OT: The Avalounge: No Homers Club

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Have you seen the turquoise 2000 Toyota Corolla hatchback and station wagon, though? Have you seen a Fiat Multipla? Hey, have you seen the Nissan Juke?
Those are all horribly ugly cars too. But none of them are brand new, top of the line, electric cars of the future from a company with a reputation of producing decent looking cars in the past.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I really don't think Tesla cares if there are minimal sales. This is purely a gift to Musk for making the 3 and soon the Y a reality. I imagine they will sell 10-20k a year, have decent margins, and only be bought by people wanting to be different.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Those are all horribly ugly cars too. But none of them are brand new, top of the line, electric cars of the future from a company with a reputation of producing decent looking cars to begin with.
I think it's cool, but it's a concept car and people don't drive concept cars.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
That thing is the ugliest god damn car I've ever seen. Tesla is out of their minds if they think people want a vehicle that looks like it's straight out of a science fiction movie.

The price point ain't that bad though.
I work at Tesla and agree it’s pretty out there. It’s definitely selling though.

I got to shoot the video for it and it took some time to grow in me, but when you ride/drive in it... it’s a game changer.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I work at Tesla and agree it’s pretty out there. It’s definitely selling though.

I got to shoot the video for it and it took some time to grow in me, but when you ride/drive in it... it’s a game changer.

Wanna swap jobs?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Oddly enough I was actually having a conversation with a coworker just yesterday about how Tesla's are becoming more affordable and attractive(Not literally because that truck is uhhhhh, different) vehicles to purchase.

In Newfoundland they announced this week that they are going to be building 14 of those fast charge stations across the province, which makes the vehicle a much better option here now than before.

Plus, the Canadian government recently(I think it was recently anyway) announcing an incentive plan for people to purchase electric vehicles instead of gas powered vehicles... With part of that plan including a $5000 rebate on your purchase of an electric vehicle that's under $55,000 in price. And Tesla dropped the price on the Model 3 version to under that $55,000 mark so that Canadians could buy the vehicle and be eligible for the rebate...

So after looking into it a bit and doing some financial planning we came up with a price of roughly $44,000 for a new one, and $585 monthly payments on a 6 year loan.

Which considering I'm paying $350 a month on my car right now, plus probably $175 in gas a month... it wasn't much of an increase in costs. In fact once the insurance adjustments get factored in I almost think it might be close to the same price.

I'm not in a position to be looking at buying one yet. And at least for the next couple of years I'm still not convinced they're a good purchase to make at least in Newfoundland without having the charging stations built yet. But I am starting to think more and more about going with a Tesla for my next vehicle. Certainly thinking it'll be an electric car regardless with the direction the world is heading in, the incentives to buy them will only get better and prices will only become more affordable I believe.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Oddly enough I was actually having a conversation with a coworker just yesterday about how Tesla's are becoming more affordable and attractive(Not literally because that truck is uhhhhh, different) vehicles to purchase.

In Newfoundland they announced this week that they are going to be building 14 of those fast charge stations across the province, which makes the vehicle a much better option here now than before.

Plus, the Canadian government recently(I think it was recently anyway) announcing an incentive plan for people to purchase electric vehicles instead of gas powered vehicles... With part of that plan including a $5000 rebate on your purchase of an electric vehicle that's under $55,000 in price. And Tesla dropped the price on the Model 3 version to under that $55,000 mark so that Canadians could buy the vehicle and be eligible for the rebate...

So after looking into it a bit and doing some financial planning we came up with a price of roughly $44,000 for a new one, and $585 monthly payments on a 6 year loan.

Which considering I'm paying $350 a month on my car right now, plus probably $175 in gas a month... it wasn't much of an increase in costs. In fact once the insurance adjustments get factored in I almost think it might be close to the same price.

I'm not in a position to be looking at buying one yet. And at least for the next couple of years I'm still not convinced they're a good purchase to make at least in Newfoundland without having the charging stations built yet. But I am starting to think more and more about going with a Tesla for my next vehicle. Certainly thinking it'll be an electric car regardless with the direction the world is heading in, the incentives to buy them will only get better and prices will only become more affordable I believe.
Living in the Bay Area has is 4.15/gallon. By no means are we wealthy. We got a 3 simply because the cost is the same or less.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I've made it clear I have some issues with Elon overall, but I'm actually quite fascinated by that "Cybertruck." Certainly nothing like it on the road today.

Had to get a new car earlier this year and it was a little ridiculous how virtually all cars look the same. And additionally, there's like, 5 color choices between muted red, muted blue, REALLY muted gray, black, or white.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
I smell a ransom letter coming to @JWK soon.
@JWK

GTPbSiQ.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad