The Best Ever Arizona Coyotes Free Agent Signing

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
My first thought was Ray Whitney. My second thought was Adrian Aucoin. I guess Smith's lousy play and petulant behavior the last few years made me forget that he was the biggest reason for that run. Went from best signing in team history to team's worst contract just like that.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Whitney and Aucoin did more for the team culture and performance than Smith. Smith did well in the playoffs but he basically reaped the rewards of playing for a pretty good defensive team and parlayed that into a stupid contract.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
This was a season where Jason LaBarbera's stats were 2.54 GAA/.912 SV. Curtis McElhinney played two games with a 1.67 GAA/.944 SV.

I think it's safe to say that Smith's career year was less some astonishing feat of hockey skill, and more a team built to trap the hell out of the league. And every year since 2012 has belied the idea that he was our greatest FA signing of all time.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Brett Hull was the best free agent signing :sarcasm:

If not for that durned stoppage, it could have been great, really... :laugh:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Amazing how Smiths play started to decline with reduction in size of goaltending equipment.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Traded for him both times

It's pretty funny how when you look over the list of acquisitions and impact it's mostly centered around guys we traded for who stuck around.

Vrbata
Morris
Langkow (pt 1)
Vermette

Heck you could go back to Roenick too. And I'm leaving out a few we traded for at a young age like Z, Ballard, Mara.

You look at FAs, you're down to Smith, Burke, Whitney and Jovo. I'm not sure Whitney played here long enough to qualify for my tastes.

The answer might be Burke. He didn't carry them as far, but he carried a worse team to the playoffs and put up numbers for longer than Smith. Jovo had a similar curve as Smith, starting off well and the last 2-3 years went into the ground.

ibroce

Jul 11, 2014
I would definitely put Jovo in our top 2 or 3 based solely on the fact that he gave us so many good years and was a part of the team that won 50 games.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
This was a season where Jason LaBarbera's stats were 2.54 GAA/.912 SV. Curtis McElhinney played two games with a 1.67 GAA/.944 SV.

I think it's safe to say that Smith's career year was less some astonishing feat of hockey skill, and more a team built to trap the hell out of the league. And every year since 2012 has belied the idea that he was our greatest FA signing of all time.

Speaking of LaBarbara....

He was just named goalie coach for the Calgary Hitmen.

Kyle003p

Dec 17, 2007
Peoria, Il
It's pretty funny how when you look over the list of acquisitions and impact it's mostly centered around guys we traded for who stuck around.

Vrbata
Morris
Langkow (pt 1)
Vermette

Heck you could go back to Roenick too. And I'm leaving out a few we traded for at a young age like Z, Ballard, Mara.

You look at FAs, you're down to Smith, Burke, Whitney and Jovo. I'm not sure Whitney played here long enough to qualify for my tastes.

The answer might be Burke. He didn't carry them as far, but he carried a worse team to the playoffs and put up numbers for longer than Smith. Jovo had a similar curve as Smith, starting off well and the last 2-3 years went into the ground.

Sean Burke was also acquired through trade, from Florida for mikael stelankov (spelling?)

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Amonte, Hull, Nedved, Jovanovski and Ribeiro were the five biggest UFA signings I can think of. The first three contributed for less than a season each, Ribeiro imploded on himself and Jovo fizzled out hard. All five signings were mistakes in hindsight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad