Music: The Beatles, greatest "popular consensus" band of all time?

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I know LESS about music than anyone here so it is very hard for me to make an argument. I`m just shocked because, based on what I do know, the Bee Gees get so little respect.

In a thread about popular consensus I guess the only criteria would be some combination of album sales and general fan/critical reception. So I'm not sure what you think you need to 'know' to put an argument forth on those grounds.

They seem as legitimate a suggestion as any other.

Sort of surprised to not see anybody make the case for Radiohead. Maybe they just don't have the sales?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
In a thread about popular consensus I guess the only criteria would be some combination of album sales and general fan/critical reception. So I'm not sure what you think you need to 'know' to put an argument forth on those grounds.

They seem as legitimate a suggestion as any other.
Well... I did my best in Post 199. :)

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Really? Janie's Got A Gun?

That's just a lie. Thunderstruck. Or you're living under a rock.

Note: I dislike both groups... especially AC/DC
Careful with those assumptions, grasshopper. Never heard of Janie's Got a Gun. And never heard of Thunderstruck, either. My one AC/DC song was Dirty Deeds, which I think I remember only because it is so mindless..

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
You can't escape that song.
LOL. I remember hearing it at dances when I was young.

The only things I remember about AC/DC is their lead singer had a gravely voice, the guitarist use to wear a school boy uniform, and a lot of friends liked them in high school.

If I heard songs, I probably recognize them but, off the top of my head, for a $1,000 I could NOT name you one.

Edit : "Back In Black" comes to mind as an album name but that may be for another band.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Careful with those assumptions, grasshopper. Never heard of Janie's Got a Gun. And never heard of Thunderstruck, either. My one AC/DC song was Dirty Deeds, which I think I remember only because it is so mindless..

I'll throw out to the wind, have you ever heard....

AC/DC's:
-Back in Black
-Highway to Hell
-You Shook Me All Night Long
-TNT
-Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
-Hell's Bells

Aerosmith's:
-"I Don't Want to Miss a Thing"(The Armageddon song)
-Sweet Emotion
-Dream On
-Dude Looks Like a Lady
-Walk This Way
-Back in the Saddle

AC/DC's songs do get a lot of radio play and use in movies/commercials. Aerosmith does too, but I feel AC/DC's are more memorable.

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

AC/DC's:
-Back in Black
-Highway to Hell
-TNT
-Hell's Bells

Aerosmith's:
-Sweet Emotion
-Dream On
-Dude Looks Like a Lady
-Walk This Way
-Back in the Saddle

AC/DC's songs do get a lot of radio play and use in movies/commercials. Aerosmith does too, but I feel AC/DC's are more memorable.

I recognize ALL of the AC/DC songs you mentioned (but I could not provide any of the words to the songs other than the titles) and all of the Aerosmith songs except I Don't Want To Miss A Thing and Back In The Saddle.

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017

AC/DC's:
-Back in Black
-Highway to Hell
-TNT
-Hell's Bells

Aerosmith's:
-Sweet Emotion
-Dream On
-Dude Looks Like a Lady
-Walk This Way
-Back in the Saddle

Ahah, nice lists. I Don't Want To Miss A Thing & Dude Looks Like A Lady (Mrs Doubtfire) - hard not to know... And well, Aerosmith and films brings back the only funny scene from this one:

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What turned me off Aerosmith was the insane similarities between the "Cryin'" "Crazy" and "Amazing" power ballads that were essentially released back to back to back.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The best rendition of Thunderstruck I've heard is on the rooftop patio of Mick Fleetwood's bar in Maui where a bagpiper plays it fairly often as part of the sunset ceremony every night.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

AC/DC's:
-Back in Black
-Highway to Hell
-TNT
-Hell's Bells

Aerosmith's:
-Sweet Emotion
-Dream On
-Dude Looks Like a Lady
-Walk This Way
-Back in the Saddle

I'm certainly familiar with You Shook Me All Night Long, but by Led Zep,, not by AC/DC and the already mentioned Dirty Deeds is the one song of theirs that I know. The rest ring no bell of any kind whatsoever. Aerosmith is like a complete black hole in my consciousness. I guess my feeling about them was "Why do I need to listen to these creeps when I've got the Rolling Stones?"

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The best rendition of Thunderstruck I've heard is on the rooftop patio of Mick Fleetwood's bar in Maui where a bagpiper plays it fairly often as part of the sunset ceremony every night.
Hey, I've been in that bar in Lahaina....and at sunset on the second floor patio...and with the bagpipe guy. At least, twice, I think. Never paid a whit's attention to what he was playing, though.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Hey, I've been in that bar in Lahaina....and at sunset on the second floor patio...and with the bagpipe guy. At least, twice, I think. Never paid a whit's attention to what he was playing, though.

:biglaugh:

Thunderstruck is a pretty memorable riff, especially on the bagpipe.

It's a great spot in the evening though, those Moscow Mules are the tops.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
:biglaugh:

Thunderstruck is a pretty memorable riff, especially on the bagpipe.

It's a great spot in the evening though, those Moscow Mules are the tops.
I was a Lava Flow man, myself. After about four it didn't make much difference, I suspect.

Reactions: NyQuil

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Had my Alexa play AC/DC greatest hits. Hated 'em all, but recognized two--You Shook Me All Night Long and Highway to Hell, though only because I heard a thousand bar bands do them over the years. I never inquired where they came from, cuz I didn't want to know. What a wretched band, awful repetitive vocals and rudimentary at best guitar solos. Only possible use for their music would be to torture prisoners at Quantanamo.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Off the top of my head (no cheating), all the Bee Gee songs I hear on the radio ALL the time (titles may be wrong and the ones in red are just lyrics because I don't know the title) :

1) Jive Talking
2) You Should Be Dancing
3) The "Maybe you're a mother or maybe you're a brother" song
4) The "You and me together, baby, for so long" song
5) "The Preacher talked to me and he smiled" song
6) "To Love Somebody" song
7) Title song to the movie "Grease"

8) How Deep Is Your Love
9) Guilty (with Barbara Streisand)
10) Women In Love by Barbara Streisand

Hopefully there are no duplicates - again, music is NOT my strong suit.

Anyway, that's pretty impressive for a band when I know nothing about music.

"Grease" is Frankie Valli not the Bee Gees.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
"Grease" is Frankie Valli not the Bee Gees.

I was thinking of Valli and the Four Seasons because of the sheer number of hit songs they put out.

They are definitely reminiscent of the Bee Gees and I think a bit under appreciated historically as well.

Both groups also wrote a lot of songs for other people as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00