The best shots of the 2023 Draft

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Bedard and Michkov obviously. Guys like Wood and Halttunen have howitzers, Moore has a dart, and Dvorsky can crank on it.

Who else? Bonus points for later round candidates. For example, Kärki can uncork one.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Michkov’s shot doesn’t seem to be all that.

Barlow and Yager have to be mentioned here. Both are absolute sure-fire NHLers on the strength of their skating and snapshots alone.

Came here to say this but Bedard is heads and shoulders above everyone else in this draft and has had an NHL shot since the age of 15.

Lavar Ball

Neva Lost
Apr 23, 2022
Chino Hills, CA
Michkov’s shot doesn’t seem to be all that.

Barlow and Yager have to be mentioned here. Both are absolute sure-fire NHLers on the strength of their skating and snapshots alone.
Agreed, Michkov doesn't have a weak shot by any means but his puck skills, IQ, playmaking are all bigger strengths IMO.

On top of Bedard, Barlow, and Yager, I also think Dvorsky, Wood, Nadeau have some of the best shots in the draft

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Agreed, Michkov doesn't have a weak shot by any means but his puck skills, IQ, playmaking are all bigger strengths IMO.

On top of Bedard, Barlow, and Yager, I also think Dvorsky, Wood, Nadeau have some of the best shots in the draft

It's weird how a lot of the prospects that have good shots tend to shoot right for some reason. Or it's maybe more noticeable because there are so many more left shooting players.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
It's weird how a lot of the prospects that have good shots tend to shoot right for some reason. Or it's maybe more noticeable because there are so many more left shooting players.
A lot of left handed players are naturally right handed. Having your dominant hand at the top of your stick doesn't allow you to use the flex of your stick as effectively. Right handed players have their dominant hand down their stick and have more control on their flex and shot as a result. There are definitely right handed players who are naturally left handed but it's not as common.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
A lot of left handed players are naturally right handed. Having your dominant hand at the top of your stick doesn't allow you to use the flex of your stick as effectively. Right handed players have their dominant hand down their stick and have more control on their flex and shot as a result. There are definitely right handed players who are naturally left handed but it's not as common.
Fantastic theory! I had not considered this before, but it seems plainly obvious.

Reactions: NitroF and Atoyot

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Fantastic theory! I had not considered this before, but it seems plainly obvious.
And to be clear, it is just a theory but it makes sense to me, there are a lot more right handed pure snipers than left in the NHL despite right handed players being the minority. I'm sure there are a lot of factors but that one seems logical. I'm also naturally right and shoot left so maybe I just like having the excuse for my shitty shot :laugh:

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
And to be clear, it is just a theory but it makes sense to me, there are a lot more right handed pure snipers than left in the NHL despite right handed players being the minority. I'm sure there are a lot of factors but that one seems logical. I'm also naturally right and shoot left so maybe I just like having the excuse for my shitty shot :laugh:
You and me both, man.

Reactions: Atoyot

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The dominant hand being on top allows for better stickhandling, below for better strength and control on the shot, especially with the modern sticks with the nuanced shafts.

Which dmen in this draft can really crank it from the point?

Reactions: Atoyot

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
The dominant hand being on top allows for better stickhandling, below for better strength and control on the shot, especially with the modern sticks with the nuanced shafts.

Then why is my stick handling so shitty? :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Dominance and hn777

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
4 of the top5 prospects have great or better shots.
Bedard - God mode shot
Michkov - good shot.
Fantilli - great hard shot
Smith - Great shot.

Envision all of them having 40+ goal seasons.

Reactions: hn777

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Among the first round guys, Reinbacher and Willander have good heavy slappers, but nothing Jiricek level. ASP doesn't have a heavy shot option. Simashev has a muffin shot. Gulyayev I think the same.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Shot I think is often distinct from goal scoring ability. Timing is everything. Oliver Moore has a better shot than Michkov and all the NTDP top liners, but they're all better goal scorers.

Yager has a phenomenal shot but I question his goal scoring ability. Barlow I think has a phenomenal shot, probably the fastest drag release I've ever seen, and I think his instincts and timing are good, but with his skating I'm not sure he'll get a ton of looks every game.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Carson Rehkopf

He has a great wrist shot but it seems to take him a while to get it off. He scored 30 goals this year. He was second line center until the trade deadline and then the Rangers picked up a center and he got bumped down to the third line and played with lesser players. 16 of his 30 goals came on the power play so with more time and space he seems to excel. He is 6’2, center, great shot. He should be a second round pick.

Reactions: Realgud

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021
The only reason I knew about this is because my girlfriend’s brother once went on a (half serious) rant about how he would have made it big if his parents didn’t buy him a lefty stick when he was 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad