News Article: The Athletic: Mitch Marner's re-emergence alongside Nazem Kadri makes the Leafs scary again

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The drawback, of course, to playing Marner with Kadri is that van Riemsdyk and Bozak suffer some offensively. Van Riemsdyk scored his 22nd of the year on the power play against Ottawa, but has only four even-strength points in the last 17 games and two since Connor Brown took the spot vacated by Marner.

Mitch Marner's re-emergence alongside Nazem Kadri makes the...

If you haven't subscribed to the Athletic, I recommend it, I never imagined paying for this stuff but it's been very enjoyable. Some pretty interesting analysis and since I can't share the entire article, this part stuck out to me.

If Bozak can't drive the play more and be more of a threat then that is something to consider moving forward, although it's doubtful at this time we can do anything to address it. Still, I feel good about lines 1,2 and 4.

Reactions: The Cobra

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
it was definitely a completely dominant night for them, and it was about time to move Komarov away. Bozak and JVR are still a pretty underwhelming duo

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
It's as if the fans knew what they were talking about. Crazy. For our next trick we'll keep Roman Polak in the press box and keep Komarov on the fourth line!

Fans are too quick to react, though. It's up to the professionals to know when they have enough information to support a move, and that's the jungle Babcock et al. are navigating as they make these moves.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Fans are too quick to react, though. It's up to the professionals to know when they have enough information to support a move, and that's the jungle Babcock et al. are navigating as they make these moves.

I agree that we can be a bit knee jerky but I think Babcock really lagged on some of the changes. The Polak thing still hasn't sunk in 100% I don't think.

That being said, Marleau-Kadri-Marner is a heck of a line. Super fun to watch, and it's easy to shut down the other team's line when you're torching them.

Although the article has stated that Matthews has been given that privilege lately. I don't mind that move for the next little while. Matthews is likely to go head to head in the play-offs and he is going to learn how to come out ahead in match ups against the likes of Bergeron. They are hard match ups that will frustrate him but as he wins those match ups, it only makes us a more dangerous team.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
But it's not about being quick to judge. We've seen Roman Polak play meaningful minutes. We've seen Komarov start OT, be on the PP and play in the top 6. We've seen Zach Hyman play beside Matthews for every single game of Matthews' career thus far. Babcock isn't a genius. He's stubborn and quite frankly, the media and fans seem to know better than he does when it comes to lineups and roster management. I'm not saying he can't coach, he's a great coach structurally, but he's absolutely lost when it comes to what actually benefits the team. It takes him far too long to figure out that Polak is a #7 D, that Komarov is a fourth line player whos minutes should be cut in half, that Marner needed to be put on the Kadri line, that Kapanen is much more effectivethan Matt Martin. The only thing he hasn't figured out yet is taking Hyman off the first line. The fact that he hasn't even tried it for ONE game should tell you something. It's as if Carlyle is still here sometimes. One thing all those guys have in common is that they're all physical, low talent players. And he loves them.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I agree that we can be a bit knee jerky but I think Babcock really lagged on some of the changes. The Polak thing still hasn't sunk in 100% I don't think.

That being said, Marleau-Kadri-Marner is a heck of a line. Super fun to watch, and it's easy to shut down the other team's line when you're torching them.

Although the article has stated that Matthews has been given that privilege lately. I don't mind that move for the next little while. Matthews is likely to go head to head in the play-offs and he is going to learn how to come out ahead in match ups against the likes of Bergeron. They are hard match ups that will frustrate him but as he wins those match ups, it only makes us a more dangerous team.

It's easy to become vocal about how long it's taken Babs to make some changes when Marner jumps on Kadri's line and gets hot. But at the same time we have to acknowledge that the line isn't as good as it looks the last few games, and with Komarov it isn't as bad as it looked either. Players and lines will go through slumps and hot stretches and from one game to the next it can change dramatically. JVR/Bozak/Marner was just as hot as one point, then severely cooled down for a stretch and a change was needed.

When you make a change to a line that is doing some things great and other things poorly (e.g., Kadri line wasn't scoring but they were still a strong matchup line with Komarov on it), you're taking a risk that you're going to reduce their effectiveness in what they were doing well and not having a substantial impact on what they were doing poorly. I think it's worth letting it continue to be an effective matchup line for a stretch of games to see if the offense can pick back up, even if all the fans are noticing is the offense.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
But it's not about being quick to judge. We've seen Roman Polak play meaningful minutes. We've seen Komarov start OT, be on the PP and play in the top 6. We've seen Zach Hyman play beside Matthews for every single game of Matthews' career thus far. Babcock isn't a genius. He's stubborn and quite frankly, the media and fans seem to know better than he does when it comes to lineups and roster management. I'm not saying he can't coach, he's a great coach structurally, but he's absolutely lost when it comes to what actually benefits the team. It takes him far too long to figure out that Polak is a #7 D, that Komarov is a fourth line player whos minutes should be cut in half, that Marner needed to be put on the Kadri line, that Kapanen is much more effectivethan Matt Martin. The only thing he hasn't figured out yet is taking Hyman off the first line. The fact that he hasn't even tried it for ONE game should tell you something. It's as if Carlyle is still here sometimes. One thing all those guys have in common is that they're all physical, low talent players. And he loves them.

Yea man you're such a legendary coach.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Marner was flying last night with some pretty goals. Also set up Kadri and Marleau a few times.

Kapanen will find his way onto the Bozak line pretty soon. Brown always works hard, but that speed would do wonders on that line.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Another plus, we don’t have to hear the word “sheltered” anymore for Marner, it was his two linemates, who’ve been “sheltered” for years, prior to and after Mitch...again last night those two lead the team in offensive zone starts. Marner seems to be doing just fine against tougher matchups, having linemates helps.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Right now we've got two quality 1st lines, a legit 2/3 line, and a useful 4th line. The defense corps has two top-15 defense scorers and features 3 pairings that can move the puck by rushing it or with an outlet. The goalie is a legit Vezina candidate whose puck playing abilities are not only safe but the kind that consistently lead to breakouts and offense. There's also that coach.

When was the last time we had it this good? The Pat Quinn era?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Let's not forget they beat the Ottawa Senators, the same Sens that smothered us the first game we played this season. Clear to me that Mitch can dominate against teams that are willing to free wheel against us. Need to see him do this against the big boys.

Reactions: Critical

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
lol maybe, my theory is Babs' wife laced into him about his stubborness, and so he had to give it a try.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden

Babcock is stubborn. But there's a method to his decisions. And its not just him calling all the shots.

Name 3 coaches you wo7ld prefer the leafs to be coached by. Id like to know given your disdain for babcock.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Let’s not pretend like you’re here to consider other perspectives.
I suggest he, and other fans are sick of the Bobcat can't be wrong or criticized. I'll accept he is a wizard of a couch. His main flaw is his stubborness in the selection and deployment of players.
Well, lets look at his history, did he ever exhibit this trait in Detroit? Hell yes! Exactly the same issues accroding to the fans.
So why should we cut him slack on this point?
If the emperor has not clothes, he has no clothes.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
it was definitely a completely dominant night for them, and it was about time to move Komarov away. Bozak and JVR are still a pretty underwhelming duo

Well, Bozak, JVR and Komarov won't be the Leafs next year. Time to move on from those guys....although they have been fine players for the Leafs for years. I'm looking forward to the Kapanem, Johnson and others being important forwards though gotta find the unknown centre to replace Bozak.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Babcock is stubborn. But there's a method to his decisions. And its not just him calling all the shots.

Name 3 coaches you wo7ld prefer the leafs to be coached by. Id like to know given your disdain for babcock.
Not disdain, reasoned and logical criticism of a glaring flaw he also exhibited in Detroit.
Quenneville, Laviolette, Sullivan are all good coaches as well.
Not saying to dump Babcock, just stop drinking the Kool-aid.

Reactions: david999

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Well, Bozak, JVR and Komarov won't be the Leafs next year. Time to move on from those guys....although they have been fine players for the Leafs for years. I'm looking forward to the Kapanem, Johnson and others being important forwards though gotta find the unknown centre to replace Bozak.
I think there is a chance we will re-sign JVR. Dumping Martin, Lupul off the books, Kommy either gone or signed cheap, Bozzie gone, Polak gone, all of that frees up some cash.
Wouldn't be shocked to see JVR signed.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I suggest he, and other fans are sick of the Bobcat can't be wrong or criticized. I'll accept he is a wizard of a couch. His main flaw is his stubborness in the selection and deployment of players.
Well, lets look at his history, did he ever exhibit this trait in Detroit? Hell yes! Exactly the same issues accroding to the fans.
So why should we cut him slack on this point?
If the emperor has not clothes, he has no clothes.

What fans project as "stubbornness" is more likely "patience" and having more information and responsibility with which to make decisions. Fans for over a decade drooled over the Wings' prospect development strategy that was based on... wait for it... patience and process.

So of course a frustrated fan will lash out and demean a, as you put it, wizard of a coach, by just referring to it as a character flaw. Unfortunately, many fans need to coexist with other fans who are not knowledgable enough to consider they are unknowledgeable. It wouldn't be so bad if they'd stop @'ing me with nonsensical evaluations of the character of one of the best coaches of our generation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad