The Athletic: Zone Exits and the Neutral Zone Mess in Detroit

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Yeah, I’ve been saying this for five years. Our forwards are a pretty good group. Not super great, but it’s a pretty good group, but we have no blue line to get them the puck. It puts way too much pressure on the forwards to enter the offensive zone.

Reactions: aar000n

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Yeah, I’ve been saying this for five years. Our forwards are a pretty good group. Not super great, but it’s a pretty good group, but we have no blue line to get them the puck. It puts way too much pressure on the forwards to enter the offensive zone.

But even at forward, we have two guys with good passing ability. Zetterberg and Nyquist.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
But even at forward, we have two guys with good passing ability. Zetterberg and Nyquist.

Yeah, but that's only a part of the problem. The forwards do all the heavy lifting into the neutral zone through the offensive zone, because the defensemen are possession disasters and can't move the damn puck.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Skating and passing. Name someone like Dennis Cholowski. Or Saarijärvi. Or many ot these guys from 2017 draft. They fit on the bill.

They are doing the right moves on drafting. We just have to wait those dinosarus die first and kids mature. Where is the meteor?

I don’t think anyone from last year is exceptional in that regard. Should be drafting prospects like Hronek and Saarijarvi every year. Just bc we have a few doesn’t mean we are set. Especially when have only 1 guy on our NHL roster who can move the puck worth a f***.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don’t think anyone from last year is exceptional in that regard. Should be drafting prospects like Hronek and Saarijarvi every year. Just bc we have a few doesn’t mean we are set. Especially when have only 1 guy on our NHL roster who can move the puck worth a ****.

Who is a pending UFA that we hope to trade in season... Oh boy that hurts.

Trading Green is the right move, just saying we think this team is hard to watch now, I cannot imagine them in March. Sure we will be excited to see some of the kids get looks, but my God are we going to be pinned in our zone even more.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Who is a pending UFA that we hope to trade in season... Oh boy that hurts.

Trading Green is the right move, just saying we think this team is hard to watch now, I cannot imagine them in March. Sure we will be excited to see some of the kids get looks, but my God are we going to be pinned in our zone even more.

We need to continue to load up. We have taken a step in the right direction with the ‘15 and ‘16 drafts. But I don’t see how you can ever have too many skilled puck movers, and I don’t really care if they are 5’10” or 5’11”. Until the Wings have 2 or 3 guys that excel at moving the puck on the actual team, keep drafting them. Don’t assume you are set until you are. I don’t even see the point of drafting physical or defensive d men anymore, really. You can pick them up for nothing in free agency every year.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
We need to continue to load up. We have taken a step in the right direction with the ‘15 and ‘16 drafts. But I don’t see how you can ever have too many skilled puck movers, and I don’t really care if they are 5’10” or 5’11”. Until the Wings have 2 or 3 guys that excel at moving the puck on the actual team, keep drafting them. Don’t assume you are set until you are. I don’t even see the point of drafting physical or defensive d men anymore, really. You can pick them up for nothing in free agency every year.

exactly. Plus, everyone knows that puck moving defenseman are the most prized type of player in the league. So if you actually have too many of them, you can trade them to fill other holes in your roster like nashville has done

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
I remember a couple years ago when we had 3 or 4 defencemen down and we could not score. This is when we had Yzerman and company. Now we have the same problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad