OT: The Avalounge: Nerd Central 2.0

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Nah, but I do get the appeal of superhero movies, I've seen a fair bit and they're light and kinda fun, what I don't get is how are y'all not fatigued by now?
That's because and as you mentioned they're super easy to watch with superb acting within them. Perhaps people are becoming too superficial nowadays where heroes winning in the end in straight linear plots is what's popular..as majority of them are Disney's rehash dating back to the 1930s. However, Infinity Wars is the first movie to show the darkside where the good guys are left devastated and why Endgames is getting so much hype. I actually agree that there was a time I was completely fatigued that they were coming out every other month it seemed like, but that could've been due to Disney's marketing team which probably spends more than half of African nations. What movies surpassed that fatigue was Spiderman, Black Panther, and Thor: Ragnorok which are all triple AAA movies even though Black Panther gets insanely overrated by MCU fans.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
That's because and as you mentioned they're super easy to watch with superb acting within them. Perhaps people are becoming too superficial nowadays where heroes winning in the end in straight linear plots is what's popular..as majority of them are Disney's rehash dating back to the 1930s. However, Infinity Wars is the first movie to show the darkside where the good guys are left devastated and why Endgames is getting so much hype. I actually agree that there was a time I was completely fatigued that they were coming out every other month it seemed like, but that could've been due to Disney's marketing team which probably spends more than half of African nations. What movies surpassed that fatigue was Spiderman, Black Panther, and Thor: Ragnorok which are all triple AAA movies even though Black Panther gets insanely overrated by MCU fans.
Let's not act like the acting is superb. You named like seven people who've done a "superb" job, and those roles are all the same. They have very little variance in what the actor does over a film's run and half the shit is cgi. Brie Larson's regular ass is like the office secretary at a cosplay thing.

Besides, the MCU has become the PC virtual back pat crowd's favorite where they choose the next minority they want to put on a pedestal and create Oscar buzz for average mass production movies. Can't wait for people like Ryan Parker to tweet about who the next actress is that was magical in a Marvel movie.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Looking forward to Endgame. I'm still so very impressed with how they've mostly gotten all these different moving parts to work independently and then put them together in one big spectacle. And they've only had maybe one or two major recastings. Compare that with the complete messes the Fox X-Men films and DC Universe are and you can see just how hard all that is to do.

Do I think Black Panther was truly Oscar-worthy? Nah...but I'm glad the Academy is finally not turning up its nose at standard popcorn fare.

But I'll admit, I've been a die-hard comic book nerd since childhood and even I'm getting superhero fatigue. Glad they're finishing big, and maybe focusing on smaller fare like Spider-Man. But ultimately I'd really like Hollywood to get the hell away from franchise madness. Just make a damn movie. ONE movie.

Reactions: McMetal

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Looking forward to Endgame. I'm still so very impressed with how they've mostly gotten all these different moving parts to work independently and then put them together in one big spectacle. And they've only had maybe one or two major recastings. Compare that with the complete messes the Fox X-Men films and DC Universe are and you can see just how hard all that is to do.

Do I think Black Panther was truly Oscar-worthy? Nah...but I'm glad the Academy is finally not turning up its nose at standard popcorn fare.

But I'll admit, I've been a die-hard comic book nerd since childhood and even I'm getting superhero fatigue. Glad they're finishing big, and maybe focusing on smaller fare like Spider-Man. But ultimately I'd really like Hollywood to get the hell away from franchise madness. Just make a damn movie. ONE movie.

My girlfriend saw End Game last night and was a little disappointed. Said there were a decent amount of plot holes/inconsistencies that popped up that shouldn’t have and the beginning is super slow. But said the fight scene is everything you can want. I’m not super involved in the superhero genre so I don’t have an opinion on it but I’m curious what everyone else’s is.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
...I’m curious what everyone else’s is.

I think it was very good. It wasn't a great movie on its own but it served its role as the narrative climax to everything that came before very well.

In terms of the plot inconsistencies... Eh, yeah, I can see that. But its the sort of plot inconsistencies that you have sit back and remember what you're watching before you should really let it bother you enough to be more than something to take note of.

I want to know why people are still "go to the grand opening" level interested in the MCU?
For me, its just that "first day" sort of interest for the big stuff like Avengers, and maybe some stuff that really hooks me as a solo film. Most everything else are things I end up waiting for streaming/rentals to watch months later.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think it was very good. It wasn't a great movie on its own but it served its role as the narrative climax to everything that came before very well.

In terms of the plot inconsistencies... Eh, yeah, I can see that. But its the sort of plot inconsistencies that you have sit back and remember what you're watching before you should really let it bother you enough to be more than something to take note of.

I haven’t seen it and even if I did my opinion wouldn’t matter because I wouldn’t know what’s going on. Just kind of curious of other people’s opinions on it as she though the beginning was really slow and some inconsistencies as I mentioned. She still thought it was good, just thought it could’ve been a better movie.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
So.. is End Game the final Marvel movie? This is it?
Oh no, of course not.

"In May 2018, Disney CEO Bob Iger said of Marvel's plans beyond Endgame, "I'm guessing we will try our hand at what I'll call a new franchise beyond Avengers, but that doesn't necessarily mean you won't see more Avengers down the road. We just haven't made any announcements about that." Iger added, "Given the popularity of the characters and given the popularity of the franchise, I don't think people should conclude there will never be another Avengers movie."[134] Shortly after the film's premiere, Anthony Russo stated that he and Joe Russo did not "have any plans for now to make any more Marvel movies" after Endgame, but that they were not opposed to returning to the MCU in the future due to their "wonderful" relationship with Marvel Studios."

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
There is the GotG 3 move coming in 2020(?), though that will likely get pushed back as Gunn has a commitment to Suicide Squad, which is due early 2021. And with them talking about Phase 4, I doubt they mean just one or two movies. I would bet on at least one more Captain Marvel, a 3rd Spidey, possibly a second Black Panther, and it would not surprise me to see them do a "New Avengers" set.

Reactions: McMetal

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
f***.

I LOVED the Batman trilogy (not marvel I know but superhero), watched Iron man, one of the guardians of the galaxy (the Winter knight one) and I enjoyed them all.

However, there's just too many! It's like the outdoor games. At first it was cool and now it's like oh, another one? Great.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrickNHL

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I’m with you, @UncleRisto. I thought there was charm to the MCU back when it first started, but now there’s waaaayyyy too much money pumped into these productions, and the amount of politics surrounding each new superhero movie is ridiculous and totally unnecessary, especially given the genre of film we’re talking about here.

My wife is going to see Captain Marvel and Endgame tomorrow without me. She took an interest in the MCU randomly about a year ago, and now she’s hyped for Endgame, and I could not care less. It’s weird because I used to have to drag her to see something like the first Guardians of the Galaxy in theaters. Now she can’t get me to go with to see the big climax to everything. I am so unbelievably fatigued by all of it at this point which is weird because I love superheroes.

Personally, what I think sucks the most is that Marvel is getting all of this attention when their characters are so lame compared to DC’s. I love Spider-Man, but I would choose to read a Batman or Superman graphic novel over anything Marvel because the writing is just so much better with the DC characters. Neither of them can stand with the Hellboy books, but that movie apparently sucks so no one cares. I want legitimately good characters and stories in these movies since those exist in the graphic novels, but instead we’re given the same cookie cutter story served up that we’ve already seen in, what, 25 previous movies? I find it so draining.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Disney is going to milk their franchises for as long as they can and then chase a new trend after. Marvel and Star Wars galore. Which is a shame, because if they just finished up this phase and then did a couple movies here and there without the TV and other stuff, it would be extremely tolerable and they've be able to ramp back up again in the future after people have recovered. Instead it'll probably require at least a decade for a new generation to enter the scene.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Why do we not get fatigued from that?

Honestly, I think part of it has to do with the unpredictability or sports. Especially hockey, where outcomes are never set in stone and 8 seeds can sweep 1 seeds in the playoffs. Whereas in MCU movies you already know what’s going to happen every single time you sit down to watch one. It’s just different characters and actors playing out the same story beats over and over. Not that this is a bad thing since the appeal is still there for so many people, but compared to hockey where luck and the unknown play a huge part in every game, there’s a wide gap in the type of entertainment each provide.

Reactions: MacBradley

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I’m with you, @UncleRisto. I thought there was charm to the MCU back when it first started, but now there’s waaaayyyy too much money pumped into these productions, and the amount of politics surrounding each new superhero movie is ridiculous and totally unnecessary, especially given the genre of film we’re talking about here.

My wife is going to see Captain Marvel and Endgame tomorrow without me. She took an interest in the MCU randomly about a year ago, and now she’s hyped for Endgame, and I could not care less. It’s weird because I used to have to drag her to see something like the first Guardians of the Galaxy in theaters. Now she can’t get me to go with to see the big climax to everything. I am so unbelievably fatigued by all of it at this point which is weird because I love superheroes.

Personally, what I think sucks the most is that Marvel is getting all of this attention when their characters are so lame compared to DC’s. I love Spider-Man, but I would choose to read a Batman or Superman graphic novel over anything Marvel because the writing is just so much better with the DC characters. Neither of them can stand with the Hellboy books, but that movie apparently sucks so no one cares. I want legitimately good characters and stories in these movies since those exist in the graphic novels, but instead we’re given the same cookie cutter story served up that we’ve already seen in, what, 25 previous movies? I find it so draining.
That's true. Just from the comics point of view (although I'm not a comic reader) I much prefer the DCU. There's a way different feel to the whole thing. I don't know, I feel like I have a much stronger emotional connection to Batman and Superman.

Spider-Man is really the only Marvel character (albeit a very strong one) that I remember at all from my childhood.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
That's true. Just from the comics point of view (although I'm not a comic reader) I much prefer the DCU. There's a way different feel to the whole thing. I don't know, I feel like I have a much stronger emotional connection to Batman and Superman.

Spider-Man is really the only Marvel character (albeit a very strong one) that I remember at all from my childhood.
To me, the DC characters are just way more relatable than their Marvel counterparts. Their motivations are clear and make sense. Their struggles are human in nature. Even Superman, who isn’t a human, goes through emotional ups and downs like a normal person due to how he’s written. I chalk it up to DC employing the likes of Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, and Frank Miller in their primes for why their characters are written better. The stories those writers took them through helped mold them into being the relatable icons they continue to be today.

Similar to you, Spider-Man is the only Marvel character that I feel the same way about that I do most of the DC characters. Not sure why, but they hit a narrative gold mine with that character.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
To me, the DC characters are just way more relatable than their Marvel counterparts. Their motivations are clear and make sense. Their struggles are human in nature. Even Superman, who isn’t a human, goes through emotional ups and downs like a normal person due to how he’s written. I chalk it up to DC employing the likes of Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, and Frank Miller in their primes for why their characters are written better. The stories those writers took them through helped mold them into being the relatable icons they continue to be today.

Similar to you, Spider-Man is the only Marvel character that I feel the same way about that I do most of the DC characters. Not sure why, but they hit a narrative gold mine with that character.
You know, I look at these superhero franchises and Batman and Spider-Man are the only two where I've known a handful of their main villains since I was a little kid. I mean I knew Lex Luthor on top of that, but that has to be a big thing in creating that connection. Both Spider-Man and Batman have arch nemesisesesesemes that are just as iconic as the heroes. I don't know if everyone thinks that about Spider-Man villains, but I still don't know who those other Marvel guys even fight (okay Thanos, but I don't give a crap about something that became a mainstream thing when I was 20).

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
Repair my computer of 8 years for (,hopefully) around 100 bucks or buy a new basic one for 300?

What should I do?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Eight years is well past the point of when a computer should be replaced. Lay off the tacos for a week and treat yourself.

Reactions: BrickNHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad