OT: The Avalounge: Mmm... Steamed Yams!

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Lol the Left? More like the right and their "muh freedom" nonsense. It's a mask not your guns.
I think you can make the case that there have been idiots on both sides; DeSantis did great job with nursing homes, but failed everywhere else. Cuomo failed terribly with nursing homes and overrated ventilators. Whitmer just failed in general. The "suppressing my freedom protest" nonsense didn't really do any good either, but arresting people like the one woman in Texas to cut hair is pretty evil as well. Honestly the best governor thus far has been Polis in Colorado; he was the first to recommend masks (even if majority of masks are meh at best), have a genuine concern at both sides of shutting businesses down/health and safety, and then changed the covid protocol which lowered the death rates by 20%. Colorado is a weird state in terms of covid because besides Denver, Co Springs, and FoCo, the worst cases have been in the mountains from a lot of international travel via skiing.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The problem is that majority of facemasks people are wearing aren't really helping at all, majority of the USA population cannot legitimately get N95s. Wearing a Clint Eastwood bandana isn't protecting anyone, viruses are way too small and can easily pass through probably 90%+ masks currently on the market.

That's such a big misconception that we hear all the time.

The virus cannot travel unless its attached to a droplet that is many thousands of times bigger. So your misplaced, artisanal mask won't protect you much, but it can still stop a large portion of the droplets that you'd otherwise leave in the air when you're breathing and talking.

The point of wearing a mask in public is to protect others. If I wear one I protect you, if you wear one you protect me. If everyone is doing it then everyone is protected (to a degree).

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Aren't you doing exactly what I said? I shouldn't have said it's one-sided. It's every American on one of the sides.
Everything everywhere has become politicalized, it isn't just an American trait. Though it is strongest there. At the end of the day it's just a mask, if people feel more comfortable wearing one then wear it.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Everything everywhere has become politicalized, it isn't just an American trait. Though it is strongest there. At the end of the day it's just a mask, if people feel more comfortable wearing one then wear it.
Don't threaten the health and life of people around you unless that makes you uncomfortable. Only do it if you're comfortable with it.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That's such a big misconception that we hear all the time.

The virus cannot travel unless its attached to a droplet that is many thousands of times bigger. So your misplaced, artisanal mask won't protect you much, but it can still stop a large portion of the droplets that you'd otherwise leave in the air when you're breathing and talking.

The point of wearing a mask in public is to protect others. If I wear one I protect you, if you wear one you protect me. If everyone is doing it then everyone is protected (to a degree).
A: The virus that causes COVID-19 spreads mainly from person to person, typically through respiratory droplets from coughing, sneezing, or talking.

A: COVID-19 is thought to spread mainly through close contact from person-to-person. Some people without symptoms may be able to spread the virus. We are still learning about how the virus spreads and the severity of illness it causes. The CDC has additional information on how COVID-19 spreads.

Just FTR I am not against wearing masks at all, I actually prefer people to wear them even the terrible bandana ones as it can reduce the area of a sneeze or cough. However, the trends are too big with them and just scarves when they're woven together that a certain percentage passes through no problem. Level 1 masks aren't fully protective either for me if you were to wear one and sneeze. It just limits the possibility of all the virus droplets of coming though. It helps no doubt, but big misconception is hyperbole.

Reactions: UncleRisto

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
A: The virus that causes COVID-19 spreads mainly from person to person, typically through respiratory droplets from coughing, sneezing, or talking.

A: COVID-19 is thought to spread mainly through close contact from person-to-person. Some people without symptoms may be able to spread the virus. We are still learning about how the virus spreads and the severity of illness it causes. The CDC has additional information on how COVID-19 spreads.

Yes, and that's exactly what I said...

Just FTR I am not against wearing masks at all, I actually prefer people to wear them even the terrible bandana ones as it can reduce the area of a sneeze or cough. However, the trends are too big with them and just scarves when they're woven together that a certain percentage passes through no problem. Level 1 masks aren't fully protective either for me if you were to wear one and sneeze. It just limits the possibility of all the virus droplets of coming though. It helps no doubt, but big misconception is hyperbole.

The misconception is saying that people would be better not wearing anything than wearing shitty masks. It's simply not true. Anything covering the mouth that can catch droplets on their way out is good.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
No, it's most definitely an American trait, given the American system.

Not that I know if the system itself is good or bad, but it's definitely a trend that's showing extra hard right now.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The majority of Finns have never worn masks. We'll see what happens, and it's different here than in California, but the American "left" is weird with the mask stuff. Everything isn't a f***ing political alignment.
It’s a both side thing not just a left side thing. Either way it’s dumb how everything has turned into being left or right basically.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
People can hardly wear masks in a way that benefits anyone in any way.
Sure it does, the virus hitches a ride on the microscopic droplets of water that come out when you breathe. Usually, those fly everywhere, but when you're wearing a mask, most of them get caught in the face covering and don't disperse nearly as widely. It's not a perfect defense by any means but it is a simple, easy, and low-cost way to restrict the asymptomatic spread of COVID.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Sure it does, the virus hitches a ride on the microscopic droplets of water that come out when you breathe. Usually, those fly everywhere, but when you're wearing a mask, most of them get caught in the face covering and don't disperse nearly as widely. It's not a perfect defense by any means but it is a simple, easy, and low-cost way to restrict the asymptomatic spread of COVID.
I'm not saying don't wear masks, but the positive effects of incorrect use are negligible, and the correct use guidelines are somewhat difficult to adhere to for people in their everyday life. As a result, people will kind of do it, and think they can do whatever they want.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Starting a new job on the 6th, only can give my current job 1 week notice, not really much I can do in this situation but it feels kinda scummy and I dont think the organization will take it very well
.. anyone else ever been in this situation?

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Starting a new job on the 6th, only can give my current job 1 week notice, not really much I can do in this situation but it feels kinda scummy and I dont think the organization will take it very well
.. anyone else ever been in this situation?
1 week is better than no week. If you couldn't do better just tell them the truth they shouldn't be mad at you.

Reactions: Flow

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm not saying don't wear masks, but the positive effects of incorrect use are negligible, and the correct use guidelines are somewhat difficult to adhere to for people in their everyday life. As a result, people will kind of do it, and think they can do whatever they want.
People during the covid peak were already half-arsing masks.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That's false. As long as the mouth is covered the effect is big.

They now know that the main source of transmission is via the bigger droplets ending in the mouth and the eyes of other people while talking too close to each other.

Reactions: McMetal

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
That's false. As long as the mouth is covered the effect is big.

They now know that the main source of transmission is via the bigger droplets ending in the mouth and the eyes of other people while talking too close to each other.
Well, Finland has had a 130 cases per 100 000 people. 25 people of 5.5 million are in hospital care. It ain't the masks. Apples and oranges though, apples and oranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad