The Best Ever Arizona Coyotes Free Agent Signing

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Amonte, Hull, Nedved, Jovanovski and Ribeiro were the five biggest UFA signings I can think of. The first three contributed for less than a season each, Ribeiro imploded on himself and Jovo fizzled out hard. All five signings were mistakes in hindsight.

Let's hope Gogo turns out to be the best.
Please, please let the FA gods shine on us once, just once...

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
As much as he gets beat up around here, it's Smith. Yes he benefitted in the past from good defense, and has struggled more recently, but that is most goalies. You never find a team that is in last place, who's goalie wins the vezina. When you look at some of the crap goalies this team has suffered through, Smith actually looks pretty good.

Jovo is second. I'm no fan of him, but they at least got some miles out of the signing.

The vast majority have ranked somewhere between meh and blech.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Jovo was only really bad for the first and the final years of his contract. The years in between the deal was fine. First year he was injured/recovering from surgery. Last year he was old. The rest of the time, he was a good player for us.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
As much as he gets beat up around here, it's Smith.

It really isn't. I mean, I don't want to give the impression that I'm bagging on you personally, but we are too heavily influenced by the 2012 division championship in this thread. Even looking through that lens, though, the real UFA MVP of that season was BY FAR Ray Whitney, who led the team with 77 points and 53 (!) assists, not to mention leading the team at +26. Aucoin would be second, because he was the anchor on the backend.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I dunno, I think you can make the case for Smith. For this question, he needs to be judged on that initial 2 year, 2 mil per contract. Yeah the 2012 team was defensively structured, but so were the previous years under Dave Tippett. Years in which Ray Whitney was also impressive (57 points, behind only Yandle (59) and Doan (60)) but years in which Ilya Bryzgalov also **** the bed when it mattered, despite playing under the same defensive structure.

This franchise made its greatest playoff run ever and Mike Smith was the biggest reason for that. Had we won the Cup that year, is there any doubt that Smith wins the Conn Smythe? Remember Game 6 in Chicago? He dragged this team into Round 2.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
If Smith finishes his contract here, he will probably be the franchise leader in wins, saves, shutouts, and have a fighting chance at save % and gaa.

If Whitney was here for 8 years, he might be the winner. Comparing the two, each had a couple noteworthy seasons but Smith wins on overall contribution.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad