Music: The Beatles, greatest "popular consensus" band of all time?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm only aware of Janie's Got a Gun from meme-y jokes like the video above, and have no idea what the actual song is or what it sounds like.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Had my Alexa play AC/DC greatest hits. Hated 'em all, but recognized two--You Shook Me All Night Long and Highway to Hell, though only because I heard a thousand bar bands do them over the years. I never inquired where they came from, cuz I didn't want to know. What a wretched band, awful repetitive vocals and rudimentary at best guitar solos. Only possible use for their music would be to torture prisoners at Quantanamo.
I haven't posted in this thread because I have no interest in the Beatles, nor any interest in saying I've never heard a majority of their songs, but I'm genuinely amazed that someone of your.... er… someone who has consumed as much music and popular culture over the course of your life as you have had never heard Thunderstruck or Back in Black before, at all, regardless of whether or not you care for the genre.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Oh hold the phone

In comparison, if I were to do Queen (off the top of my head) :

1) Bohemian Rapsody
2) We Are The Champions
3) Another One Bites The Dust
4) A Crazy Little Thing Call Love.

That's it.
I know that being from a different country from you, the sort of music that's more prevalent in popular culture for us both will vary. I know that you say you're not a big music fan, and I don't know how old you are.

But if you were to listen to

Don't Stop Me Now
Radio Gaga
I Want to Break Free
Flash Gordon

and not recognise them... I wouldn't know what to tell you.

member 51464

Oh hold the phone

I know that being from a different country from you, the sort of music that's more prevalent in popular culture for us both will vary. I know that you say you're not a big music fan, and I don't know how old you are.

Don't Stop Me Now
Radio Gaga
I Want to Break Free
Flash Gordon

I just listened to all four and do not believe I have ever heard any before. Or, if I did, it was so long ago I have no recollection of it or didn't notice.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Oh hold the phone

Don't Stop Me Now
Radio Gaga
I Want to Break Free
Flash Gordon

I recognize I Want To Be Free.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I haven't posted in this thread because I have no interest in the Beatles, nor any interest in saying I've never heard a majority of their songs, but I'm genuinely amazed that someone of your.... er… someone who has consumed as much music and popular culture over the course of your life as you have had never heard Thunderstruck or Back in Black before, at all, regardless of whether or not you care for the genre.
It really isn't as mystifying as it seems. I'm not suggesting you waste your time doing this, but if you went through my music posts historically, you would note that, with rare exceptions (REM, Tom Petty, Everly Brothes, The Cars, Jefferson Airplane, Velvet Underground and a few others), I like and almost exclusively comment on British, Brazilian, World Beat or jazz music. For someone of my....er...:wally:, this may indeed seem weird, but, outside of movies, I never have paid all that much attention to US pop culture in the first place. I never had cable TV and never had the least interest in the product of US television networks (I don't think I have ever seen a complete Simpsons episode, for example). For that matter, I have never listened to much radio, either. My favourite TV shows are almost as exclusively British or European as my favourite rock bands. Am I some kind of Anti-American grouch? Not in the least. I love American jazz and blues, classical music performers, theatre, dance, literature, photography, and conceptual art. But, for pop/rock music, the vast majority of movies and almost all television series, I prefer looking elsewhere for my entertainment. Why? Because it has been rewarding to do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
It's some form of class privilege to have never had to work a job where somebody is blaring classic rock radio in your earhole 8 hours a day.

That's how I developed a passing familiarity with most of the stuff people on here are gaga over, at least.

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
It really isn't as mystifying as it seems. I'm not suggesting you waste your time doing this, but if you went through my music posts historically, you would note that, with rare exceptions (REM, Tom Petty, Everly Brothes, The Cars, Velvet Underground and a few others), I like and almost exclusively comment on British, Brazilian, World Beat or jazz music. For someone of my....er...:wally:, this may indeed seem weird, but, outside of movies, I never have paid all that much attention to US pop culture in the first place. I never had cable TV and never had the least interest in the product of US television networks (I don't think I have ever seen a complete Simpsons episode, for example). My favourite TV shows are almost as exclusively British or European as my favourite rock bands. Am I some kind of Anti-American grouch? Not in the least. I love American jazz, classical music performers, theatre, dance, literature, and conceptual art. But, for pop/rock music, the vast majority of movies and almost all television series, I prefer looking elsewhere for my entertainment.
You'd be on to something there if AC/DC weren't Australian.

Reactions: Sentinel

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
You'd be on to something there if AC/DC weren't Australian.
What has that got to do with anything? There are tonnes of international bands that I ignore because upon initial exposure to them I wasn't impressed: AC/DC, Abba, Jethro Tull, Happy Mondays, Gentle Giant, INXS, Arctic Monkeys, to name a few. I didn't hang around long enough to catch the song titles. Much closer to home, I couldn't name a Justin Bieber song either. How do you like them apples?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
What has that got to do with anything? There are tonnes of international bands that I ignore because upon initial exposure to them I wasn't impressed: AC/DC, Abba, Jethro Tull, Happy Mondays, Gentle Giant, INXS, Arctic Monkeys, to name a few. I didn't hang around long enough to catch the song titles. Much closer to home, I couldn't name a Justin Bieber song either. How do you like them apples?
I was being facetious ;)

I'd be much more concerned if people who couldn't name any Abba songs.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
I never listen to AC/DC at home, but they do have some extremely catchy and memorable rock songs. There's an AC/DC cover band out west called BC/DC that comes through my town once or twice a year and it's always a good time. I wouldn't rank AC/DC as one of the all-time greats, but they're really good for what they are.

I prefer the Stones to The Beatles, but I don't think there's any doubt that the latter are the greatest band ever based on quality of work, popularity, and lasting legacy. As for Zeppelin, I find them too bombastic most of the time. Their best moments are when they tone it down a bit, like on Ramble On. I'll take the Stones simple, interwoven guitars over Jimmy Page's showmanship any day. I also feel the Stones are hurt for hanging around for too long, whereas if they called it quits at the end of the 70s, their recording legacy would be as good as it gets.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
It really isn't as mystifying as it seems. I'm not suggesting you waste your time doing this, but if you went through my music posts historically, you would note that, with rare exceptions (REM, Tom Petty, Everly Brothes, The Cars, Jefferson Airplane, Velvet Underground and a few others), I like and almost exclusively comment on British, Brazilian, World Beat or jazz music. For someone of my....er...:wally:, this may indeed seem weird, but, outside of movies, I never have paid all that much attention to US pop culture in the first place. I never had cable TV and never had the least interest in the product of US television networks (I don't think I have ever seen a complete Simpsons episode, for example). For that matter, I have never listened to much radio, either. My favourite TV shows are almost as exclusively British or European as my favourite rock bands. Am I some kind of Anti-American grouch? Not in the least. I love American jazz and blues, classical music performers, theatre, dance, literature, photography, and conceptual art. But, for pop/rock music, the vast majority of movies and almost all television series, I prefer looking elsewhere for my entertainment. Why? Because it has been rewarding to do so.

You've never watched the big shows like The Sopranos or The Wire or Louie? It's incredible stuff.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
You've never watched the big shows like The Sopranos or The Wire or Louie? It's incredible stuff.

After it ended, I binged watch all six (?) seasons of The Wire because of on-going discussions on here. I watched some of Louie CK's YouTube entries, but never his TV show. Saw one episode of The Sopranos and decided it was not for me.

Other series that I never saw or saw less than a single episode of include:

Arrested Developmment
The Office
(any version)
Seinfeld
Parks and Recreation
Friends
Cheers
The Simpsons
(did see the final hour when it got released in DVD)
Family Guy
Frasier
Big Bang Theory
American Idol
or anything remotely resembling reality TV in any way
The West Wing
Lost
(did see the final hour with my elder daughters doing a running play by play commentary)
No quiz shows

In addition to The Wire, when full-seasons have become available I have binged watched all of Breaking Bad, Luther, Shetland, Sherlock, Inspector Morse, Star Trek, Star Trek-Next Generation (did watch this one on TV), Picard, Doctor Who, This Is Wonderland (Canadian) and Mozart in the Jungle. Picked up Game of Thrones about four seasons in (never bothered watchiing what I missed), and am currently addicted to The Lost Kingdom and sort of more or less keep up with Ozark. Except for the odd British or European detective series like Vera, Montalbano and The Young Montalbano, that's pretty much it. Seems way more than enough to me, especially post-pandemic.

People sometimes want to know how I can watch so many movies--well, if you don't watch much TV except for sports, it's easy.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
After it ended, I binged watch all six (?) seasons of The Wire because of on-going discussions on here. I watched some of Louie CK's YouTube entries, but never his TV show. Saw one episode of The Sopranos and decided it was not for me.

Arrested Developmment
The Office
(any version)
Seinfeld
Parks and Recreation
Friends
Cheers
The Simpsons
Family Guy
Frasier
Big Bang Theory
American Idol
The West Wing
Lost
(did see the final hour with my elder daughters doing a running play by play commentary)
No quiz shows

In addition to The Wire, when full-seasons have become available I have binged watched all of Breaking Bad, Luther, Shetland, Sherlock, Inspector Morse, Star Trek, Star Trek-Next Generation (did watch this one on TV), Picard, Doctor Who, This Is Wonderland (Canadian) and Mozart in the Jungle. Picked up Game of Thrones about four seasons in (never bothered watchiing what I missed), and am currently addicted to The Lost Kingdom and sort of more or less keep up with Ozark. Except for the odd British or European detective series like Vera, Montalbano and The Young Montalbano, that's pretty much it. Seems way more than enough to me, especially post-pandemic.

People sometimes want to know how I can watch so many movies--well, if you don't watch much TV except for sports, it's easy.

How did you feel about The Wire? Also, I don't know what you think of Louis CK's work, but I think something like Horace and Pete might be up your alley, which still has a distinctively CK feel to its dialogue, but is different from his stand-up or Louie and I think is his most impressive work, a near masterpiece in the kitchen sink realism genre. It's third episode is, to me, the best episode an American show has achieved (although it is a web series). Also, what didn't you like about The Sopranos? I thought it's cadence and slight, fluid atmospheric changes was perfect from start to finish.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
The Beatles are easily no1 when considering everything. I just wish they didn't write Yellow Submarine and Revolution No9. I never mind listening to one of their albums, which is rare.
Obladi Oblada is the worse one IMO. Pure McCartney trash. Yellow Submarine is a cute story and they made a movie out of it.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
How did you feel about The Wire? Also, I don't know what you think of Louis CK's work, but I think something like Horace and Pete might be up your alley, which still has a distinctively CK feel to its dialogue, but is different from his stand-up or Louie and I think is his most impressive work, a near masterpiece in the kitchen sink realism genre. It's third episode is, to me, the best episode an American show has achieved (although it is a web series). Also, what didn't you like about The Sopranos? I thought it's cadence and slight, fluid atmospheric changes was perfect from start to finish.
I thought The Wire was great, and in an entertaining way educational. While I'll watch some stand-up (Peters, Chapelle, Prior, Rock, early Louis) if I am bored out of my mind, the only guy I more or less try to keep track of is Doug Stanhope. As for The Sopranos, I just didn't want to spend time with those people.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Personal favorites will vary, but I’d say this isn’t even a question. In terms of how groundbreaking they were, how popular, how historically important, how talented they were in different forms of music- easily the best.

I’m not even a huge fan myself, personal favorites would be Hendrix, Queen, Radiohead- but I give the Beatles so much credit for taking the path they did. Not a huge historian on this so I might be a bit off, but it seems to me they gained immense popularity drawing off of black music and writing the first mass-market catchy rock/pop songs. And they did it better and more consistently than anyone else. And they coulda just kept doing that, but instead they got experimental, political. Obviously drugs played their part, but it’s fascinating how they succeeded at being both Hanson and Hendrix. Like, imagine Bieber was the first of his kind, and 4 years later he’s releasing experimental concept albums- and they friggin work. Idk, I also just never got the vibe the Beatles were solely responding to the societal situation- it seemed they arrived there naturally, wrote quality songs throughout- I just can’t think of a band that had such highs or such success in changing their style, and for that I give ‘em all the votes.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
have you seen the spin-offs from Morse, Endeavour and Lewis. Both were great imo but Endeavour is my favorite as it's about Morse but in the late '60's.

Lost Kingdom is great.
Yeah, I have, off and on. They're good. Get your library to locate for you Inspector Montalbano and, especially, The Young Montalbano, two first-class Italian series based on Andrea Camillieri's wonderful detective novels. They are immensely enjoyable.

Reactions: Fantomas

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

Arrested Developmment
The Office
(any version)
Seinfeld
Parks and Recreation
Friends
Cheers
The Simpsons
Family Guy
Frasier
Big Bang Theory
American Idol
The West Wing
Lost
No quiz shows

Simpsons seasons 2-8 is the best American TV series ever. It's also one of the relatively few American shows to depict the police in a critical way.

member 157595

Oh hold the phone

Don't Stop Me Now
Radio Gaga
I Want to Break Free
Flash Gordon

Mercury once said that the only way Queen would get America back is if he were dead. Unfortunately, he was kind of right. The radio industry here didn't play much of their music after The Game (other than "Under Pressure", which they play WAY TOO f***ING OFTEN) and I'm sure the knuckle-dragging cultural ignorance displayed by many in this country played a role in that decision.

One of my favorite albums of theirs is Innuendo, and Mercury could barely walk by the time some of those songs were recorded. I mean, listen to that album again and tell me that's the voice of a dying man.

Reactions: Sentinel

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Yeah, the Beatles are easily #1

The only thing the Beatles are lacking is that one big signature song that people associate with them

I'd say Yesterday is arguably their most popular song, but there are certainly other contenders such as Hey Jude, Let It Be, I Want To Hold Your Hand, etc.

But for argument's sake, let's say it's Yesterday. Now put that up against Stairway To Heaven, or Bohemian Rhapsody, or Comfortably Numb, or even Paranoid Android, and it just seems to pale in comparison

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->