OT: The Avalounge - Twisty the Clown Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
You're all correct except maybe the part about passing out post-game cold ones :laugh:

The NHL has subtle differences but in USA Hockey it's largely the same. As a linesman I call offside violations and faceoffs, and conduct every faceoff except center ice faceoffs (in USA Hockey you can only have those to start a period, after a goal, or for premature goalie substitution). There are actually 13 specific reasons for which a linesman can stop play. I don't recall all 13 of them exactly but when I'm on the ice as a linesman I'll just instinctively remember if I can or not. Other misc. reasons why a linesman can blow the whistle are: net off pegs, puck out of play, puck played with a high stick, hand pass, injured player, too many players on the ice, puck entering the net unobserved by the referee, spectator interference, safety hazards like broken glass panes/open doors, players equipment issues/violations*, etc.

Also what's little known is that a linesman can report to the referee, at the next stoppage, any infraction which he believes would warrant a major, misconduct, game misconduct, or match penalty (though it's the referee's final decision whether or not to assess the penalty). I've done this once in a Bantam game, we were using a 3-man crew and I watched a player in a scrum down low cross check an opponent hard in the back of the neck. I told the referee about it and he kicked the player out of the game.

*Youth play: if a player or goalie's helmet comes off, play is stopped immediately, period. If a goalie's glove or blocker comes off, play is stopped immediately unless there's an "imminent scoring chance".

*Adult play: if a player's helmet comes off, he has to either pick it up and put it back on or skate to the bench to be substituted. He can't participate in the play without a helmet on. If a goalie's helmet comes off, play is stopped immediately. The rule about the goalie's glove/blocker is the same as youth play.

Edit: and yes, while not codified by the rules of play, a large part of a linesman's duties is to separate players involved in altercations. There's actually a method to it that they teach. Referees aren't supposed to get involved unless it's dangerous (such as one guy being pinned down on the ice and the other guy punching him repeatedly in the face). It's why I find it amusing again when there's a line brawl and people get mad at referees for not helping break things up. They're specifically trained NOT to...

Last edited:

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
That was pretty crazy tbh. Hope you enjoyed the game even with that the defensive travesty that was the second period.

It is surely an experience I will never forget. I've got suite tickets for Tuesdays game but tbh id rather have these seats again. Section 110 row 5. Just unbelievable

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
It is surely an experience I will never forget. I've got suite tickets for Tuesdays game but tbh id rather have these seats again. Section 110 row 5. Just unbelievable

Those are truly awesome seats. Had similar for Adam Foote's last game. Watching that final shift only like 5 feet in front of me was something I will never forget.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
You're all correct except maybe the part about passing out post-game cold ones :laugh:

The NHL has subtle differences but in USA Hockey it's largely the same. As a linesman I call offside violations and faceoffs, and conduct every faceoff except center ice faceoffs (in USA Hockey you can only have those to start a period, after a goal, or for premature goalie substitution). There are actually 13 specific reasons for which a linesman can stop play. I don't recall all 13 of them exactly but when I'm on the ice as a linesman I'll just instinctively remember if I can or not. Other misc. reasons why a linesman can blow the whistle are: net off pegs, puck out of play, puck played with a high stick, hand pass, injured player, too many players on the ice, puck entering the net unobserved by the referee, spectator interference, safety hazards like broken glass panes/open doors, players equipment issues/violations*, etc.

Also what's little known is that a linesman can report to the referee, at the next stoppage, any infraction which he believes would warrant a major, misconduct, game misconduct, or match penalty (though it's the referee's final decision whether or not to assess the penalty). I've done this once in a Bantam game, we were using a 3-man crew and I watched a player in a scrum down low cross check an opponent hard in the back of the neck. I told the referee about it and he kicked the player out of the game.

*Youth play: if a player or goalie's helmet comes off, play is stopped immediately, period. If a goalie's glove or blocker comes off, play is stopped immediately unless there's an "imminent scoring chance".

*Adult play: if a player's helmet comes off, he has to either pick it up and put it back on or skate to the bench to be substituted. He can't participate in the play without a helmet on. If a goalie's helmet comes off, play is stopped immediately. The rule about the goalie's glove/blocker is the same as youth play.

Edit: and yes, while not codified by the rules of play, a large part of a linesman's duties is to separate players involved in altercations. There's actually a method to it that they teach. Referees aren't supposed to get involved unless it's dangerous (such as one guy being pinned down on the ice and the other guy punching him repeatedly in the face). It's why I find it amusing again when there's a line brawl and people get mad at referees for not helping break things up. They're specifically trained NOT to...

Are you going through USAH beer league ref training or something?

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Are you going through USAH beer league ref training or something?

Level 3 USA Hockey official. I do all kinds of levels (there's a shortage of officials in my area so I do everything) ranging from mite/squirt to beer league to ACHA/Junior A.

Upper levels I only work as a linesman though, but sometimes I'll wear the bands 14U games.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Was hoping for a down day before the storm of pre-thanksgiving break craziness but I just remembered I have to write a 4 page museum review by 8am tomorrow.

Guess it's time to head down to the local museum...

Last edited:

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Level 3 USA Hockey official. I do all kinds of levels (there's a shortage of officials in my area so I do everything) ranging from mite/squirt to beer league to ACHA/Junior A.

Upper levels I only work as a linesman though, but sometimes I'll wear the bands 14U games.

That's cool. Sounds like you take your job more seriously than some of the refs around here.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
That's cool. Sounds like you take your job more seriously than some of the refs around here.

I started practically as an adult (aged 16, they let me into an adult league and I also joined the high school team - there were no cuts, I was the worst player on the team by far :laugh: ) so I know the pain of having refs who act like they don't even want to be there.

To me, being a good official is about knowledge and effort and not as much about judgement. I don't worry about the judgement calls so much. If you know the rules well, possess good game management skills (which they teach you about at the higher levels - it's not just "here's a rulebook, good luck"), and skate hard to be in the right position at the right time, making the correct call at that point is easy. What I'm working on is the game management skills, since I don't think I'll break into much higher levels than where I already am as a linesman, I'll need to be the referee.

I have some examples of both good and bad game management from the games I had this weekend. The bad one is doing an adult game on Saturday, it was about midway through the third with the score kind of out of hand (about 13-8 or so). Two players were near the benches and the puck went away from the play. One player got his stick caught in the other player's armpit in an attempted stick check. He tried to pull it out and lost grip on it, and the stick fell to the ice. I called the other player for holding the stick. Totally unnecessary to call that penalty in that situation.

The good one I think, was late in a blowout game (6-0 with about 2 minutes left) on Sunday morning, some players got tangled up and one kid gave an opponent one of the lightest cross checks I've ever seen. But considering the score and time left, I had to call it. Let it go and tensions could rise into something even more dangerous.

That's the kind of stuff I need to be thinking about and managing to become a good referee (I don't think I'm a good referee right now but I'd call myself a good linesman).

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Welp. The museum I'm supposed to be reviewing is closed today. I'm totally eff'd. I knew about the review this weekend but choose to party with my friends. Could have done it yesterday but spaced it and spent the day recovering.

Emailed my professor seeing if there is a way I can delay it till next class but I'm not expecting it. I really screwed the pooch on this one.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
Emailed my professor seeing if there is a way I can delay it till next class but I'm not expecting it. I really screwed the pooch on this one.

If you didn't email the Prof maybe you could have bullshat the whole thing... but not anymore. You've really done it now!!!

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
If you didn't email the Prof maybe you could have bullshat the whole thing... but not anymore. You've really done it now!!!

He's my advisor and has been my professor for like 5 classes now. He knows when I'm bsing and actually calls me out. Which is both a good and a bad thing I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad