The best player's nickname in the League

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
When Glen Metropolit (memba him?) was playing in Switzerland, his nickname was "Pac-Man" because his head was completely shaved + he had no facial hair.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I find of all the major sports, hockey players are the least original when it comes to nicknames.

There was a period of time in 2006/2007 when Ray Emery of the Sens and Andrew Raycroft of the Leafs were both nicknamed "Razor". I think I watched a Sportscentre recap where in the post game interviews a player from each team said, "Razor was really sharp out there tonight" :shakehead

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
This isn't a particularly good nickname, but it's interesting to note that when Chris Kunitz and Tom Kuhnhackl were on the Penguins active roster they both went by the nickname "Kuny" (Koo-nee).

Kuhnhackl said that at a few instances it confused them and there were times when Sullivan would summon "Kuny" to the ice, and they would hesitate because they weren't sure which one he was talking to. Kuhnhackl said he almost accidentally took a "Too many men" penalty because they both jumped on the ice at the same time.

C Plus

Jun 6, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Chris Thorburn is GOAT.

-Scoreburn
-Sniper
-Thor
-The Nose
-4th Line Jesus
-Thornburn
-The Right, Honourable Christoph McDangles

Bondoao1

Oct 4, 2009
SoCal
Dustin "Pancakes" Penner

pancakes_aficionado_dustin_penner_autographed_box_of_aunt_jemima_for_fan.jpg

Story here:
https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/kings-dustin-penner-injures-himself-while-eating-stack-155530523.html

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Mario Jr being an anagram of Jaromir is pretty fn cool.

On the other end of the spectrum, stamkos being called Stammer the Hammer is so awful.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
This isn't a particularly good nickname, but it's interesting to note that when Chris Kunitz and Tom Kuhnhackl were on the Penguins active roster they both went by the nickname "Kuny" (Koo-nee).

Kuhnhackl said that at a few instances it confused them and there were times when Sullivan would summon "Kuny" to the ice, and they would hesitate because they weren't sure which one he was talking to. Kuhnhackl said he almost accidentally took a "Too many men" penalty because they both jumped on the ice at the same time.

I think they switched to call Kuhnhackl "Tommy" to avoid confusion. Must have been tough though as I imagine he's been refereed to as "Kuny" for his whole North American career.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I think, Cameron Whynot has a better last name, than any nicknames in the league. Of course, Cameron himself isn't in the league so far...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad