Status
Not open for further replies.

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
I drink liquor as well as brews.

I prefer Maker's 46 for American Whiskey, Finlandia for Vodka and mixing, Macallan for Scotch, Broker's for Gin, and Jameson as my fall-back.

Makers mark is good. If you can afford it I suggest angels envy which is too good for your standard mixed drink. I really haven't has much Irish whiskey so I need to try some. Canadian whisky is good too. Not a fan of vodka, gin or scotch though

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
My brothers is a sous chef down there and he recommends something every time we go. Last time I got a Manhattan and it was great. A couple weeks later I asked for one on South Side since I had just had a good one. I told the bartender that rail bourbon was fine and about 5 minutes later he came back and went "We don't have any of that rail bourbon" so I told them to forget it and ordered a beer.

Their old fashioned is great (I stole the recipe and make it for myself and family) so I would imagine their Manhattan is quite good. When I was there I ordered bourbon and coke and buffalo trace was the lowest grade they had. Not bad by any means but its odd that would be the cheapest they had

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
I would really like to try a Manhattan sometime. It's on my list the next time I'm out somewhere that makes good cocktails.

My favorite cocktail to get is probably the Moscow Mule. I like the taste of ginger and lime a lot and it seems to just all come together well.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Maybe it's not as common of a term as I thought. My Girlfriend use to tend bar and she knew so I just kind of assumed it was common knowledge among bar tenders.

Def common term.

For those who don't know (if there still is any):
Refers to the "usually" **** to average bottles kept in the "rail" down below the bar for making drinks fast. You don't want to put that kind of alcohol in front of the customers. Most common practice in college or meat market type bars.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
So I'm curious; how many of you are liquor drinkers and what is your preferred beverage? I'm partial to old fashioned myself. meat and potatoes has a good rendition, and oddly tgi Fridays in monroeville makes a good one too (yeah, I know, sounds real strange)

I like Jameson, Bulleit, Maker's Mark for whiskey. I drink gin fairly often as well. I can do tequila here and there. Drink rum if it's in a solid tikki style drink. Vodka I do here and there.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
So I'm curious; how many of you are liquor drinkers and what is your preferred beverage? I'm partial to old fashioned myself. meat and potatoes has a good rendition, and oddly tgi Fridays in monroeville makes a good one too (yeah, I know, sounds real strange)

I've been drinking manhattan's for several years now with the occasional old fashioned. Probably drink the same amount of both these days. The past year or so I've been on a major bourbon kick, drinking it on the rocks most of the time. Some of my favorites:

Blanton's (50 bucks though)
Eagle Rare 10
Four Roses single barrel or small batch
Bulleit bourbon is great, though Four Roses makes it for them

Sucks buying good bourbon in PA. Spotty selection and overpriced.

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
I would really like to try a Manhattan sometime. It's on my list the next time I'm out somewhere that makes good cocktails.

My favorite cocktail to get is probably the Moscow Mule. I like the taste of ginger and lime a lot and it seems to just all come together well.

Manhattan's are good and its a drink that will make a difference with better bourbon. An old fashioned is sweeter so the bourbon quality doesn't matter ad much. Not a fan of either lime or ginger so not a fan of the Moscow mule. Funny I read an article on what drinks bartenders found over rated and underrated. Moscow mule they said was over rated and campari under rated. Personally I can't stand campari.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

Red liquor and wine in the fall/winter, clear liquor and white wine in the spring/summer.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Finally got some Elysian Night Owl Pumpkin. It's really, really good. We don't get Elysian in Ohio so I had my mom find some in Pittsburgh. It's in my top 5 pumpkin ales for sure.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Here's my current drinks of choice:

Ardbeg_Ardbeg_Uigeadail__.jpg

Ardbeg Uigeadail - $80 or so

laphroaig_quarter_cask.jpg

Laphroaig Quarter Cask - I think $50 or so

bowmore_15_darkest.jpg

Bowmore "The Darkest" 15 yo - $75 I think?

As for beer, here's what Ive been on recently:

green%20flash%20west%20coast%20ipa%2022%20oz-500x500.jpg

Green Flash - West Coast IPA (YUMMMMMMM)

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Finally got some Elysian Night Owl Pumpkin. It's really, really good. We don't get Elysian in Ohio so I had my mom find some in Pittsburgh. It's in my top 5 pumpkin ales for sure.
Hell yeah, great stuff.

Their Great Pumpkin (imperial ale) and Dark O' the Moon (stout) are also reallly good. The stout in particular. I'm saving it for a special occasion this year. Only come in bombers as far as I know though.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Hell yeah, great stuff.

Their Great Pumpkin (imperial ale) and Dark O' the Moon (stout) are also reallly good. The stout in particular. I'm saving it for a special occasion this year. Only come in bombers as far as I know though.

Yeah I need to get my hands on them next year. Any brewery that has a great pumpkin festival and makes 4+ pumpkin beers has to know what their doing. I love ST Warlock so I'm sure I'd really like Dark O'

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Just scored a Deschutes variety pack, 6 types of beer, 3 of which I've never had. Stoked! Obsidian Stout has a 94/100 on BeerAdvocate.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
IPA's are OVERRATED and OVER Done

Give me a stout any and every day. FYI Green Flash makes an excellent stout. But my favorite is Samuel Smiths Organic Chocolate Stout.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
IPA's are OVERRATED and OVER Done

Give me a stout any and every day. FYI Green Flash makes an excellent stout. But my favorite is Samuel Smiths Organic Chocolate Stout.

The IPA comment is a matter of opinion of course. I enjoy most styles of beer, especially if done well. I agree that Sam Smiths chocolate stout is very good.

412 Others

5Cups beats 2Cups
Mar 24, 2009
Black + Gold = Pittsburgh
has anyone tried the "headless wylie" by rivertowne? these guys have managed to do what other brewers have been trying for years... they've cloned the Pumking. seriously, it's dead on. and of all the brewers to pull it off. :laugh: (I've never been much of a rivertowne fan)

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
has anyone tried the "headless wylie" by rivertowne? these guys have managed to do what other brewers have been trying for years... they've cloned the Pumking. seriously, it's dead on. and of all the brewers to pull it off. :laugh: (I've never been much of a rivertowne fan)

Rivertowne is above average but definitely not great. I'm going to have to try that one. The one rivertowne is literally down the hill from me

DockEllisExperience

Feb 1, 2007
Pittsburgh
I've been drinking manhattan's for several years now with the occasional old fashioned. Probably drink the same amount of both these days. The past year or so I've been on a major bourbon kick, drinking it on the rocks most of the time. Some of my favorites:

Blanton's (50 bucks though)
Eagle Rare 10
Four Roses single barrel or small batch
Bulleit bourbon is great, though Four Roses makes it for them

Sucks buying good bourbon in PA. Spotty selection and overpriced.

You have to troll the internet site for the rare stuff, just scored an Eagle Rare 17 there last week!

PensFan68

May 6, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Anyone see any Goose Island bourbon stout around the Pittsburgh area?

When KBS comes out, will they have it in Giant Eagles do you think? This is a must try on my list.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
You have to troll the internet site for the rare stuff, just scored an Eagle Rare 17 there last week!

Wow. Just found a few that I was looking for. That really helps.

Are you buying online? Do they ship to you or to your local store?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad