OT: The Avalounge: Crew Members Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I'm currently having my romantic dinner with myself. Won't y'all be my date?

Light yourself some candles, pour yourself a glass of wine and have a good night :yo:

Ukraine and Russia are my dates for the night. If you guys want to know about post-soviet era Ukraine and Russo tensions I'm your guy.

billybobjoe2112

Feb 2, 2010
Prince George B.C.
I know a few teachers, it's not easy. They spend a ton of time unpaid outside of the classroom doing work and preparing for class time, spending their own money on top of it. Then they have to be babysitters and therapists all the while dealing with parents, administrators and the system. Then at the end of the day nobody cares what they do because all the parent care about is their kids getting good grades/passing and the administration only cares about test scores.

This, this, this. My friend is in the final year of his education degree, and is currently doing his practicum. Every week night he is busy from 3 to 7~ planning the next day/week. And if he were teaching he'd be paid until 2:30 when the final bell goes.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
If Ukraine has this much of an issue with a single person, what'll they do when a country like Poland wants to invade?

Well if it's anything like when Poland invaded following the collapse of the Russian Monarchy.... hundreds of thousands will starve/die in a civil war and communism will once again take hold of eastern europe. Not really a great outcome. :laugh::laugh:

Okay hockey is over time to finish my paper. Only 4 of 12 pages left :cry:

FoppaForsberg*

I took the first year of the forestry program. Having to take Biology, Chemistry and Calculus, when I never took Biology or Chemistry, or Grade 12 Math in highschool, killed me.

How did you get accepted in without having those? :huh:

billybobjoe2112

Feb 2, 2010
Prince George B.C.
How did you get accepted in without having those? :huh:

I enrolled in the program at the College where I didn't need these classes. Then the school cancelled the program in March and the university said they'd accept everybody that had applied for the College Program. They didn't mention that we needed different pre-requisites.

FoppaForsberg*

Hm, that's bizarre. I couldn't imagine going into university not knowing all the basic sciences

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Hm, that's bizarre. I couldn't imagine going into university not knowing all the basic sciences

I'm not terribly surprised. Lots of ways to get into college without the typical k-12/regular school path. Not that it is a bad thing though. I like having a well educated population :laugh:

Anyone else up still. Probably going to be pushing well into the hours of the AM for this paper. Also any of you speak Russian/Ukrainian? Google translate ain't doing the trick on this source I'm working on

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm not terribly surprised. Lots of ways to get into college without the typical k-12/regular school path. Not that it is a bad thing though. I like having a well educated population :laugh:

Anyone else up still. Probably going to be pushing well into the hours of the AM for this paper. Also any of you speak Russian/Ukrainian? Google translate ain't doing the trick on this source I'm working on

Yes and no. I'll be up a while longer. No reason to go to bed anyway.

member 116861

I won't be going to bed for a while either. Debating whether I should study, play EHM, or begin watching Orange is the New Black.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
4 am done with my paper. Going to try and sleep for a couple hours then edit it with a clear mind.

God damn Russia and Ukraine are so complicated. Why did I choose this subject :laugh:

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I know a few teachers, it's not easy. They spend a ton of time unpaid outside of the classroom doing work and preparing for class time, spending their own money on top of it. Then they have to be babysitters and therapists all the while dealing with parents, administrators and the system. Then at the end of the day nobody cares what they do because all the parent care about is their kids getting good grades/passing and the administration only cares about test scores.

Someone gets it. :handclap:

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Just curious, what does everyone where do/study?

I'm a bachelor of science (economics and business administration).
Starting to write my master's thesis next fall so hopefully I will have a better degree in the summer of '16.

Oh and Risto, nice to hear someone studying that. We really need more qualified people to work with kids and with old people.
Also, which cartoons did I miss in my GDTs? You never replied then.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Probably not a good sign I had to check the URL of that image, and I'm still not sure if that's from TMNT.

Didn't watch that all. :laugh:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I think the Bible voices a valid concern in stating: "Thou shalt not slather things with caramel sauce."

I had some dessert.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Then don't become a teacher, simple as that.

History bores the **** out of me.
I gotta highly disagree with this. The textbooks are pretty dull, but when I took History classes during my Bachelors, I loved every second of it. Especially the discussions with the teachers and classmates. I also took some economic classes, and those were, the single most.....dull-dreadful-boring-crap I have ever had the pleasure of taking with my time on this Earth. :laugh: I consider you a warrior JWK.

Last edited:

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Then don't become a teacher, simple as that.

This is precisely why there is a major shortage of teachers in the U.S. - anyone can look at the pro/con balance sheet and immediately see that the cons vastly outweigh the pros unless teaching is so much your dream/passion that that single pro outweighs any potential con. And we haven't even gotten into how pathetic teacher salaries are. Teachers are right up there with police officers in terms of most underappreciated jobs. And of course, when you can't attract good candidates to teaching, guess what happens: quality of education decreases, surprise surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad