The best all around musician of all-time.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Who had the best combo of songwriting, vocals, lyrics and musical talent?

I'll throw out some names, some are lacking in some departments but are so good in others they make up for it:

Bob Dylan - his songwriting on it's own puts him here
Jimmy Paige - the engine of the Zep
David Gilmour - the same for the Floyd
Neil Young - ticks off all of the boxes, many could make their guitar sing, he sang with his guitar

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Steve Harris...doesn't sing,but certainly does everything else brilliantly

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
I think Billy Joel has a strong all around game. I'm a fan of his vocals in addition to being excellent instrumentally (piano) and songwriter. But this is hard to answer as for example I like Springsteen's songwriting and singing more than his but presumably he gets less credit for "instrumental talent". But I think songwriting is easily the most important part so I overall prefer his talent I guess.

Reactions: Lehnerd Skinnerd

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
"Who had the best combo of songwriting, vocals, lyrics and musical talent?"

using the above criteria for pop/rock musicians:

freddie mercury
mark knopfler
sting
john fogerty
richie kotzen
jimi hendrix
paul mccartney
glenn tilbrook

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Who had the best combo of songwriting, vocals, lyrics and musical talent?
Prince has been mentioned, he's a good one. I'd add Ray Manzarek from the Doors. He was a good songwriter, and the Doors could do lots of genres skillfully.
I thought Axl Rose was a good singer/songwriter once upon a time..
Danzig has done a lot of genres well.. punk, metal, and classical compositions.
And Robert Johnson. He was such a great blues man, I think there was a legend, he had struck a deal with the Devil, to get so much talent(?)

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Interesting question. The term "all-round" needs a firmer definition. If it is just pure musical composition, then Taylor Swift will get a place, as much as I like to avoid it.

Also, is dance/ performance included too? If it is, then only Michael Jackson and Prince fits the bill.

Finally, is it limited to just America? If not, then the list gets a lot longer. One name I continue to circle around is Zara Larrson. I feel she is in the Taylor Swift category, where I am not that big of a fan, and it feels weird to include her on all-around list, but one cannot deny that she can be on a list like this.

Then there is the slew of K-Pop stars. In fact, the list would probably be dominated by them. The best of them can sing, rap, compose, write lyrics, and dance too, which pretty much blows everyone out of the water. For example, members of BTS are still young, and they are about to enter their military enlistment, but a couple of them already have over 100 writing credits.

Last edited:

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I can't argue Michael Jackson didn't have musical talent, he certainly had an ear for it. But I don't think he ever learned to play any instrument or learned much about music theory. I remember reading interviews that talked about how Jackson's rough demos for songs were just him replicating keys, bass, drums etc.. by voice. I'd love to hear those demos but have doubts they'll be released.

With that in mind Prince > Jackson as an all around musician in my opinion.

SepticFish

Jul 14, 2005
I'd love to hear those demos but have doubts they'll be released.
There's some demos out there. I'm not much of a Michael fan, but I remember hearing this and finding it interesting.

Also not a huge Prince fan, but you can't deny the talent. He played every instrument on his debut album. A couple people that I do love have done similar things. Steven Wilson was the only member of Porcupine Tree until their third album, and Devin Townsend recorded his Ziltoid album all by himslef. Although they lose a little credit for using drum machines.

Then there's Geddy Lee. He could sing, play bass, guitar and keys all on the same song.

Reactions: barriers

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Lennon and McCartney come to mind off the cuff. Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys was a musical genius. Zappa and Prince who were mentioned above are great choices too.

I am a metal fan and I am drawing a blank based on the criteria of vocalist and multi instrumentalist of anyone in metal that fits this. The criteria are more apt for the singer/songwriter types. Dave Mustaine is about the best example that comes to mind even if he is nto the greatest vocalist though his style fits his music.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
Lennon and McCartney come to mind off the cuff. Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys was a musical genius. Zappa and Prince who were mentioned above are great choices too.

I am a metal fan and I am drawing a blank based on the criteria of vocalist and multi instrumentalist of anyone in metal that fits this. The criteria are more apt for the singer/songwriter types. Dave Mustaine is about the best example that comes to mind even if he is nto the greatest vocalist though his style fits his music.
for metal probably james hetfield, axl rose, zakk wylde & geddy lee.

Reactions: Behn Wilson

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Prince.

edit: Tom Scholz is a close second though.

Underrated guitar player, great organ player, played every instrument on the 1st Boston album. Add to it his engineering genius and all the different pedals and sounds he invented in his basement.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
I like him as a guitarist but I would not rank Zack up there in that echelon, agree with the other 3.
zakk does a good greg allman impression. i think he once even jammed and sang with them on stage.

you're right though - coming up a list of names from the metal field that fit's the op's criteria is pretty tough. those were the only 4 i could come up with.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia

It could be tough given the general obscurity of some of the bands but I think of Dan Swano. Vocalist/songwriter for Edge of Sanity and others, guitar and drums for Bloodbath, vocalist, guitarist, AND keyboards for Witherscape, and that doesn't even account for the gazillion albums he has produced/mixed for bands like Opeth and Insomnium.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
zakk does a good greg allman impression. i think he once even jammed and sang with them on stage.

you're right though - coming up a list of names from the metal field that fit's the op's criteria is pretty tough. those were the only 4 i could come up with.
The criteria seems to really fit the Bob Dylan / Joni Mitchell type singer songwriters and really is not what metal is about.

Simple categories like greatest guitarist or vocalist would be much better for ranking talent in metal.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Trent Reznor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad