The Backhand

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Readers watching the 2009 NHL playoffs were treated to a nostalgic bonus - two classic backhand goals by Patrick Kane. Against Roberto Luongo / Vancouver cutting across left to right and against Chris Osgood / Detroit covered by a defenseman to the outside but managing a rising backhand shot that connected top shelf.

Prior to the advent of the curved stick the backhand shot and pass was part of every player's game. Slowly since the early 1960's the backhand shot and pass has virtually disappeared from use in hockey.Today very few players have the backhand skills shown by Patrick Kane or their predecessors form the 1960's and before.

The disappearance of the backhand has had a number of consequences on the game of hockey. The lack of the backhand option - pass or shot, has simplified defense.

Playing the against the rush, defensemen rarely concern themself with the backhand option, overplaying the forehand pass or shot and taking away the advantage of one of the wings. A 3 on 2 has fewer options.

Similarly goalies overplay the forehand shot option - evidenced by the ease with which Patrick Kane scored and the surprised reactions of the two goalies.

The "Trap" in all its variations is facilitated by the elimination of the backhand passing option since the assumption is that a backhand pass is not forthcoming.

Play in the slot has changed as the defensemen and the checking forward concern themselves with limiting the forehand shot. The backhand shot is seen rarely - only scramble, rebound type plays.

The lack of the backhand option limits defensive plays as well. Often clearing opportunities are lost because the player with a clearing opportunity in the defensive zone has to waste time going from his backhand to his forehand or makes a very feeble backhand attempt that is intercepted.

Comments appreciated.

Wetcoaster

Best backhand that I have ever seen was Dave Keon - he was deadly. Keon was my favourite player growing up and I wore #14 after he joined the Leafs.

He notes it takes time and effort to learn:
"Most kids today slap the puck," he offered. "The backhand takes time to learn. It's not something you do naturally. But it is an effective shot."

Here he is later in his career with the Whalers - first a backhand pass and then he buries a backhand shot.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Readers watching the 2009 NHL playoffs were treated to a nostalgic bonus - two classic backhand goals by Patrick Kane. Against Roberto Luongo / Vancouver cutting across left to right and against Chris Osgood / Detroit covered by a defenseman to the outside but managing a rising backhand shot that connected top shelf.
Not to mention Malkin's top shelf backhander against Ward/Carolina, (third goal).

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Thank You

Best backhand that I have ever seen was Dave Keon - he was deadly. Keon was my favourite player growing up and I wore #14 after he joined the Leafs.

He notes it takes time and effort to learn:
"Most kids today slap the puck," he offered. "The backhand takes time to learn. It's not something you do naturally. But it is an effective shot."

Here he is later in his career with the Whalers - first a backhand pass and then he buries a backhand shot.

Nice clip showing the difficulties the backhand creates for the defense and the goalie. Thank you.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
The disappearance of the backhand has had a number of consequences on the game of hockey. The lack of the backhand option - pass or shot, has simplified defense....

...The "Trap" in all its variations is facilitated by the elimination of the backhand passing option since the assumption is that a backhand pass is not forthcoming.

Very insightful and interesting.

Banks3rdLineCenter

Jun 25, 2008
New York City
Great post. I think a lot of people underrate the degree to which the neutralization of the backhand shot has made defensemen's lives easier. The loss of the backhand resulted in the elimination of a whole set of different angles and approaches that forwards could utilize off the rush.

I'm glad someone mentioned Dave Keon since he was truly the master of the backhand shot.

Crosby also has a pretty good backhand and I'm fairly sure that he utilizes a flat blade. I remember one goal he scored during the regular season against Lundqvist where Crosby spun around in the slot and flicked a backhand shot perfectly top right corner.

BadHammy*

I honestly don't think an average curve really hurts the backhand that much, I think it's the Pejorative Slured amount of loft pros use. I have good control with a Drury curve and 100% backhand control with a PM9/Modano/Forsberg curve. It's not hard to top shelf it once you learn. It really is a reverse wrist shot and took me the LEAST time to learn of any shot. Maybe because I'm a RH person who shoots lefty?

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Excellent post. I've been thinking of the exact same sentiment since seeing those Kane goals and the Malkin goal. Agree that the backhand shot and pass have largely disappeared from common use.

Kane's goals in particular were mind bogglling, and the one on Luongo was wicked, one-on-one moving to his right and absolutely firing a cross grain backhand off the inside post for the goal. I can't remember ever seeing a shot like that. Both those goals are goalscorer goals too, and really show how Kane is more than just a passer.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Sidney Crosby

Great post. I think a lot of people underrate the degree to which the neutralization of the backhand shot has made defensemen's lives easier. The loss of the backhand resulted in the elimination of a whole set of different angles and approaches that forwards could utilize off the rush.

I'm glad someone mentioned Dave Keon since he was truly the master of the backhand shot.

Crosby also has a pretty good backhand and I'm fairly sure that he utilizes a flat blade. I remember one goal he scored during the regular season against Lundqvist where Crosby spun around in the slot and flicked a backhand shot perfectly top right corner.

Sidney Crosby does use a flat blade.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Backhand

I honestly don't think an average curve really hurts the backhand that much, I think it's the Pejorative Slured amount of loft pros use. I have good control with a Drury curve and 100% backhand control with a PM9/Modano/Forsberg curve. It's not hard to top shelf it once you learn. It really is a reverse wrist shot and took me the LEAST time to learn of any shot. Maybe because I'm a RH person who shoots lefty?

You have to differentiate between the backhand shot and pass. Doing it at the NHL level where speed is of the essence is a bit harder than at other levels.

The other issue with the backhand pass is that linemates have to learn how to give the puck carrier proper angles(wider) for the backhand pass effectively spreading the defense and forcing the goalie to play other options.

BadHammy*

You have to differentiate between the backhand shot and pass. Doing it at the NHL level where speed is of the essence is a bit harder than at other levels.

The other issue with the backhand pass is that linemates have to learn how to give the puck carrier proper angles(wider) for the backhand pass effectively spreading the defense and forcing the goalie to play other options.

I'm also a pretty good backhand passer, and you make excellent points! Ovechkin has scored how many backhand goals in his career? I'd be surprised if it was more than 5.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Centers vs Wingers

I'm also a pretty good backhand passer, and you make excellent points! Ovechkin has scored how many backhand goals in his career? I'd be surprised if it was more than 5.

The backhand pass is more of an issue with centers since wingers, unless they are playing the off wing (LHS playing RW), have little opportunity for a backhand pass on the rush. Very handy option for all out of corners or behind the net.

Ovechkin could be even more lethal with a backhand shot coming out of the corner or a spin move into the middle.

BadHammy*

The backhand pass is more of an issue with centers since wingers, unless they are playing the off wing (LHS playing RW), have little opportunity for a backhand pass on the rush. Very handy option for all out of corners or behind the net.

Ovechkin could be even more lethal with a backhand shot coming out of the corner or a spin move into the middle.

I normally play center and I love making backhand passes from the off wing into the slot because very often, nobody suspects it. My only problem is putting too much lift on backhand passes, with any curve.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
How to.....

I normally play center and I love making backhand passes from the off wing into the slot because very often, nobody suspects it. My only problem is putting too much lift on backhand passes, with any curve.

Also goes against the way players use their sticks to block passing lanes.

You do not have a loft problem with your forehand pass so look at the differences in each instance.There are very minor differences in hand and blade positioning / movements for a forehand shot vs a forehand pass.

Hard to explain via internet but it seems that you are getting under the puck. Experiment with minor hand adjustments, lower hand slightly higher on the stick then for the backhand shot, or blade fractionally more upright(perpendicular to the ice), less wrist movement.

Stonefly

Jan 29, 2007
I think Gretzky used the demise of the backhand pass to his advantage. At the time you still had a fair amount of players who had good backhands and would have defencemen having to take a gamble on how to play the man coming in. Will he make a backhand or forehand pass. The good defencemen of course get to know what players tendencies are. Gretzky used that because he was as equally adept at backhand passes as forehand. He would get defencemen to commit to the backhand pass as he was coming down that left side then curl back and make a wide open pass to a streaking winger. Leaving the defencemen too deep to block the lane as he had gambled on the backhand pass.

Last edited:

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Excellent Point

I think Gretzky used the demise of the backhand pass to his advantage. At the time you still had a fair amount of players who had good backhands and would have defencemen having to take a gamble on how to play the man coming in. Will he make a backhand or forehand pass. The good defencemen of course get to know what players tendencies are. Gretzky used that because he was as equally adept at backhand passes as forehand. He would get defencemen to commit to the backhand pass as he was coming down that left side then curl back and make a wide open pass to a streaking winger. Leaving the defencemen to deep to block the lane as he had gambled on the backhand pass.

Excellent points.

Gretzky's era was before stick positioning to block passing lanes was widely used and he would neutralize attempts at stick positioning with the backhand pass.

Also when Wayne Gretzky would set-up behind the opponents net he was equally adept at using both sides of the net to create scoring chances while using the backhand pass to create wider passing options.

Finally in front of the net the defense could not overplay Wayne Gretzky stickside since he was very adept at using the backhand to create scoring openings.

Stonefly

Jan 29, 2007
Also goes against the way players use their sticks to block passing lanes.

You do not have a loft problem with your forehand pass so look at the differences in each instance.There are very minor differences in hand and blade positioning / movements for a forehand shot vs a forehand pass.

Hard to explain via internet but it seems that you are getting under the puck. Experiment with minor hand adjustments, lower hand slightly higher on the stick then for the backhand shot, or blade fractionally more upright(perpendicular to the ice), less wrist movement.

A lot of guys just shovel it which ends up getting under it as you say. They just take a quick little whack at it chipping it up.

donGjohnson if you want to keep it on the ice think along the lines of a Jai alai throw. Let the puck roll to the front of the blade with a good flick back when it get close to the tip. Keep the top of the blade tilted back as well. If you have decent ice the puck will stay nice and flat to the surface like it is supposed to. Work on timing of when and how much to "flick" and you can get some surprising angles to your passes. You'll catch opponents off guard. Just make sure your teammates know what you can do so you don't catch them off guard.
Worked for me.

Last edited:

BadHammy*

Yeah, I appreciate it. I sometimes over-wrist my backhands because if I don't, they're too soft and often get picked off. Something else I need to work on.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Crosby does indeed have a great backhander, (and backhand pass), and yes his blade is virtually straight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad