OT: The Avalounge: No Politics in the Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
I just went and looked at GreenChef's menu options. They do look really healthy and good. I might have to try that one next. I feel like if I'm smart about it and rotate through a few different suppliers I won't have to pay full price all that often.

EDIT: Also your name change is confusing lol

Lemme know and I'll send you a friend referral ;)

P.S. That was the plan until I realized I have to keep it for a year...

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Signed up for HelloFresh this morning since a friend had a coupon for like 15% off the first box + free shipping. This last month has been so f***ed up and I've been awful recently about cooking from home/going to the grocery store. I always end up buying the same things and throwing some stuff out. Figured I'd give it a shot after watching a friend cook a couple meals while I was visiting recently.

Anyone else use one of these services? Seems like a good deal as long as I don't end up hungry walking over to the wendy's across the street after eating a whole meal.
I love Hello Fresh, not worth the money though

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Yeah, the meals come out to like $11 a meal or something give or take a couple dollars for whichever meal service you're buying. I spend WAY more than that on almost every meal.

Could also be why my savings is shit though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I've tried a few of those meal services including Hello Fresh and it almost always ends up the same process. Starts off great! You're having new and different meals. The quality is solid. You save time from going to the grocery store. Basically awesome! Then..... three months goes by and you end up on the same cycle of meals and repeat the same 3 thing every few weeks or just a minor spin on them (like 50 different types of a cheeseburger).

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I've tried a few of those meal services including Hello Fresh and it almost always ends up the same process. Starts off great! You're having new and different meals. The quality is solid. You save time from going to the grocery store. Basically awesome! Then..... three months goes by and you end up on the same cycle of meals and repeat the same 3 thing every few weeks or just a minor spin on them (like 50 different types of a cheeseburger).
I was wondering about it getting bland after a period of time. I'm currently on track to be moving to a situation where I won't be buying my own food to cook in November so that will probably be the perfect time to bail from the service and try something new next round.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I was wondering about it getting bland after a period of time. I'm currently on track to be moving to a situation where I won't be buying my own food to cook in November so that will probably be the perfect time to bail from the service and try something new next round.
It builds that way over time, but yeah takes a few months. There are some meals I have kept incorporating into my rotation that were really good and I didn't even think of trying before. That is the best part of them.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Why would you say they aren't worth the money? Cheaper to buy groceries? Different meal service is better? Taco Bell just serves your needs better?
I don’t eat a lot so for me, I spend more during the week using hello fresh rather than buying groceries for that week.

The cool things about these sites is that their recipes are all online.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
So, I've never really seen a game on SN before. I just started the Jet's Canadiens game and they've got this dude Kyle Bukauskas who is the splitting image of Alfred E Neuman from Mad Magazine.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Main boards are about on par with twitter these days.. everyone looking for likes and trashing other teams and players to try and by edgy

HfAvs gonna be my only social media connection now!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
In the beginnings of debating in my head whether or not I want to quit my job. Been with the company a while (11 years) and have moved up a few times. I make enough salary, the benefits are good, the challenge is there… I just recently got passed over for an executive role and the message has been loud and clear… not enough outside experience to be in the role. Plus something else that I can’t control nor want to post on here because of the political shit storm. Feels weird to be at a turning point like this. I don’t know what I want to do next. Do I go back and get a MBA? Do I work on the client side of my industry? Do I find a growing company to help take to the next level? Do I say screw it, buy a van and live next to the river? I guess this is my mid life crisis at 35 :laugh:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
In the beginnings of debating in my head whether or not I want to quit my job. Been with the company a while (11 years) and have moved up a few times. I make enough salary, the benefits are good, the challenge is there… I just recently got passed over for an executive role and the message has been loud and clear… not enough outside experience to be in the role. Plus something else that I can’t control nor want to post on here because of the political shit storm. Feels weird to be at a turning point like this. I don’t know what I want to do next. Do I go back and get a MBA? Do I work on the client side of my industry? Do I find a growing company to help take to the next level? Do I say screw it, buy a van and live next to the river? I guess this is my mid life crisis at 35 :laugh:
source.gif

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO

I felt like you. Made a total career change during covid that I’d started working on back in 2018. I finally feel in control of my career. Business politics sucks man. I was so burnt out on it. The most important thing in my eyes was to find an industry and career where I could go off and do my own thing eventually someday if I want to. I was so tired of the games of kissing ass to get anywhere.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I felt like you. Made a total career change during covid that I’d started working on back in 2018. I finally feel in control of my career. Business politics sucks man. I was so burnt out on it. The most important thing in my eyes was to find an industry and career where I could go off and do my own thing eventually someday if I want to. I was so tired of the games of kissing ass to get anywhere.
Yup… I didn’t think there was a ton of politics at my work place, but seems I was mostly insulated… or I guess the board changed enough over the past year or two that I’m violently exposed now. Im seeing that I’m just not their image of who they want. Not necessarily the wrong qualifications, just wrong. Which is a pain in the ass and sucks. I know I can help a number of companies and find a great job… I’m just not sure if I want to. I gotta at least stick it out for 7 months, so who knows but got time

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not that I am going to be a total help, but from my experience with jobs is that majority of people who get passed over, especially ones who'd be a serious candidate probably has no more room to grow there. I've seen countless number of people not get a job and actually quit or move to a lateral position at another facility. Similar to the Avs winning the Cup, sometimes you need the stars to align by having a boss who really values and thinks highly of you. When I was in college, I wanted some experience working in a hospital and my director at the time was like three years older than me, was actually recruited from California from the CEO, and was being groomed for the COO position with the company that he eventually got a couple years ago. I guarantee you that he had little to no outside experience except for our job and sometimes you need to find a boss that likes internal hires over outside. One of my family friends has worked a long time at a telly provider and the stories he told me is that they do an insane amount of outside hires including outside promotions instead of internal. They also have a huge discrimination on ageism, which would be almost impossible to prove in court. Personally for me, I only worked a handful of jobs before starting my career so I never really needed or wanted to rise up in a company, but a lot of my friends including you lot probably had an insane amount of jobs from like 21 to 35-ish years old. Maybe you gotta bounce around until you find that "excellent" fit.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Not that I am going to be a total help, but from my experience with jobs is that majority of people who get passed over, especially ones who'd be a serious candidate probably has no more room to grow there. I've seen countless number of people not get a job and actually quit or move to a lateral position at another facility. Similar to the Avs winning the Cup, sometimes you need the stars to align by having a boss who really values and thinks highly of you. When I was in college, I wanted some experience working in a hospital and my director at the time was like three years older than me, was actually recruited from California from the CEO, and was being groomed for the COO position with the company that he eventually got a couple years ago. I guarantee you that he had little to no outside experience except for our job and sometimes you need to find a boss that likes internal hires over outside. One of my family friends has worked a long time at a telly provider and the stories he told me is that they do an insane amount of outside hires including outside promotions instead of internal. They also have a huge discrimination on ageism, which would be almost impossible to prove in court. Personally for me, I only worked a handful of jobs before starting my career so I never really needed or wanted to rise up in a company, but a lot of my friends including you lot probably had an insane amount of jobs from like 21 to 35-ish years old. Maybe you gotta bounce around until you find that "excellent" fit.

My boss is retiring and I was being groomed for that role. Basically in that right fit sort of job. I got a bit lucky as this was my first long-term job after college (had a short stint at a CPA firm, but that's it... and I never want to be a CPA). For the most part, the company has been really good to me and I have gotten a lot of great experience through the years. Getting passed over here does likley mean I'm capped for at least the next 3-4, but maybe longer. I'm a pretty ambitious sort and know my skill set and the value that brings. I could help pretty much any smaller (less than 200 employee) consulting firm grow geographically (internationally and regionally) and in different industries, develop, and have the right footing to to double or triple within 3-5 years. What I lack is experience on taking my size (600ish) of company to a larger 1000+ person company and taking a company public. Also lack some experience on mergers and acquisitions as I've only done a couple.

I know I can find a job doing what I'm doing and help a lot of companies. I could bounce around for that right fit. The crux of my issue is do I really want to? I could quit the rat race now and go scout. I could take 5 years off travel and explore (my wife works remotely anyway so we can go anywhere). I could team up and start my own consulting firm. Or I could stay in the industry and pull in decent checks for 3-4 years and say screw it all then. This all feels weird. :laugh:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
My boss is retiring and I was being groomed for that role. Basically in that right fit sort of job. I got a bit lucky as this was my first long-term job after college (had a short stint at a CPA firm, but that's it... and I never want to be a CPA). For the most part, the company has been really good to me and I have gotten a lot of great experience through the years. Getting passed over here does likley mean I'm capped for at least the next 3-4, but maybe longer. I'm a pretty ambitious sort and know my skill set and the value that brings. I could help pretty much any smaller (less than 200 employee) consulting firm grow geographically (internationally and regionally) and in different industries, develop, and have the right footing to to double or triple within 3-5 years. What I lack is experience on taking my size (600ish) of company to a larger 1000+ person company and taking a company public. Also lack some experience on mergers and acquisitions as I've only done a couple.

I know I can find a job doing what I'm doing and help a lot of companies. I could bounce around for that right fit. The crux of my issue is do I really want to? I could quit the rat race now and go scout. I could take 5 years off travel and explore (my wife works remotely anyway so we can go anywhere). I could team up and start my own consulting firm. Or I could stay in the industry and pull in decent checks for 3-4 years and say screw it all then. This all feels weird. :laugh:

Es0k5JuXIAEVzPQ.jpg

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Like Tea is by far the best tea I've ever had in my life, Ozo in Boulder is a solid second, while Corvus coffee is probably the most unique I've had.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Like Tea is by far the best tea I've ever had in my life, Ozo in Boulder is a solid second, while Corvus coffee is probably the most unique I've had.

Bagel Bites are the best frozen pizza product, while Pizza Rolls are a solid second, while Hot Pockets are most unique.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Bagel Bites are the best frozen pizza product, while Pizza Rolls are a solid second, while Hot Pockets are most unique.
This is an important discussion. I'm concerned, however, because this thread is already over the 1k replies limit and I fear that if a new thread gets created we'll lose this discussion to the annals of thread infamy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad