OT: The Avalounge: Nerd Central 2.0

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Boring people still travel. Why don't you like it? Or is it just cost? I'm not judging, just curious - there's many reasons to not travel.

Right now I'm at a point where I'd just like to soak up the local atmosphere and find stuff to do here. Our garden, for the most part, is thriving and I'm trying very hard this season to actually utilize our crops rather than let them go to waste. Also, I've been busting my ass to keep the yard and landscaping in good condition and I'm just too involved to even let it slack for a few days. Right now my idea of a good time is going outside to pull up weeds with my headphones on playing a hockey podcast. :laugh:

In addition, our two dogs and one dog-in-law are now seniors and health issues are starting to really show. I want to spend as much time with them as I can before age really starts hitting them hard and we're no longer able to really have fun. Also, I help run a business and things are precarious at work. All I'd do is fret and worry if I took a trip at this point.

Also, right now I don't have the resources to scuba dive, which is 90% of the reason why I like to travel, so it's a moot point.

Come fall time I'll definitely be heading out to see my father and we'll hit up at least one Avs/Nuggets game. THEN, I'll get a bit of a travel bug.

Reactions: MarkT

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Nolan's not terrible, and I love that he's allowed to make whatever he wants. Love it or hate it, but the world needs more movies with creative ideas like Inception. Dunkirk was pretty good, as was The Prestige and Memento.

Also, they're remaking Memento, which probably means a whole generation will never see the original.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm a huge fan of Christopher Nolan, but I tend to gravitate towards movie creators that make movies without any sentimentality (Kubrick, Coens, Nolan). Nolan is amazing at set pieces in general and the movies usually have excellent plots. He's not the greatest at dialogues, often filling them with too much exposition. He's also not great with women's roles as well.

Villeneuve is quite uneven but his highs are excellent. Incendies is his best movie but Sicario is also very good. I wasn't crazy about Prisoners or Enemy. At least he's interesting even when he's average.

Last edited:

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Nice! When you do Croatia, don't miss Plitvice Lakes. Slovenia is lovely as well.

Hong Kong... hopefully is a better place to visit next year than it is now. Let me know if you want any travel tips for Asia.

Outside of Toronto/New York, I haven't done any on your list. I'm assuming you enjoyed them all?

Not sure if I'm going to have time to get to the lakes. Flying into Dubrovnik and out of Split 6 days later.

Yeah, Ireland and Iceland were nice. And I try to make it to San Diego once a year.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Not sure if I'm going to have time to get to the lakes. Flying into Dubrovnik and out of Split 6 days later.

Yeah, Ireland and Iceland were nice. And I try to make it to San Diego once a year.

I hope you are not going to Dubrovnik during the summer months. It is truly breathtaking, but during the summer it's a tourist trap where everything costs 5x more than it should and the streets are overcrowded. Plitvice is the same, absolutely amazing place, but something you should definitely go see in fall or spring.

I'm not sure what's your cup of tee, so you might not mind some of the stuff I mentioned, but if you have any questions please ask and I'll try to give you some insight.

Reactions: MarkT

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
One director worth watching is Tarsem Singh. He's always good for surreal imagery and a movie that just plain looks different. Immortals is by no means a masterpiece but it injects new life into a pretty tired genre. I haven't seen Mirror Mirror or Self/Less though.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
giphy.gif

Got an early birthday present last night from the in-laws...a Cale Makar 2017 Draft autographed puck. Only my second Avs autograph (have a Stastny one on a jersey I bought at Altitude Authentics on the night of the last game of his rookie season...there's definitely a story there lol). So it's now displayed with my other Avs items in my makeshift "Mancave".

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017

Okay southern Croatia then. I'll happily defer to Ivan though - always good to talk to locals before visiting a place. Have fun!

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Although I find multiple acceptable answers like AC/DC and Motörhead, I'll go for my hottest take: Led Zeppelin f***ing sucks.

Reactions: McMetal

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Damn, there are some good answers here.

I've come to appreciate The Beatles much more than I did in the past, they've made great songs, but I also think they're overrated in terms of popularity.

I think the true answer is AC/DC. They gotta be one of the worst bands of all time, just trashy music with a guy that sounds like his nose is plugged with mucus every day. Terrible stuff and either their songs are hidden innuendos about sex or something about the colour black when in reality black isn't a colour...

In terms of just songs, Survivor - "Eye of the Tigre" and Lennon's "Imagine". My God I hate these songs with such a passion that if I ever become world ruler I would create "Singapore" type laws with the punishment of death if they ever played these in public.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I've come to appreciate The Beatles much more than I did in the past, they've made great songs, but I also think they're overrated in terms of popularity.

I think the true answer is AC/DC. They gotta be one of the worst bands of all time, just trashy music with a guy that sounds like his nose is plugged with mucus every day. Terrible stuff and either their songs are hidden innuendos about sex or something about the colour black when in reality black isn't a colour...

In terms of just songs, Survivor - "Eye of the Tigre" and Lennon's "Imagine". My God I hate these songs with such a passion that if I ever become world ruler I would create "Singapore" type laws with the punishment of death if they ever played these in public.

Most overrated song is and always will be “Don’t stop believing” by journey.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
That’s easy - KISS
KISS is the absolute worst. Soulless sellout hacks with egos the size of planets. I'll never understand why they have such a die hard following, I hate them with a passion that outshines my loathing for any other musical entity.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I think KISS deserves consideration here, but I think they've made a few songs that are pretty good. Even if they are a clear minority to the songs that are trash.

Yep. While I generally dislike Led Zeppelin's sound, at least I can appreciate their musical talent. Meanwhile, AC/DC made the most boring song possible and called it f***ing "Rock N' Roll Train".

Reactions: S E P H

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
In general 80s rock hasn't aged well. Journey, Boston, Twisted Sister, Motley Crue and so on. Guns N' Roses also feel very stale today.

Those that did super melodic stuff like Def Leppard and Bon Jovi aged a little bit better, because of the pop qualities of the music.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Are you guys trying to pick fights? While ANY period of popular music has artists that becomes more popular than they should based on talent, you seem to be acting like a particular decade has a worse record than any other.

I feel this is a generational thing. Much like if I were to say the new bands of today are a bunch of derivative crap.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Are you guys trying to pick fights? While ANY period of popular music has artists that becomes more popular than they should based on talent, you seem to be acting like a particular decade has a worse record than any other.

I feel this is a generational thing. Much like if I were to say the new bands of today are a bunch of derivative crap.
People on here have horrible taste in music and they should feel bad. Buncha death metal heads in here :laugh:

Reactions: MonsterMack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad