OT: The Avalounge: Let's Go Drink Some Beer!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Oh I'm sure I know all the advice out there that could be given and everything that should or shouldn't be done. I'm trying to be as rational as possible, but that is always hard when emotions and 5+ year old ties are there. I think I know where it stems from, but that doesn't make any of this crap easier.

The more direct you both are about the situation the better. I spent about 5 years of my 20s going through a wishy washy relationship. I wish I had either went to one extreme (marriage) or the total other and not wasted so much of my time. She would exit and re-enter my life again and again and again. Brutal years.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
ya man. like every year around the beginning of february. Seasonal affective disorder. when it happens it usually helps when i introduce something new into my life, like a new hobby or something to get me looking ahead and yearning to partake in the new activity again

Yeah, weird situation. I've moved on today, distracting myself enough and focusing on other things. But it's amazing how the mind works sometimes.

In other news, I got a promotion today. I'm no longer an Associate Consultant but a regular Consultant. I also snagged a pretty hefty base pay raise and more stock. This isn't meant to be boasting, I just have no one else to discuss this with personally since it'd impact friendships, I'm stoked to have the chance to push 6-figures for the first time in my career by this time next year.

I never thought I'd be able to get a job out of college in which I'd be working from home/traveling and be so well taken care of this early in my career. Most of my peers (scientists and engineers) are still in the 50-60k range when I speak to them. We're all mid-late 20's with BS or MS degrees.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The more direct you both are about the situation the better. I spent about 5 years of my 20s going through a wishy washy relationship. I wish I had either went to one extreme (marriage) or the total other and not wasted so much of my time. She would exit and re-enter my life again and again and again. Brutal years.

I'm not the type to bounce around like that... hell, even what is happening seems really foreign to me. After my thoughts today, it may not even last much longer.

Yeah, weird situation. I've moved on today, distracting myself enough and focusing on other things. But it's amazing how the mind works sometimes.

In other news, I got a promotion today. I'm no longer an Associate Consultant but a regular Consultant. I also snagged a pretty hefty base pay raise and more stock. This isn't meant to be boasting, I just have no one else to discuss this with personally since it'd impact friendships, I'm stoked to have the chance to push 6-figures for the first time in my career by this time next year.

I never thought I'd be able to get a job out of college in which I'd be working from home/traveling and be so well taken care of this early in my career. Most of my peers (scientists and engineers) are still in the 50-60k range when I speak to them. We're all mid-late 20's with BS or MS degrees.

Congrats! So much of careers are timing and connections. You get into the right place at the right time and things can take off. Or the wrong place or wrong timing can cause stagnation. It is a funny world how that works.

Many of the people I graduated with are struggling along in near entry level jobs, some are even CPAs and are still on the lower rung. I took a corporate job with a growing company and now manage a sizable group... probably next to running all the financials of a subsidiary. I wasn't the smartest or most talented in my college group, but I picked the right job at the right time and worked hard while there.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Many of the people I graduated with are struggling along in near entry level jobs, some are even CPAs and are still on the lower rung. I took a corporate job with a growing company and now manage a sizable group... probably next to running all the financials of a subsidiary. I wasn't the smartest or most talented in my college group, but I picked the right job at the right time and worked hard while there.

That's a good way of looking at it, pretty similar position for me. When I joined we were around 700 strong and still in that 'big start-up' mode where the CEO was still approving new hires and teams were smaller. Now we're about double (in 1.5 years) and there's people that joined a couple years ahead of me leading teams. I'm in line now (as a regular Consultant) to be a Project Manager and there were a few people during my APR telling me I was on a career trajectory that would take me far if I decided to. Still unsure on that last part, but running a project is more comfortable for me than following, plus it pays better.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Congrats Wolf.

Not to derail your news, I'm amazed how much a good book can engulf your time.
I've never been a big reader, and mostly just read at airports or during flights/long train rides to spend my time.

I've now read almost the entire book "Rapid Response" by Steve Olvey in one sitting without even realizing that 3 hours went by. And it's been great fun (not the content though. Pretty sad stuff every once in a while).
It's not even well written, but the entire theme and the insight into motor racing safety is so fascinating that it captivates you.

member 116861

Congrats Lonewolfe!

When we throwing that party? Was suppose to happen a year ago...

member 116861

I washed my car last night and somehow it looks dirtier than original this morning.

:help:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm so sick of comic book movies, but I think I am willing to give Daredevil a chance. Wasn't there a movie about it like in 2005? Is it something like that? Is it better?

A "career". Something you don't get the luxury of with a liberal arts degree.

Guess that's why I'm probably off to dump 200k into law school.
If you want a successful career in terms of income, become a water lawyer.

I washed my car last night and somehow it looks dirtier than original this morning.

:help:
Hahahaha, did you add soap to it? :sarcasm:

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
I'm so sick of comic book movies, but I think I am willing to give Daredevil a chance. Wasn't there a movie about it like in 2005? Is it something like that? Is it better?

The movie was horrible. The series is really good.

The basics are the same. Matt Murdoch is a blind lawyer/ninja/vigilante. Foggy Nelson is his best friend and law partner, Karen Page is their secretary, Ben Urich is a journalist covering Daredevil.

The worst part about the film is how they tried to shoehorn in so many characters. Daredevil's two primary antagonists are Kingpin and Bullseye, plus Elektra in a Catwoman-esque sometimes friend/sometimes villain role. They tried to cram all three of them into a 103 minute film and it didn't work at all.

The series had Kingpin as the villain of an entire season, with Elektra as a major character in the following season. Bullseye hasn't even appeared yet.

The writing and fight sequences in the show are leagues ahead of the film.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
There are so many different types of spaghetti noodles.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Avs may suck. But the skiing today was anything but suck.
d6Iz7Qf.jpg

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Nature *****. Looks like some pretty fresh tracks man. Is that an area that you hiked up to?

Yeah. Those are our uphill skin tracks. Ended up skiing off to the left of the ridge I was standing on.

Deep snow. 12-16 inches of fresh on top of a reasonably soft base. I thought winter was over here. It had been a solid 8 weeks since any significant snowfall but I've skied pow the last three days. Pretty sick. :yo:

Last edited:

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Yeah. Those are our uphill skin tracks. Ended up skiing off to the left of the ridge I was standing on.

Deep snow. 12-16 inches of fresh on top of a reasonably soft base. I thought winter was over here. It had been a solid 8 weeks since any significant snowfall but I've skied pow the last three days. Pretty sick. :yo:

Nice man. I was an instructor at a hill here that's pretty sick but outside of a few weeks the snow was **** all season. The last few weeks have been really good I guess but I've been working fill time at a golf course over that entire period, so haven't been able to get out.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
Lol Seph! Are you serious?! I can't stand that ****.

Do you like the new O'Brother record? Andy and Rob from Manchester produced it. It's awesome.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

No one can beat Crayon Pop, but Girls Generation is coming really close. These two have to be some of the best Kpop songs I think I have listened to. That girl with the short pink-ish/yellow dyed hair is really cute.

Lol Seph! Are you serious?! I can't stand that ****.

Do you like the new O'Brother record? Andy and Rob from Manchester produced it. It's awesome.
I thought that would be hipster alternative music from UK, but I actually liked it. It was dark, and I liked the dark tone. Good find there, I've been listening to this...

Not a Phish fan, can't stand their 15 minute long jam live sessions, but Dirt is a really good song.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad