The Belmont Arena: If Your Construction Lasts More Than 2 Years, Call a Doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Belmont may have killed the Coliseum before it even opens. There’s a reason it wasn’t included in the sale of Barclays, and I can’t imagine anyone is looking to inherit $100m in debt with Belmont opening within a year.
Joe Tsai didn't want the Coliseum as a component in the purchase of the Nets and Barclays Center because he knew it would be a money pit. The Coliseum went on life support the day Belmont was announced.

What a waste of money the county saddled their taxpayers with.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
So we're going back to Brooklyn or are the plans to shutter for anything non-Islanders related?
Nassau County is still the owner of the Coliseum. They can operate it themselves, they can help find someone to buy out Prokhorov (good luck with that). Or like @Tater Trotz said, maybe Nassau County can find a temporary subcontractor.

Again, I hope Nassau County got their money up front from Prokhorov, but somehow I doubt that.:sarcasm:

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Nassau County is still the owner of the Coliseum. They can operate it themselves, they can help find someone to buy out Prokhorov (good luck with that). Or like @Tater Trotz said, maybe Nassau County can find a temporary subcontractor.

Again, I hope Nassau County got their money up front from Prokhorov, but somehow I doubt that.:sarcasm:

Seems to me the Isles may have the upper hand. They can offer to play the last season at the Coli but it's going to cost the county. County may have no choice as a shuttered Coli would be hard to explain.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011

As always, Baumbach needless speculation. Islanders could play in Brooklyn next year only if this entire shitshow isn't at least temporarily settled by the time this becomes relevant.

His "expect games to be played in Brooklyn next year" is unfounded right now and unnecessary.

Reactions: xECK29x

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Joe Tsai didn't want the Coliseum as a component in the purchase of the Nets and Barclays Center because he knew it would be a money pit. The Coliseum went on life support the day Belmont was announced.

What a waste of money the county saddled their taxpayers with.

All the articles say that the renovations were privately financed, and the county gets a cut of the take, with guaranteed minimums. I don't know if the venue operators get out from under that by shuttering it.

Reactions: MJF

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015

According to the Newsday article they get paid annually lol

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!
All the articles say that the renovations were privately financed, and the county gets a cut of the take, with guaranteed minimums. I don't know if the venue operators get out from under that by shuttering it.
I’m pretty sure the county guaranteed the financing. So they’re on the hook if Onexim bails.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

As always, Baumbach needless speculation. Islanders could play in Brooklyn next year only if this entire shitshow isn't at least temporarily settled by the time this becomes relevant.

His "expect games to be played in Brooklyn next year" is unfounded right now and unnecessary.

I'm sure Brooklyn would be the first option if the season were to be starting tomorrow.

Fortunately, next season will likely not start until December or January, so there is still time to smooth out another option, including playing at the Coliseum.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
I'm sure Brooklyn would be the first option if the season were to be starting tomorrow.

Fortunately, next season will likely not start until December or January, so there is still time to smooth out another option, including playing at the Coliseum.

County is not going to let the Coliseum sit there for too long, I'd think. Just wonder what their approach is going to be.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Coliseum is f***ed once Belmont is open, but I am guessing they are going to find some way to draw revenue from it until than, if there is hockey next year and it is none of this neutral ice thing I will bet anything they are playing it at Nassau

Reactions: The Lighthouse

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
I'm still not buying those Tweets that this is "the end" of the Coliseum yet. This development just happened today. There's still time to get a temporary operator if need be.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I'm still not buying those Tweets that this is "the end" of the Coliseum yet. This development just happened today. There's still time to get a temporary operator if need be.
It’ll be interesting to see how this all unfolds. If the Islanders are granted a lease from the county, Prokhorov will still be on the hook for 100m, but the Islanders won’t have access to any of his remaining staff. They’d have to hire and pay all new event staff while most likely losing money for every game.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
It’ll be interesting to see how this all unfolds. If the Islanders are granted a lease from the county, Prokhorov will still be on the hook for 100m, but the Islanders won’t have access to any of his remaining staff. They’d have to hire and pay all new event staff while most likely losing money for every game.

Yeah they're not in the business of being arena operators yet. They'll most likely be a voice in the selection process or discussions regarding who would take over arena management on a temporary basis.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
If they raze the NVMC, they should definitely do a farm incubator on the site. TOH would be happy because that would be bucolic.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Thoughts on the next arena to declare it needs funding/help from municipalities? This is probably just the first of more to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad