Post-Game Talk: The Beheading of the Goathead

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
This will either be the game that lights a fire under their ass or be the start of an ugly losing streak. If they've grown at all from last year, they'll respond tomorrow night.

First things first, call up Johnson if Samuelsson is out.

Reactions: Kevbeau

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
This will either be the game that lights a fire under their ass or be the start of an ugly losing streak. If they've grown at all from last year, they'll respond tomorrow night.

You’ll get Stillman. Who has been completely invisible in Rochester. Because reasons.

jd1970

Feb 23, 2007
Downtown Buffalo

They need to dump one or two of their sacred cows.
As constituted, these guys are stone cold losers No cure for that.

Reactions: Grinder81

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Leave it to this team to score 1 goal against a guy who has a .763 save percentage. Just a pitiful performance all around. I hope the building is f***ing empty the next time they play a home game. Maybe we'll get another "Letter to the fans" begging us to show up.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Welp, So much for the win streak.

I had to work for the first hour of the game. excited to get home and watch the second half of the game. On my way home i turned in on the radio, Philly scores their fourth.......
disappointed-hercules.gif

Needless to say i didn't turn it on when i got home.

Sorry for the guys who actually watched the whole game.

Reactions: beerme1

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
My biggest fear for this year is quickly becoming reality. That they’re going to end up with the same exact massive needs they‘ve had the last two. Just spinning wheels and wasting time. They don’t get closer to finishing this roster. I’m glad fans aren’t buying tickets. Smart enough not to fall for this.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY

If they've grown at all from last year, they would have realized they were outclassed Wednesday even with the win, thanked UPL, and made sure it didn't happen again.

What is sinking in is, our coach can't match others tactically, and leaving a team entirely the same will lead them to not change very much

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
My biggest fear for this year is quickly becoming reality. That they’re going to end up with the same exact massive needs they‘ve had the last two. Just spinning wheels and wasting time. They don’t get closer to finishing this roster. I’m glad fans aren’t buying tickets. Smart enough not to fall for this.
Jokiharju had a rough-ish game but he’s been a bit of a revelation as to not being a crater. I guess that’s something. But doesn’t matter if the rest of the team is regressing

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
The book is out on the Sabres that if you skate hard and make smart passes, you can basically do what you want against them. You're also basically guaranteed a goal or two in the first few minutes of the game.

Not sure how they fix that. Their top guys just don't have that intensity in their game. They fall a lot, they make dumb passes to nobody or the other team, they make bad passes in the process of falling... they miss the net constantly, they fish for calls instead of just putting their heads down and working.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
Pretty disappointing effort. The Flyers approach was to continue doing what they did well on Wednesday, recognizing that the bounces would not likely go so badly the other way two games in a row. The Sabres, on the other hand, seem to have concluded from Wednesday’s game that scoring will come easy.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Wasnt their only lose wearing goats to the flyers last yeAr?

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
I think they’re already coming up on tying the amount of absolute stinkers they laid last season. Not a great sign
Respectfully, no. They had 12-13 games like this last year. I will concede that we are on pace for a similar number of stinkers. All teams have these games; the Avalanche just had two in a row. The key is to have fewer and fewer as the team matures.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
The eye test and the advanced stats are in agreement. This team sucks.

Sabres have lost the xGF% battle in 8 of 11 games so far this season. The 2 wins above expected are due to UPL randomly getting a shutout and 3 tipped goals against the Senators in 2 periods.

Where are all the posters who said we were on the right path and didn't need to improve the roster through UFA or trades this offseason and were happy to run it back with Okposo, Jost, Olofsson, Comrie, UPL?

Reactions: JLewyB

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
I attended this one sadly. From my perspective UPL wasn’t great (even if the Sabres gave up some primo chances). Sabres had some dangerous chances of their own but couldn’t finish.

Hopefully a better result tomorrow.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
The eye test and the advanced stats are in agreement. This team sucks.

Sabres have lost the xGF% battle in 8 of 11 games so far this season. The 2 wins above expected are due to UPL randomly getting a shutout and 3 tipped goals against the Senators in 2 periods.

Where are all the posters who said we were on the right path and didn't need to improve the roster through UFA or trades this offseason and were happy to run it back with Okposo, Jost, Olofsson, Comrie, UPL?
You are going to have a hard time finding these people because they don't exist. This is like the biggest false narrative on these boards. Almost everyone would have been ecstatic if we had signed a true top 4 D or veteran goalie. Just because some of us weren't screaming about the sky falling when it didn't happen, doesn't mean we didn't think signing a top 4 D or a vet goaltender would have been good. When nothing happened I took the approach of waiting to see how the team performed before panicking, a lot of other people took the same approach. That's not the same as saying we were on the right path and didn't need to improve the roster.

I am pretty sure there was a poll at the end of last season asking what you'd like to see in the off season and it overwhelmingly supported finding a top 4 D and vet goaltender.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
G
Uhh...Joki was fairly decent aside from the bad bounce in the first
Tage for being the only one who looked like he gave a ****

B
Samuelsson is the "my bones are made of glass" guy from SpongeBob
Captain Kyle is toast
Tuch should probably get a game or two off to get right with whatever's ailing him. Except knowing this training staff, he'll be out a month
Cozens continues to be ass
I have a hard time pinning much blame on UPL, but breakaways are pretty much automatic goals against him. He's about as good at stopping those as Lehner was at stopping shootouts.
Krebs is invisible except for when he's turning the puck over with bad hope passes
Dahlin

U
Kevyn's blind faith that everyone would repeat career years and general refusal to weaponize the ****ton of assets and cap space they've had for most of his tenure
Team-wide lack of grit/perseverance
Granato/Adams for refusing to upgrade on their assistant coaches
Whatever idiot behind the bench runs the PP

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $865.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark