OT: The Avalounge: Now Untitled!

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Sure, but rock genres are the most ambiguous thing in the world and trying to accurately classify them is a waste of everything. People like doing that though because we love categories...

SOAD is one of those bands I'll listen to for a while from time to time, but then after I'm done they aren't in my regular playlists. Or I actually do a have a few songs on my workout list, but I skip past them pretty often. Definitely disagree about Steal This Album. To me it's easily between the self-titled and Toxicity. My favorite song would probably be Forest, which isn't the most obvious choice I guess. Honestly, I haven't listened to Steal This Album a lot, but I would actually say Elect the Dead is a better album than the last two SOAD ones. Haven't heard any other Tankian ones though.
I own every SOAD album (last two my cousin sadly gave to me), but I am similar to you that for some reason I have never uploaded them to my iTunes nor do I plan to. I just listen to them once every six months, but those songs keep making me come back to them when I am in a mood.

I don't like Toxicity because it isn't a bad album, but because a lot of those songs are overplayed. Not sure I actually like any of SOAD's hit songs like ever besides "Sugar". Toxicity has awesome songs like "Science", "Forest", and "Prison" where I argue that their best songs are none of their hits, which is why I say that Steal This Album! is their best. True there isn't one superior or hit on the CD, but every single song except for "Boom!" is awesome. Chic 'n' Stu, Innervision, Bubbles (again such a beast of a song), Nuguns, A.D.D., I-E-A-I-A-I-O, 36, Pictures, Highway Song, The System, Ego Brains, Thetawaves, Roulette, and Streamline all have something quite memorable in them.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I own every SOAD album (last two my cousin sadly gave to me), but I am similar to you that for some reason I have never uploaded them to my iTunes nor do I plan to. I just listen to them once every six months, but those songs keep making me come back to them when I am in a mood.

I don't like Toxicity because it isn't a bad album, but because a lot of those songs are overplayed. Not sure I actually like any of SOAD's hit songs like ever besides "Sugar". Toxicity has awesome songs like "Science", "Forest", and "Prison" where I argue that their best songs are none of their hits, which is why I say that Steal This Album! is their best. True there isn't one superior or hit on the CD, but every single song except for "Boom!" is awesome. Chic 'n' Stu, Innervision, Bubbles (again such a beast of a song), Nuguns, A.D.D., I-E-A-I-A-I-O, 36, Pictures, Highway Song, The System, Ego Brains, Thetawaves, Roulette, and Streamline all have something quite memorable in them.
Yeah, there's a bit of the overplay thing with certain songs (Chop Suey, Toxicity...), but I think it's interesting how some of the biggest hits (BYOB, Lonely Day...) are, at least to you and me, nowhere near the best songs.

Oh, and I love the lyrics/composition in DDevil.

Last edited:
Reactions: S E P H

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
So for the Canadians here, how big is SonReal in Canada? I just discovered him and he’s pretty good.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Point proven :laugh:

He’s from BC is all I really know, popped up on one of my discover playlists and he’s good from the few songs I’ve heard.
Yeah there really isn't many artists that are widely recognized compared to the US. Nickelback, Bieber, Drake, Tragically Hip, Billy Talent. That's pretty much all the Canadian bands that I can think of off the top of my head outside of smaller ones that nobody has never heard of. :laugh:

Maybe Classified, and that's only because he did some songs with Snoop Dogg a few years ago.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah there really isn't many artists that are widely recognized compared to the US. Nickelback, Bieber, Drake, Tragically Hip, Billy Talent. That's pretty much all the Canadian bands that I can think of off the top of my head outside of smaller ones that nobody has never heard of. :laugh:

Maybe Classified, and that's only because he did some songs with Snoop Dogg a few years ago.

Oh wow I haven’t thought of Billy Talent in forever. I listened to them all the time in high school.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
The intro for Fallen Leaves is one of my favourites. Something about it I just love.
I remember my friend introduced me to Billy Talent when "II" came out and I went out and bought both the first two albums - get this - on CD from a brick and mortar department store. Listened to Fallen Leaves and Devil in a Midnight Mass so much. Then of course soon after I wouldn't have my own personality for 3-4 years because of middle school, so that went out the door for a while.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
That song in general is just so good. Also Try Honesty from their self titled track is probably my favorite song of theirs.
I remember my friend introduced me to Billy Talent when "II" came out and I went out and bought both the first two albums - get this - on CD from a brick and mortar department store. Listened to Fallen Leaves and Devil in a Midnight Mass so much. Then of course soon after I wouldn't have my own personality for 3-4 years because of middle school, so that went out the door for a while.

I remember graduating HS and thinking that all the old bands that I used to love in middle school and such were 'dated' and 'uncool' now so I deleted them all from my iPod. Now in hindsight I was a dumb teenager and actually middle school me had way better taste than HS me. :laugh:

Reactions: The Abusement Park

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
That song in general is just so good. Also Try Honesty from their self titled track is probably my favorite song of theirs.
To be honest, the two first albums are solid as a whole. The third is good too, but after that I get less familiar. Honestly, I like the sadder songs for emo teens in 2006: Surrender, Standing in the Rain, Nothing to Lose. But looking at it, I also really like a handful of other songs, which ultimately makes all of them.
I remember graduating HS and thinking that all the old bands that I used to love in middle school and such were 'dated' and 'uncool' now so I deleted them all from my iPod. Now in hindsight I was a dumb teenager and actually middle school me had way better taste than HS me. :laugh:
Turns out late primary school me had easily the best taste in music out of all of us. Way broader range than in middle school or high school. Just before I went all metal. Which I later overcorrected with too much hip-hop.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
High school me was the worst. I was that guy that didn’t listen to any sort of popular music and would only listen to like indie stuff. And be that asshole, the one who crapped on any music that was relatively popular.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Back in the day I had like 900, I think my account is still kicking around but I haven't actually touched it in probably 7~ years.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Hey, how do people have hundreds of Facebook friends? I have 200 odd, and I'm thinking I could drop a hundred and not bat an eye.

I have around 550, almost all of which are high school/work/childhood friends, so I don't have the heart to unfriend any (I've only done so if they post something blatantly racist and what not). I read somewhere the maximum you can reliably keep up with is around 130 or so. So people just kinda come and go except for my very closest friends who still live in CO. Every now and then I'm like, huh, haven't heard from that person in a while and I'll look them up. Sometimes they're still friends with me, sometimes I've been "purged."

And this isn't even counting all the various causes, animal shelters/rescues, restaurants, businesses, and animal pages that I follow. :laugh: I've tried to make it so that if I follow something/someone on one social media network I don't follow them on another.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Social media is a social experiment gone horribly wrong.

That said I do still have Twitter and Snapchat, but on the large scale I don't think it's been a very good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad