The BCHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
The BCHL isn't a 2nd-tier league of the WHL anymore. This year, it saw two of its players go in the first round and one player in the 2nd round. They were Kris Chucko, Travis Zajac and Raymond Sawada. 12 players went from the BCHL in total. This year the BCHL beat the QMJHL and the USHL in terms of players drafted in the 1st round and it just goes to show you the quality of the league is definitely improving. While some might argue that this is a weak draft year, but 11 BCHL'ers were drafted last year as well. Despite the fact that the WHL is still a superior league, I wouldn't be surprised if the BCHL continues to improve its on-ice product from year to year.

For information though. The BCHL isn't all for WHL rejects. Its a route for players who wish to attend college as playing in juniors will eliminate your NCAA eligibility. Players like Andrew Ladd moved onto the WHL while guys like Paul Kariya moved onto College. Its all depends on the player and what their choice is.

Round 1 - #20 - New Jersey picked Travis Zajac (Salmon Arm)
Round 1 - #24 - Calgary picked Kris Chucko (Salmon Arm)
Round 2 - #52 - Dallas picked Raymond Sawada (Nanaimo)
Round 4 - #125- Vancouver picked Andrew Sarauer (Langley)
Round 6 - #169 - NY Rangers picked Jordan Foote (Nanaimo)
Round 6 - #178 - Nashville picked Mike Santorelli (Vernon)
Round 7 - #217 - New Jersey picked Tyler Eckford (South Surrey)
Round 8 - #239 - Colorado picked Brandon Yip (Coquitlam)
Round 8 - #253 - Philadelphia picked Travis Gawryletz (Trail)
Round 9 - #267 - Florida picked Spencer Dillon (Salmon Arm)
Round 9 - #270 - Atlanta picked Matt Siddall (Powell River)
Round 9 - #275 - Nashville picked Craig Switzer (Salmon Arm)

Past notables are Joe Murphy (Drafted 1st overall in 1984) and Brett Hull (also in 1984). Anyone think of any others?

spamojones

May 17, 2004
Vancouver
Jovanovski = Norris said:
was he taken directly out of the BCHL?
No, Gomez wasn't taken directly out of the BCHL (he only played one season with South Surrey). He played two seasons in the dub before heading up to New Jersey.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Some BCHL grads include: Glenn Anderson, Mark Reechi, Ray Ferraro, Cliff Ronning, Geoff Courtnall, Greg Adams, Andy Moog, Olaf Kolzig, Byron Dafoe, Stan Smyl, Barry Pederson, Ryan Walter, Paul Kariya, Joe Murphy, Dave "Tiger" Williams, Bob Nystrom, Curt Fraser, Dave Lewis, Bill Lindsay, Rick Lapointe, Brendan Morrison, Gary Lupul, Tim Hunter, Jan Bulis, Bob McGill, Jack McIlhargey, Shawn Horcoff, Brad Bombadir, and Willie Mitchell

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
The BCHL isn't a 2nd-tier league of the WHL anymore. This year, it saw two of its players go in the first round and one player in the 2nd round. They were Kris Chucko, Travis Zajac and Raymond Sawada. 12 players went from the BCHL in total. This year the BCHL beat the QMJHL and the USHL in terms of players drafted in the 1st round and it just goes to show you the quality of the league is definitely improving. While some might argue that this is a weak draft year, but 11 BCHL'ers were drafted last year as well. Despite the fact that the WHL is still a superior league, I wouldn't be surprised if the BCHL continues to improve its on-ice product from year to year.

For information though. The BCHL isn't all for WHL rejects. Its a route for players who wish to attend college as playing in juniors will eliminate your NCAA eligibility. Players like Andrew Ladd moved onto the WHL while guys like Paul Kariya moved onto College. Its all depends on the player and what their choice is.

Round 9 - #275 - Nashville picked Craig Switzer (Salmon Arm)

Past notables are Joe Murphy (Drafted 1st overall in 1984) and Brett Hull (also in 1984). Anyone think of any others?
didn't know that, very good info there

BCCHL inactive

While the BCHL is improving, and it is great for the league (and Salmon Arm's 3 year-old program) that 2 players got drafted in the first round....there are a lot of players in the BCHL who are easily WHL-capable players, but have opted for the NCAA route to professional hockey.

Zajac and Chucko would have fit nicely on any WHL team this year. They just wanted scholarships, and they got them. Zajac is going to North Dakota, and Chucko to Minnesota.

I support your optimism of BCHL hockey, but to say it is no longer a 2nd tier league to the WHL is an exaggeration. It would take a BCHL all-star team to compete with an average WHL club.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Van said:
While the BCHL is improving, and it is great for the league (and Salmon Arm's 3 year-old program) that 2 players got drafted in the first round....there are a lot of players in the BCHL who are easily WHL-capable players, but have opted for the NCAA route to professional hockey.

Zajac and Chucko would have fit nicely on any WHL team this year. They just wanted scholarships, and they got them. Zajac is going to North Dakota, and Chucko to Minnesota.

I support your optimism of BCHL hockey, but to say it is no longer a 2nd tier league to the WHL is an exaggeration. It would take a BCHL all-star team to compete with an average WHL club.

So true. Even the lowly Saskatoon Blades would beat up on Zajac, Chucko and the rest of the BCHL all-stars.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Van said:

Perhaps it still doesn't hold a candle to the WHL, but it is imo on par with, lets say, the USHL at least.

kolanos

Nov 7, 2003
monster_bertuzzi said:
So true. Even the lowly Saskatoon Blades would beat up on Zajac, Chucko and the rest of the BCHL all-stars.
AHL All-Stars could give the 03-04 Pittsburgh Penguins (sans Lemieux) a run for their money. Same idea here.

BCCHL inactive

Perhaps it still doesn't hold a candle to the WHL, but it is imo on par with, lets say, the USHL at least.

That's no surprise. The USHL may be a US Tier I league (equivalent to Canadian Major Junior), but that's only been the case for one season. Before 2003-04, the USHL was a US Jr.A league.

spamojones

May 17, 2004
Vancouver

Round 9 - #275 - Nashville picked Craig Switzer (Salmon Arm) <-- I believe he also played for them.

Damn...few ex-Salsa guys. Good for them

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Van said:
That's no surprise. The USHL may be a US Tier I league (equivalent to Canadian Major Junior), but that's only been the case for one season. Before 2003-04, the USHL was a US Jr.A league.

I always saw the level of competition like this:
NHL
AHL
NCAA
CHL
USHL
BCHL

The level of CHL is sandwiched between the NCAA and USHL levels as the NCAA is superior while the USHL is inferior. USHL might be like a US Jr. A league, but almost every USHL team has a couple of guys offered scholarships to play in the NCAA and it channels its talent directly into the NCAA so I've always felt that the USHL, despite being much inferior to the CHL, has been equivalent to Canadian Major Juniors.

BCCHL inactive

USHL might be like a US Jr. A league, but almost every USHL team has a couple of guys offered scholarships to play in the NCAA and it channels its talent directly into the NCAA so I've always felt that the USHL, despite being much inferior to the CHL, has been equivalent to Canadian Major Juniors.

How so? The CHL cannot send players to the NCAA. The CHL is considered semi-pro hockey by the NCAA because their players earn a wage while playing for their CHL teams. The USHL may now be technically a "Tier I" league, but they don't pay their players, so the NCAA still recognizes the USHL as amateur hockey.

The USHL's purpose is to send players to the NCAA. Canadian Jr.A leagues have a combined purpose of developping players for the NCAA and the CHL. That's why you see much more scholarships given to USHL players than any individual CJAHL league.

BCCHL inactive

monster_bertuzzi said:
try...

1.NHL
2.RSL
3.AHL
4.SEL
5.Rus2
6.ECHL

I'd put WHL above ECHL. 20 year-olds who are cut from WHL teams either go back to the Jr.A team who owns their rights, or they go to the ECHL.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Van said:
I'd put WHL above ECHL. 20 year-olds who are cut from WHL teams either go back to the Jr.A team who owns their rights, or they go to the ECHL.

:dunno: I dont think so.

Food for thought: Nucks prospect Jesse Schultz was one of the best WHLer's in the 2003 season, but struggled this year putting up points with the Columbia Inferno of the ECHL.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
monster_bertuzzi said:
try...

1.NHL
2.RSL
3.AHL
4.SEL
5.Rus2
6.ECHL

I knew that.

I obviously excluded those leagues for a reason and that reason was simplicity. If you want to include them then why not include them all? If you want to start including other leagues, then why not include TPS Turku or the Czech Extraleague or the DEL?

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Food for thought: Nucks prospect Jesse Schultz was one of the best WHLer's in the 2003 season, but struggled this year putting up points with the Columbia Inferno of the ECHL.

I'm not sure how 48 points in 52 games constitutes 'struggling'. I'd say the ECHL has a slight edge, but the drops in scoring from guys going directly to the ECHL from the WHL aren't that huge.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
I always saw the level of competition like this:
NHL
AHL
NCAA
CHL
USHL
BCHL

The level of CHL is sandwiched between the NCAA and USHL levels as the NCAA is superior while the USHL is inferior. USHL might be like a US Jr. A league, but almost every USHL team has a couple of guys offered scholarships to play in the NCAA and it channels its talent directly into the NCAA so I've always felt that the USHL, despite being much inferior to the CHL, has been equivalent to Canadian Major Juniors.

It was a great day for the BCHL and they proved that they are on an equal footing with the USHL in terms of producing top notch talent. I am curious to know why you think the CHL is inferior to the NCAA, however. From a strictly draft prospective, the CHL always outperforms the NCAA.

BCCHL inactive

monster_bertuzzi said:
:dunno: I dont think so.

Last year, the Cougars cut 19 year-old Devin Wilson. He then showed up a couple weeks later in the WCHL (now part of the ECHL). The only reason he got on with Everett this season is because they were allowed five 20 year-olds as an expansion team.

Schultz might not have done as well as people might have expected this past season, but when WHL cuts can get jobs in the ECHL, that's all that should be needed to determine the quality of the two leagues in comparison to each other.

Just ask people in Victoria what they think about their new ECHL team.

cstu

May 6, 2004
Van said:
Just ask people in Victoria what they think about their new ECHL team.

Not too excited about a team in a crappy league with a dumb name and a cartoon logo. Give us back our Cougars!

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Van said:

most ECHL players wouldn't even crack the lineup of german DEL-teams and this league is far behind other european leagues. i think many leagues are above the ECHL.

Drew

May 24, 2004
VOB said:
It was a great day for the BCHL and they proved that they are on an equal footing with the USHL in terms of producing top notch talent. I am curious to know why you think the CHL is inferior to the NCAA, however. From a strictly draft prospective, the CHL always outperforms the NCAA.

The reason the NCAA is better is because the players are older. The average NCAA player is about 22 years old, while the average CHL player is about 18 or 19.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
try...

1.NHL
2.RSL
3.AHL
4.SEL
5.Rus2
6.ECHL

You give a lot more credit to the Euro leagues than I do.

1 - NHL
2 - AHL
3 - RSL
4 - SEL
5 - ECHL
6 - SM-Liiga
7 - Czech Extra-League

Something like that.

As far as the BCHL, I agree with you, Van, that it's a better league than most think, but I disagree with the poster that said the Silverbacks or the BCHL All-Star team couldn't beat the Blades of the WHL. Frankly, I think the Silverbacks would have been good enough (maybe a bit better of a goaltender) to be about a poor-to-average WHL team this past year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad