The best all around musician of all-time.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Going by the criteria in the OP, I would say El-P. He is probably the greatest hip-hop producer of all time and a top 5 MC. Technically advanced flows and great lyrics with one of the best discographies in the genre.

Ignoring lyrics, I would say Brian Wilson. An all around incredible songwriter, singer, vocal harmony arranger, and producer. He also wasn't terrible on bass and piano.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I'd say generally people who are multidimensional or can play more than one instrument. compose, produce, etc.

Jim O'Rourke as a guitarist, producer, sound manipulator, etc.
Prince
Miles Davis
Stevie Wonder (his drumming is underrated, he had unique feel and groove)
Quincy Jones
Todd Rundgren
Frank Zappa
Nile Rodgers
Joe Zawinul
John Frusciante
Andre 3000
Alain Johannes

Some shout outs to Madonna, Simon Green aka Bonobo, and then guys like Pepper Keenan (Corrosion of Conformity and down) and Brian Baker (Minor Threat, Bad Religion, Fake Names), and Phil Collins/Mike Rutherford from Genesis, and Keith Strickland from The B-52s who have done double duty or switched main instruments in bands based on circumstance.

I'll also show Dave Grohl some love. I'm not a fan of his always winking at the audience and public persona the last 25 years, and I like about three of the Foo Fighters albums, but he was able to become quite competent on the guitar and as a songwriter after his generation-changing drum work in Nirvana.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Mike Patton did a first Fantomas demo all by himself and sent it to the other guys to convince them to join in.

He also recorded Chariot Choogle, a Marc Bolan cover on the Great Jewish Composer series, all by himself as "Fantomas". He recorded a few movie soundtracks too, mostly by himself.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Abbath from Immortal. He did bass, drums, vocals, and guitar at various points in Immortal's oeuvre.

Varg Vikernes from Burzum is perhaps even more amazing for this topic.

Also, maybe I'd throw in whoever the frontman is from Toxic Holocaust, from their first two or three albums.

Forgot Chris Reifert (Death, Autopsy) and Paul Ledney (Profanatica, Havohej). Both of these guys did drums and vocals (and probably much of the songwriting). Pure awesome.

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I'm not sure I've ever seen a thread where the OP doesn't understand his own topic

Here's a name that hasn't been mentioned yet, but he checks all the boxes, and scores incredibly high in each one as a talented vocalist, songwriter, musician, and multi-instrumentalist...

Jeff Martin of The Tea Party

Last edited:

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
After thinking about it, and excluding obvious extremes in 1 part and lesser talents in other aspects I'd say:

Chuck Berry
Prince
Stevie Wonder
Jimi Hendrix

The metal fan in me wants to suggest Alexi Laiho, but I just can't.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Freddie Mercury. He's an A+ in vocals, lyrics, songwriting but he's underrated as a pianist. He played the piano like it was an extension of himself.

Prince is probably #2.

Springsteen is up there. Only "very good" as a guitarist and vocals but hard to beat at songwriting, lyrics.

My Best-Carey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad