News Article: The Athletic: Inside story on 2018 draft's top 10

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Holland said they would have if Zadina didn’t fall. I think he is being honest, personally.

I'm glad that they didn't. Not a super prospect maven, but the highlights and such I saw of Bouchard did not impress me. Too msny of his looked like he'd be blown up at the NHL or the play would be blown up at the NHL level. Not ilke how Blash was saying Hughes's explosiveness was NHL level right now.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm not sold Hughes is a franchise defenseman just yet like the article suggests, but I thought it was interesting to get a glimpse at the decision-making and how it differs by team.

Seems like Arizona and Montreal prioritized position with their picks. Others go strictly BPA. Then in our case, we went BPA, but had we not it seems like we wanted a specific kind of defenseman given what we already had in the system. So there are a lot of different things that play into who gets picked.

I like these kind of articles that let us see some behind the scenes info like this.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
I would take Kotkaniemi at 6th if Montreal did not pick him. We would finally have good 3rd line center.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
This is why I like that we do a thread every year where we ask people who they would have picked.

I would have went Dobson in 18 and Cozens in 19 based on those threads. We will see if that’s any better than what we actually did. Cozens and Zadina are both scorers. Seider and Dobson are both big RHD that should eat a lot of minutes. We both prioritized similar things, but went with different guys.

I was still just a lurker for the previous two drafts so, pre draft I would have Dobson and zegras right now. (Though I never would have thought zadina would have fallen)

I think I’m happy Yzerman is drafting. At this point there’s no way in hell I trade Seider and Zadina for Dobson and Zegras. (Though things can change.)

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm not sold Hughes is a franchise defenseman just yet like the article suggests

I'm sold, but I've been fooled before. I genuinely thought Niskanen was a lock to be a franchise defender for Dallas. The guys with better offensive upside seem to bloom much faster but don't always reach the same heights as their contemporaries. I know traditional wisdom has often argued the contrary, but I'm not sure that holds in the current NHL. Skating and puck skills are more important than ever.

But on the flip side you have a guy like Brodin who many of us thought would continue to round out his overall game and chip in more offense. And he's fine. Just fine. Not the next Suter.

But these days if I see someone with the ability to be smart with the puck, use his feet to close gaps, and hit some stretch passes... I don't care if he's built like Kevin Hart, that's an NHL defender that can help you.

Reactions: RedMenace

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Yeah, the article also says we were going into the draft expecting to draft a defenseman. I think Bouchard really was the guy, I do not think that was a smokescreen at all by the Detroit media. Interesting that Holland was able to end up having him on his team regardless.

I’ve been told that Dobson was our guy until Zadina started falling.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I’ve been told that Dobson was our guy until Zadina started falling.

Who told you this if you can say? St James and Khan both came out and said post draft it would've been Bouchard had Zadina not fallen.

And @Frk It I agree on Hughes. This article is calling Hughes a franchise guy way too quickly. Hes obviously going to be a great offensive dman but I dont foresee him ever becoming a guy you want defending a lead late in a game 7. When trying to name number one/franchise type D I try to see if I would want them out there when down by a goal in a game 7 or when up by a goal in a game 7 and if they check both boxes theyre usually a franchise D. I dont think Hughes will get there defensively

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Quinn Hughes is an exciting dynamic player, but unless his skill keeps on increasing significantly, I just can't see him a franchise D. I can easily visualise him getting maimed by a Matthew Tkachuk in the playoffs when the refs suddenly stop noticing those late 90s style plays that slow people down. I also just don't think he's good enough in his own zone. Yes, he's exciting and has gaudy points totals, but Vancouver has scored 50+ more goals than Detroit and has a power play 10% better than Detroit. I think Quinn Hughes on the current Red Wings is a very different player in terms of impact.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'm not sold Hughes is a franchise defenseman just yet like the article suggests, but I thought it was interesting to get a glimpse at the decision-making and how it differs by team.

Seems like Arizona and Montreal prioritized position with their picks. Others go strictly BPA. Then in our case, we went BPA, but had we not it seems like we wanted a specific kind of defenseman given what we already had in the system. So there are a lot of different things that play into who gets picked.

I like these kind of articles that let us see some behind the scenes info like this.
He's looking like a rich man's Brian Rafalski. Pair him with Seider and then use Hronek in that #3 role that Kronner held down and the defense is looking really good for the next 10 or so years.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
He's looking like a rich man's Brian Rafalski. Pair him with Seider and then use Hronek in that #3 role that Kronner held down and the defense is looking really good for the next 10 or so years.

boy, he would be a nice fit next to Seider. Very complimentary playing styles. Makes me want drysdale a little more lol

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
This is why I like that we do a thread every year where we ask people who they would have picked.

I would have went Dobson in 18 and Cozens in 19 based on those threads. We will see if that’s any better than what we actually did. Cozens and Zadina are both scorers. Seider and Dobson are both big RHD that should eat a lot of minutes. We both prioritized similar things, but went with different guys.

Those are my picks.
Dobson 18.
Cozens 19.
But I would have gone with Hughes, Boqvist or Bouchard.
And last year, Zegras.

But I like the idea of a 6'3, big right-handed centerman with skill. A lot.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I'm sold, but I've been fooled before. I genuinely thought Niskanen was a lock to be a franchise defender for Dallas. The guys with better offensive upside seem to bloom much faster but don't always reach the same heights as their contemporaries. I know traditional wisdom has often argued the contrary, but I'm not sure that holds in the current NHL. Skating and puck skills are more important than ever.

But on the flip side you have a guy like Brodin who many of us thought would continue to round out his overall game and chip in more offense. And he's fine. Just fine. Not the next Suter.

But these days if I see someone with the ability to be smart with the puck, use his feet to close gaps, and hit some stretch passes... I don't care if he's built like Kevin Hart, that's an NHL defender that can help you.

Quinn Hughes is a excellent player, but he doesn't play on the PK. At all. Maybe he will in the future someday, but I don't see how he'd be as effective bogged down in his own zone, clearing the front of the net, and trying to chip the puck out. He's in a great situation in Vancouver for sure.

At the end of the day a contender still needs a guy you can play in all situations that gets 27+ minutes a night. Someone who's first over the boards on the PP and PK. There are very few of them in the league. I think Seider has a chance to become one.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Remember how much hype Ghost had when he burst onto the scene? I was largely on that hype train. Then I watched him get chewed up against Pittsburgh in the playoffs, and he has struggled since.

Who is a guy that is the size of Quinn Hughes that we have seen be able to defend other team's top lines in crucial situations in a playoff series? Until I see him do it, I am going to reserve judgement a little bit on "franchise defenseman." I have no doubt he will put up a ton of points and be a fun player to watch during his career. He would have for sure provided us value if we drafted him. But I think it is premature to anoint him a "franchise defenseman" right now.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Remember how much hype Ghost had when he burst onto the scene? I was largely on that hype train. Then I watched him get chewed up against Pittsburgh in the playoffs, and he has struggled since.

Who is a guy that is the size of Quinn Hughes that we have seen be able to defend other team's top lines in crucial situations in a playoff series? Until I see him do it, I am going to reserve judgement a little bit on "franchise defenseman." I have no doubt he will put up a ton of points and be a fun player to watch during his career. He would have for sure provided us value if we drafted him. But I think it is premature to anoint him a "franchise defenseman" right now.
Absolutely agreed.

Personally I like Seider a lot better than Dobson/Bouchard. And I think he has potential to be more valuable overall in the long run than Hughes due to his size, defense and physicality. So I'm pretty happy with how it all has turned out so far.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Rafalski immediately comes to mind.

I loved Raffy... but not sure you could say he was ever more than “passable” in his own end, and playing alongside one of the best ever really helped his cause or I think he gets exposed there.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I loved Raffy... but not sure you could say he was ever more than “passable” in his own end, and playing alongside one of the best ever really helped his cause or I think he gets exposed there.

He had plenty of success of the top pairing in NJ, too. I'm not going to hold him having good partners against him, he still pulled his weight.

I also think Rafalski is actually far more suited for the current NHL than the era he played in. A testament to how great he was, I believe.

Reactions: Electric Eric

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Who told you this if you can say? St James and Khan both came out and said post draft it would've been Bouchard had Zadina not fallen.

And @Frk It I agree on Hughes. This article is calling Hughes a franchise guy way too quickly. Hes obviously going to be a great offensive dman but I dont foresee him ever becoming a guy you want defending a lead late in a game 7. When trying to name number one/franchise type D I try to see if I would want them out there when down by a goal in a game 7 or when up by a goal in a game 7 and if they check both boxes theyre usually a franchise D. I dont think Hughes will get there defensively

I'd rather not be too specific but from my information that I would consider reliable Dobson was actually told he was the target.

Apologies for not being more specific. Make of it what you will.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He had plenty of success of the top pairing in NJ, too. I'm not going to hold him having good partners against him, he still pulled his weight.

I also think Rafalski is actually far more suited for the current NHL than the era he played in. A testament to how great he was, I believe.

I am probably remembering the DET version of Rafalski. That might be one. But Rafalski was listed at 190, and Hughes is listed at 170. So he might have to put on some weight to get to that kind of level.

The guy I was thinking of is Ryan Ellis, who can legitimately handle tough assignments as a small guy. But he is a hell of a lot more physical and gritty than Hughes is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad