The best shots of the 2023 Draft

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
The dominant hand being on top allows for better stickhandling, below for better strength and control on the shot, especially with the modern sticks with the nuanced shafts.

Which dmen in this draft can really crank it from the point?

never hard to find the guys who have their dominant hand low....usually sprawled out on the ice looking up at the roof with their gloves and helmet still sliding into the other zone

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The only reason I knew about this is because my girlfriend’s brother once went on a (half serious) rant about how he would have made it big if his parents didn’t buy him a lefty stick when he was 4.
Low-key hilarious, I’m right-handed but I shoot left because when I asked for a hockey stick at age 9 my parents had no idea what they were even looking for and bought me a lefty stick. Anecdotally, I’m a great stick handler but a piss-poor shooter. I’ve long-theorized that this is why.

Feb 19, 2018
And to be clear, it is just a theory but it makes sense to me, there are a lot more right handed pure snipers than left in the NHL despite right handed players being the minority. I'm sure there are a lot of factors but that one seems logical. I'm also naturally right and shoot left so maybe I just like having the excuse for my shitty shot :laugh:

I’m left handed and shoot right and I have a bomb. I think it comes down to practice and technique if anything. Where you place your hands is probably the most important in order to get your stick to engage properly.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I’m left handed and shoot right and I have a bomb. I think it comes down to practice and technique if anything. Where you place your hands is probably the most important in order to get your stick to engage properly.
Oh yeah it's not impossible to shoot well if you're shooting off hand, the evidence just seems to be that despite right handed players being the minority they seem more likely to be snipers.

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
It think Elias Pettersson is a good example of this, relatively slight guy, autographs with his right hand but shoots left. I'm sure he's reasonably strong, but it has to be mostly technique with him. I think he golfs right handed as well.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Bedard and Michkov obviously. Guys like Wood and Halttunen have howitzers, Moore has a dart, and Dvorsky can crank on it.

Who else? Bonus points for later round candidates. For example, Kärki can uncork one.

Was the Barlow omission intentional ?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
The only reason I knew about this is because my girlfriend’s brother once went on a (half serious) rant about how he would have made it big if his parents didn’t buy him a lefty stick when he was 4.

If my body didn’t hate me, I hadn’t gotten into the sport late, and I wasn’t a complete wuss- man!

Im somewhat ambidextrous, and it’s insanely beneficial. Stickhandling is good, shot is good, gotta think that’s why. Two left feet though, buying skates is expensive.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
It think Elias Pettersson is a good example of this, relatively slight guy, autographs with his right hand but shoots left. I'm sure he's reasonably strong, but it has to be mostly technique with him. I think he golfs right handed as well.

Al Iafrate and Bobby Hull as well, both dominant hands on top. Same with Brett Hull actually (he was left handed, had a right hand shot).

No idea what Ovechkin is though. He throws left handed, writes right handed, shoots right handed.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Bedard
Michkov
Barlow
Yager
Leonard
Smith
Nadeau
Whitelaw
Halttunen
Lardis

Dragicevic and Reinbacher have excellent point shots. Willander too.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
All good mentions, though i dont think Moore is a good shooter. He uses a lot of his forward momentum to whip it but hes not a very versatile shooter. He does have a very good back hander though.

Ill add Lardis, Mukhanov, Sidorov and Sale.

Lardis definitely ranks in the top quantile of shooters in this draft.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Is Halttunen's shot even that good? He shoots hard but it's inaccurate. He had 0 goals in 28 games in Liiga.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
All good mentions, though i dont think Moore is a good shooter. He uses a lot of his forward momentum to whip it but hes not a very versatile shooter. He does have a very good back hander though.

Ill add Lardis, Mukhanov, Sidorov and Sale.

Lardis definitely ranks in the top quantile of shooters in this draft.

Some people like to separate shooting and being a good shooter. I don't. That's why I listed Michkov. His ability to generate volume is completely bonkers and overwhelms any deficiency you might find. But he also gets a lot of power out of very little movement.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Some people like to separate shooting and being a good shooter. I don't. That's why I listed Michkov. His ability to generate volume is completely bonkers and overwhelms any deficiency you might find. But he also gets a lot of power out of very little movement.
I mean anyone who calls Michkov anything but an elite shooter is stupid.

Reactions: Realgud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad