The Athletic: Zone Exits and the Neutral Zone Mess in Detroit

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
https://theathletic.com/136418/2017...-exits-shows-troubling-trend-with-defensemen/

The neutral zone was a mess for Detroit as it struggled to quickly and efficiently transition the puck from defense to offense. Novet identified Detroit as one of the slowest teams in transitioning from defense to offense, taking nearly seven seconds on average to go from blue line to blue line. However, not every player on the Wings struggled with possession exits and transitional play.

Athanasiou should help. But it won't be enough.

Attachments

• RW-Graphics-3.jpg
    RW-Graphics-3.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 32

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I laughed last night when in the first period the broadcasters said we were a really good transition team and good at moving the puck.

Reactions: Henkka

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Maybe adding defensemen that don't handle the puck like a grenade will help the transition game?

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
Our breakouts have been an issue since Lidstrom, Rafalski, Stuart have all departed.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I agree that AA will help, but the issue is far deeper than one player.

Everything needs to be faster, and I mean everything. Defensemen need to be quicker to pucks and need to be quicker to identify options and make decisions. Forwards need to be quicker to get open (a big issue rarely talked about around here) and our centers needs to be much quicker to read the defensemen.

Once the forecheck is established, we are toast.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Along the same lines, does anyone track icing stats?

There's obviously instances where you're icing the puck on purpose or where it's unavoidable, but it seems like the Wings often ice the puck through miscommunications, bad passes and lazy play.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
A lot of it starts with the fact that when Howard is in net most of the team is below the dots to start the breakout. That right there allows the other team to set up their neutral zone defense and slow/stop the transition. Add to that a defense that doesn't have a lot of great puck movers and that accounts for 99% of it.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I agree that AA will help, but the issue is far deeper than one player.

Everything needs to be faster, and I mean everything. Defensemen need to be quicker to pucks and need to be quicker to identify options and make decisions. Forwards need to be quicker to get open (a big issue rarely talked about around here) and our centers needs to be much quicker to read the defensemen.

Once the forecheck is established, we are toast.

Great analysis guys. I think the ability to handle the puck is what generates the quickness you're mentioning. Eichel can gather in a puck like it's on a string. With Jensen or a lot of our players there'll be a slight bobble, a second touch and bam the forecheckers are breathing down our necks.

A lot of it starts with the fact that when Howard is in net most of the team is below the dots to start the breakout. That right there allows the other team to set up their neutral zone defense and slow/stop the transition. Add to that a defense that doesn't have a lot of great puck movers and that accounts for 99% of it.

So true. I wonder if Howard is the least puck-moving goaltender in the NHL. For whatever reason Mrazek seems to have shied away from getting involved in the breakouts as much as his first season. Definitely has an effect on possession.

Every team is trying to push the pace to break-neck speeds. Without clear lanes the most common play is to have the forwards fly the zone while the defense instantly dump the puck up ice. Off the glass, to an open side, lifting it to an area has become so standard it's pretty monotonous. When they're under pressure most D anymore barely even look, just throw it up ice and let the forwards gain control. The problem with the Wings is our forwards lose the majority of those 50/50 battles. The same is true along the boards in the defensive zone. I think that's the reason we employ a d&c strategy- it's a small miracle if we even get the puck over the red line. :shakehead

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The game today is too fast to have players make a ton of decisions in the moment. The system should make decisions for players. D-men should not have to collect the puck, turn around, look for options, analyze options, then make the decision. A guy like Lidstrom or Karlsson can do that, but a transition can’t only look functional with generational players on the ice. Babcock got better transitions with Ericsson than Blashill gets out of Green. Ottawa without Karlsson plays a faster transition game than we do. It’s amazing watching other teams where a player shoots the puck around the boards and a teammate is there to pick the puck up. There’s no generational skill required, just a functioning and detailed system implemented by a good coach. How often do we pass the puck to a vacant point? How often do we shoot the puck around the boards and lose possession because the forward was expecting a different play? Our system is a mess, no one knows what to do at any given point. It’s like putting a bunch of people on camera without a script and expecting an Oscar winning movie. Unless you have literally the best improv talent in the world you’re going to get garbage results.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This is why I will continue to say with every draft that we should stock up on puck moving D.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I can't read the article but I was saying in the GDT that I've seen better zone exits from drop-in hockey games.

Obviously a big part of it is talent but some of it is system. Their zone exits weren't great but didn't suck this bad under Babcock.

And I've watched a team like the Kings get solid zone exits even from their non-skill guys because they clearly had worked on it and were disciplined. Darryl Sutter must've hammered it into their brains.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The lack of a good breakout is prevalent with both goaltenders. Can you actually demonstrate this major difference in how the two teams breakout with each goaltender?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This is why I will continue to say with every draft that we should stock up on puck moving D.

Skating and passing. Name someone like Dennis Cholowski. Or Saarijärvi. Or many ot these guys from 2017 draft. They fit on the bill.

They are doing the right moves on drafting. We just have to wait those dinosarus die first and kids mature. Where is the meteor?

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
First things first to fixing our break out is subtracting Kronwall and Big rig! I know they have done well for us but the time is long past. Big E hears a fore checker he just throws the puck as fast as he can then falls down. Poor old Kronwall just cant move any more. Our D can not move forward with these 2 here still.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
There was a kid Nashville drafted last year -- David Farance.
He was a pretty well known commodity. Smallish. Fast. Skilled.
He slips to 92nd overall.
Super impressive at the WJ Showcase at Plymouth.
Lindstrom. Kotkansalo. Both guys are slow and not very skilled.

I really don't understand how we draft 4 third rounders before Farance, who I think will probably be the next Nashville defenseman who comes out of nowhere to be a contributor on their bluelinee.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Easiest way if there was a marked difference is GF/G between the goalies...
I am surprised for the number of seasons the goaltenders have been around we haven't seen anyone actually demonstrate the defensive zone breakout when the respective goaltenders are on the ice. If this exists it should show up in more than "well goals are scored more often with x than y."

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
There was a kid Nashville drafted last year -- David Farance.
He was a pretty well known commodity. Smallish. Fast. Skilled.
He slips to 92nd overall.
Super impressive at the WJ Showcase at Plymouth.
Lindstrom. Kotkansalo. Both guys are slow and not very skilled.

I really don't understand how we draft 4 third rounders before Farance, who I think will probably be the next Nashville defenseman who comes out of nowhere to be a contributor on their bluelinee.
He's a fine skater

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Didn't read the article so maybe this is off topic, but it annoys me so much that they try that power play neutral zone drop pass to the (obvious) late man, when it has NEVER worked consistently with anyone but Datsyuk - who had the hands, playmaking, and respect of the D to pull it off.

Currently, Larkin is "okay" at it this year, but when they try with Nyquist or anyone else it's consistently a disaster and just an obviously failed strategy - can't believe they are still doing it this year.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Not according to what I've read.
He didn't show much at the WJ Showcase, either
His speed and recovery are good. He's working on his lateral movement the most this season. Kind of the opposite of lindstrom, who has less speed but pretty good lateral movement. I'm not concerned with Kasper's skating, if you watch him you can tell he's a good skater, just needs to sharpen up a little bit.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
No one knows where to be or where their teammates are supposed to be in all zones of the rink, but especially in the D zone. How many times have you seen 4 skaters stand and watch their defenseman collect the pick below the goal line, get pressured, and eventually turning the puck over because he had no options... Because everyone was standing there watching him get double teamed or skating furiously for the other blue line expecting a magical blind behind the back backhand saucer pass to hit them mid-stride?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad