News Article: The Athletic: Inside story on 2018 draft's top 10

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I am probably remembering the DET version of Rafalski. That might be one. But Rafalski was listed at 190, and Hughes is listed at 170. So he might have to put on some weight to get to that kind of level.

The guy I was thinking of is Ryan Ellis, who can legitimately handle tough assignments as a small guy. But he is a hell of a lot more physical and gritty than Hughes is.

He also spent his 20-21 year old split between Milwaukee and Nashville, spent his 21-22 year old seasons split between Milwaukee and Nashville, spent his next season predominantly on the bottom pairing. split his next season between the bottom pair and second pair then elevated into that top 4 role permanently. So yeah Hughes has approximately four seasons to start meeting your expectation. I also think he starts this journey as a far better defensive player than Ryan Ellis. Honestly I expect him to be better in his own zone because of the way he gaps up and uses his skating to close and angle guys off. You are already seeing that in year 1. He doesn't need to be gritty, he needs to play his game and limit chances. He does that by controlling the play and by quickly averting danger in his own end once he retrieves the puck or scrambles the puck free.My guess is in the player polls you're about to start hearing how hard he is to forecheck soon from guys around the league. It isn't that don't want to or aren't trying to he just doesn't let it happen often.

I am sure he will have moments where guys take advantage of his size. I don't think they are going to be regular occasions, no more than other slight guys that yes also get taken advantage of from time to time. Quinn Hughes is winning more often than he is not in those because he is smarter and faster than the dude challenging him.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I am probably remembering the DET version of Rafalski. That might be one. But Rafalski was listed at 190, and Hughes is listed at 170. So he might have to put on some weight to get to that kind of level.

The guy I was thinking of is Ryan Ellis, who can legitimately handle tough assignments as a small guy. But he is a hell of a lot more physical and gritty than Hughes is.

I'm not sure the New Jersey Rafalski was a guy you really wanted out there defending a lead either. They were some of the best defensive teams of all time but his partner Stevens for a lot of that time was one of the greatest dmen of all time (probably top 10ish) and as far as defensive play goes hes likely closer to top 5 all time. Even playing with Lidstrom the defensive short comings were fairly obvious at times. He still was an amazing dman but defense not his forte.

I also am not sure that Ellis and Rafalski dont have a couple inches on Hughes. f Hughes was a legit 5'10, I think he would've got meaured at the combine because some people were saying he was 5'7 or 5'8. If he was a legit 5'10 he would've measured and put those rumours to bed I think.

I think Hughes becomes a top PP guy in the league and a legit first pairing offensive guy like Rafalski did. But franchise calibre I just dont see at his size and defensive play. I could be wrong though

Reactions: Winger98

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The one thing that really stands out from the article is how well the Canucks have drafted. In the 2017 draft where Nolan Patrick went second overall they had Cale Makar and Elias Petersson at the top of their draft board. Look at their recent history:

2018: Hughes - on pace for 60 points in his rookie year
2017: Petersson - on pace for 80 points in his sophomore year
2015: Boeser - on pace for 70 points
2013: Horvat - on pace for 70 points

I'm hoping Yzerman and his scouting staff can draft more productive players than we have in the past 20 or so years.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
The one thing that really stands out from the article is how well the Canucks have drafted. In the 2017 draft where Nolan Patrick went second overall they had Cale Makar and Elias Petersson at the top of their draft board. Look at their recent history:

2018: Hughes - on pace for 60 points in his rookie year
2017: Petersson - on pace for 80 points in his sophomore year
2015: Boeser - on pace for 70 points
2013: Horvat - on pace for 70 points

I'm hoping Yzerman and his scouting staff can draft more productive players than we have in the past 20 or so years.
The other impressive thing is how emphatic Vancouver was about Pettersson and Hughes. They didn't just take players that exceeded expectations, they really might have expected them to be this good.

To be honest, based on his time in Tampa, hitting on our early picks may not be the best expectation for Yzerman. I think he'll draft well, but we shouldn't be surprised if half of our 1sts don't live up but we get a steal in the second every other year to compensate.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00