TV: The Bear

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I watched it as well and thought this season was not as good as the first, but good (not great) nonetheless. I loved the Richie and Copenhagen episodes, but the Christmas episode was more grating than Uncut Gems. And Jamie Lee Curtis was over- the-top in not a good way. Still I look forward to a season 3.
I've only watched part of season one thus far, but you're the first person I've seen write this. All I see is praise for her performance.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I do think JLC is over the top ... now whether that's a good thing or bad thing, that's up to the viewer. I lean good. But she definitely is A LOT.

And I think she's going to win an Emmy.

Reactions: kook10

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I do think JLC is over the top ... now whether that's a good thing or bad thing, that's up to the viewer. I lean good. But she definitely is A LOT.

And I think she's going to win an Emmy.
Frankly that whole xmas episode, while "powerful", was not enjoyable to me. It seemed more than a little self indulgent from the creator/showrunner/director. Overall I am still a fan though.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I can't believe how much better season 2 is compared to season 1.... Because season 1 was already f***ing brilliant.

Honestly one of the very best shows on TV right now, maybe one of the best of all time tbh.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I have had 43 years in the Restaurant business and the Bear really gets “it” IMO. Love this show and so far all my culinary friends that I have recommended it to love it as well. I have not watched Shameless yet so I was not really familiar with Jeremy Allan White but he is absolutely outstanding.

Sep 19, 2008
I've been really really busy lately but I will try to finish s1 and start s2. I mean it's not like the show is bad, it's not. I actually think it's quite good.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Honestly thought the Christmas episode was the best of the series. Phenomenal acting all around, and thought it was a great look into why the main characters are the way they are.

Definitely a top 3 season of television this year that ive watched so far. (Can't wait to catch up to succession)

Reactions: WeThreeKings

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
This show seems to have universal praise.

I watched the very first episode awhile back but wasn't really feeling it. After reading the comments in this thread, I may have to go back and give it another try.

Reactions: I am not exposed

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Loved season 2. Definitely a shift in focus but still very compelling. It's one the best and most unique shows that I've seen. The acting is top notch, as is pretty much everything else. Can't recommend it enough.

Reactions: Jovavic

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I really liked this show. The Christmas episode, the Copenhagen episode, and the Forks episode were all stellar in particular.

I must say though, I was really underwhelmed by the finale, which was melodramatic for the sake of it.

Considering how many solid episodes there were in the season, it fell into contrived situations and tropes to finish the Carmen storyline.

1. My wife works an extremely demanding job. There are times where I barely see her for a month or more. I generally know in advance, and while it sucks, it's a sacrifice she and our family make because it's her passion and it's also lucrative. I don't hold it against her in those situations.

2. Clearly the girlfriend would/did understand if he was absent while he's launching a restaurant. This "focus" thing isn't particularly novel or even rare if you're running your own business. Not to mention, she has a pretty demanding job of her own, so she'd probably get it.

3. Really? The old "locked in the freezer" trope to create an artificial situation where he says terrible things right to her face without knowing it? Ugh. Most locked room scenarios are so artificial and banal, I have to roll my eyes.

4. Not to mention, as I said to Mrs_NyQuil, if she were to tell me the most horrible things in the universe while being locked in a room during one of the most important days of her professional life, I'd probably understand that she was under a tremendous amount of stress.

5. The foreshadowing on the doomed nature of his perfect girl was pretty heavy. But it's something that a call the next day would probably solve, if he was so inclined.

6. Anyway, I get that he has serious mental health and commitment issues, but I just felt that they had to come up with a pretty contrived scenario for it to come to a head.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'd also like to mention the soundtrack, which is simply rife with nostalgia for my generation - lots of Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam, REM, Counting Crows, LCD Soundsystem, Pixies, Smashing Pumpkins, Kim Deal, what have you.

It's a bit manipulative because it creates emotional resonance simply by association.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad