OT: The Avalounge: Nerd Central 2.0

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
What do you guys think of Disney+? I know Disney is The Corporation to some, but with their IP they could offer an interesting streaming service. Limited in some aspects possibly, but at least for occasional use it could be a fun service.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
it will kill it - they have Hulu, ESPN, and all the superhero movies that you fellas can't stop talking about on here.

There will be more than enough interest in this. And when it comes to cable pricing, it's all about content. The death of cable wasn't because Comcast/Dish/etc. sucked...it's because ESPN, NBC, and others were sucking so much blood money out of those companies that they had to keep raising rates. When you go to the table with ESPN and every year they want $1 more per subscriber, you have no choice but to raise rates on your customers and piss them off. That cable delivering model (providing cable without owning the channels) is dying a slow death. The new champions of cable will be the ones who have the best content and Disney knows they have an upper hand there. It's also the reason Comcast has bought up so many channels as well.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
it will kill it - they have Hulu, ESPN, and all the superhero movies that you fellas can't stop talking about on here.

There will be more than enough interest in this. And when it comes to cable pricing, it's all about content. The death of cable wasn't because Comcast/Dish/etc. sucked...it's because ESPN, NBC, and others were sucking so much blood money out of those companies that they had to keep raising rates. When you go to the table with ESPN and every year they want $1 more per subscriber, you have no choice but to raise rates on your customers and piss them off. That cable delivering model (providing cable without owning the channels) is dying a slow death. The new champions of cable will be the ones who have the best content and Disney knows they have an upper hand there. It's also the reason Comcast has bought up so many channels as well.
Star Wars content, The Simpsons, Disney and Pixar content, the Disney non-animation film catalog, FOX, FX, NatGeo... Very excited to see what all the service actually includes at launch. Disney simply owns too much stuff to fail.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
What do you guys think of Disney+? I know Disney is The Corporation to some, but with their IP they could offer an interesting streaming service. Limited in some aspects possibly, but at least for occasional use it could be a fun service.

I cannot wait for this service to come out, and that was pre-Fox acquisition.

That was before learning yesterday that they are planning to eventually offer a Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ bundle (I already pay for Hulu Plus, would gladly pay for something with Disney+ and ESPN+ in there too).

That was before learning that the price is either $6.99 a month or $69.99 a year.

AFTER learning all of that yesterday, I am somehow even more pumped than before.

Some people (myself included) wondered why they were taking their time launching, and it really does seem like we were given a huge answer yesterday--they are aiming to live up to their desire to be the "Netflix killer". And honestly, at this point, if it weren't for the fact that my family is getting Netflix for free via T-Mobile, we would be thinking long and hard about not having it (aside from the fact that it appears no one in our house can live w/o The Office, Parks & Rec, and Friends lol)

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Some people (myself included) wondered why they were taking their time launching, and it really does seem like we were given a huge answer yesterday--they are aiming to live up to their desire to be the "Netflix killer".
I imagined a giant Mickey Mouse head shaped Death Star.

Of course that's what everyone already did on the internet when the Star Wars sale went down...

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Former Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham’s son Jason John Bonham had a recent interview with Howard Stern’s SiriusXM and revealed that Jimmy Page gave him cocaine when he was 16.
Here is John’s statement:
“Jimmy was the first one to ever give it to me. We got called to his room. I was 16 at this point, and there was a woman on the floor with a collar on, meowing, and he had this grinder thing and he turned it over and he went, ‘Here you go,’ and I went, ‘Thanks.’
He’s like, ‘You’ve done this before, right?’ And I’m like, ‘Yeah, of course I have.’ So he handed it over and I just did all of it, and he went, ‘Just like your father – you know, that was supposed to be for all of us.’”

Not sure if appropriate but lmao at the woman on the floor with a collar on meowing. What a strange scene for a 16 year old to walk into haha.

Reactions: LieutenantDangle

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Day 1 purchase for me

Reunited with Panda's honey walnut shrimp and it feels so good

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Former Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham’s son Jason John Bonham had a recent interview with Howard Stern’s SiriusXM and revealed that Jimmy Page gave him cocaine when he was 16.
Here is John’s statement:
“Jimmy was the first one to ever give it to me. We got called to his room. I was 16 at this point, and there was a woman on the floor with a collar on, meowing, and he had this grinder thing and he turned it over and he went, ‘Here you go,’ and I went, ‘Thanks.’
He’s like, ‘You’ve done this before, right?’ And I’m like, ‘Yeah, of course I have.’ So he handed it over and I just did all of it, and he went, ‘Just like your father – you know, that was supposed to be for all of us.’”

Not sure if appropriate but lmao at the woman on the floor with a collar on meowing. What a strange scene for a 16 year old to walk into haha.

Not the first illegal thing Jimmy Page has done with a minor.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Where the hell did the Avalounge GoT thread go. Did it get nuked in the server transfer? I can't find it and bump it.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I'm not even seeing ads, but this "Smartfeed" thing at the bottom of each page inside of a thread is really bothering me for some reason.
Same. Like 6-7 adds long before I can get to the bottom and go back to the forum.

Edit-Actually 11 box adds at the bottom before the forum bar...

Edit 2-Nice title change

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad