Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Dx1gWjtX0AAf_JP

Huh...

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
His personality is truly fascinating.

And might I add, you can really see where Thomas Harris got his inspiration.
So, so f***ed up. Beyond fascinating, I can't even comprehend it. Almost like a comic book villain.

The really messed up part is we're still talking and thinking about him today, and for many more years to come. Which if he knew that, would f***ing love it.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Which if he knew that, would ****ing love it.
I was watching the escape episode today and the start of the next one, and I had this exact thought. I love watching how every few minutes there's a giant sociopath red flag in the way he talks about things.

And really some of the similarities to Hannibal Lecter are astounding. You got nowhere near all these things from reading Wikipedia.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The whole Bundy saga is weird when you go through it. Putting my tin foil hat on... I think he almost wanted to be caught, persecuted and talked about to the point where I think he sabotaged himself a few times. The cases against him were not all that strong, but his insistence on representing himself and arrogance that he showed the whole time just made him very easy to convict. Hell, forcing a crime scene witness to recount the murders on the stand as your own defense attorney is just so mind blowingly stupid that it had to be intentional. A sort of 'describe what I did in vivid detail so everybody remembers forever.'

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The whole Bundy saga is weird when you go through it. Putting my tin foil hat on... I think he almost wanted to be caught, persecuted and talked about to the point where I think he sabotaged himself a few times. The cases against him were not all that strong, but his insistence on representing himself and arrogance that he showed the whole time just made him very easy to convict. Hell, forcing a crime scene witness to recount the murders on the stand as your own defense attorney is just so mind blowingly stupid that it had to be intentional. A sort of 'describe what I did in vivid detail so everybody remembers forever.'

Yeah he definitely seemed to sabotage himself when he was representing himself and make it a huge spectacle to draw all the attention to himself. His whole life as a serial killer truly did kinda play out like a move and the fact that he totally could’ve gotten away with it is even crazier.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Serial killers are the absolute peak of outward signs of psychopathy. It's crazy how they talk about themselves and their 'achievements'. And at that point, what could you possibly do in court. But the BTK killer resurrected a cold case and got himself caught before killing again. So there's that. Also, these guys always seem to keep pushing to get caught and then get caught in like a traffic stop for a taillight.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Serial killers are the absolute peak of outward signs of psychopathy. It's crazy how they talk about themselves and their 'achievements'. And at that point, what could you possibly do in court. But the BTK killer resurrected a cold case and got himself caught before killing again. So there's that. Also, these guys always seem to keep pushing to get caught and then get caught in like a traffic stop for a taillight.

Listening to Bundy speak it’s so clear he’s a total psychopath. Especially considering you can tell that there’s basically a different person talking at certain times.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah he definitely seemed to sabotage himself when he was representing himself and make it a huge spectacle to draw all the attention to himself. His whole life as a serial killer truly did kinda play out like a move and the fact that he totally could’ve gotten away with it is even crazier.

If he had let the kidnapping sentence play out and let the courts go through the Colorado case... I think he actually could have gotten away with it. Hell, even in Florida they ended up relying on teeth marks which is pretty much bunk science in today's courts (though I think we all know DNA would have eventually found him guilty).

Yeah it is such an odd thing... they can do so much terrible and wrong then trip up in the dumbest of ways... just goes to show how their brains are wired far differently than a 'normal' person's brain.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
If he had let the kidnapping sentence play out and let the courts go through the Colorado case... I think he actually could have gotten away with it. Hell, even in Florida they ended up relying on teeth marks which is pretty much bunk science in today's courts (though I think we all know DNA would have eventually found him guilty).

Yup. But then he fires his attorney mid trial and then proposes to his wife mid trial and you know that he’s putting on a show and bringing as much attention to himself as humanly possible.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

You say this as a (semi ;)) sane person though. I don't think he necessarily wanted to get caught, he broke out multiple times because he missed his freedom. He just got so caught up in it that he didn't even really realize the severity of what he was doing and it took priority over everything. I think part of it was he just enjoyed the sport of it. Killing, escaping, evading escape, representing himself, stroking that "I'm smarter than everybody" ego.

I can't see there being another Ted Bundy again, not in this technology world. Or at least not as a 1 man wrecking crew like he was.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
You say this as a (semi ;)) sane person though. I don't think he necessarily wanted to get caught, he broke out multiple times because he missed his freedom. He just got so caught up in it that he didn't even really realize the severity of what he was doing and it took priority over everything. I think part of it was he just enjoyed the sport of it. Killing, escaping, evading escape, representing himself, stroking that "I'm smarter than everybody" ego.

I can't see there being another Ted Bundy again, not in this technology world. Or at least not as a 1 man wrecking crew like he was.

I think he wanted his freedom and that played a role in him escaping, but I think he wanted people to know about his accomplishments more than anything else. So he had to get caught... I just don't think he planned on getting convicted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad