News Article: The Athletic: Inside story on 2018 draft's top 10

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This is a paywall article, so I will try to provide enough information to have a discussion without revealing too much.

Basically the article gives some background behind each team's decision-making progress in the draft. I thought it was very revealing and worth a discussion, since it reveals things about each teams and we can get a glimpse at that process.

Here is what I was surprised to see about Detroit in that draft:
As for the defence options, Holland said that the Red Wings were targeting one of Dobson, Boqvist, Bouchard and Hughes, but wouldn’t confirm which one of the four. That said, what we do know is that Hughes wasn’t their top choice for a defenceman, meaning the Red Wings wouldn’t have taken Hughes even if Zadina was already off the board. In fact, Quinn was on a Detroit radio station in November and said that his agent, Pat Brisson, informed him a couple of days before the draft that the Red Wings weren’t taking him.
Article says Bouchard/Dobson were the guys Detroit liked best, due to having a number of undersized defenseman in the system already in Hronek/Saarijarvi etc. I think that kind of makes sense, and gives you an idea that a lot of how teams draft comes down to fit and not necessarily just identifying BPA. Although maybe in this case it should have been more about BPA? Guess that is what is up for discussion here.

Article: 'That was a home run': The inside story of how Quinn Hughes...

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
This is a paywall article, so I will try to provide enough information to have a discussion without revealing too much.

Basically the article gives some background behind each team's decision-making progress in the draft. I thought it was very revealing and worth a discussion, since it reveals things about each teams and we can get a glimpse at that process.

Article says Bouchard/Dobson were the guys Detroit liked best, due to having a number of undersized defenseman in the system already in Hronek/Saarijarvi etc.

This is exactly what HSJ and Khan were saying leading up to the draft. Holland’s transparency with the media was certainly next level.

Reactions: NotLeddy

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This is exactly what HSJ and Khan were saying leading up to the draft. Holland’s transparency with the media was certainly next level.

Yeah, the article also says we were going into the draft expecting to draft a defenseman. I think Bouchard really was the guy, I do not think that was a smokescreen at all by the Detroit media. Interesting that Holland was able to end up having him on his team regardless.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I really liked Dobson as the D choice that draft. I still think he will be the best pick in the end.
Also almost everyone on this board was counting their lucky stars that Zadina was still available, so we would have selected Zadina as well.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019

Article says Bouchard/Dobson were the guys Detroit liked best, due to having a number of undersized defenseman in the system already in Hronek/Saarijarvi etc. I think that kind of makes sense, and gives you an idea that a lot of how teams draft comes down to fit and not necessarily just identifying BPA. Although maybe in this case it should have been more about BPA? Guess that is what is up for discussion here.

I do miss how vocal Holland was. He was always one of the most prominent GM’s in articles like this. You always knew his thought process. Kind of funny that he ended up with his guy in Edmonton. Lol

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I really liked Dobson as the D choice that draft. I still think he will be the best pick in the end.
Also almost everyone on this board was counting their lucky stars that Zadina was still available, so we would have selected Zadina as well.

I had Zadina ranked 3 and Dobson ranked 4 that year, but said I would have gone with Dobson under the gun due to needing a defenseman more at the time.

I would be bummed about not having Dobson... but I actually think Seider excels a lot at in the areas that I liked Dobson, so that makes me feel a bit better about things.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Dobson going last of that group of defensemen in reality was such a nice feeling of vindication

i'll never understand how nuts this forum went for that guy

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Have you tracked him at all since being drafted? Because I am not sure you should feel too vindicated.

not really no

we'll see how they turn out long term but I don't think any of those 4 outside of maybe Hughes have really proven enough relative to each other to say much yet

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
not really no

maxresdefault.jpg

Dobson! We got Dobson over here! Nobody cares.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Not surprising that we wouldn't have taken Hughes especially after HSJ made it known how high the Wings were on Bouchard.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Yeah, the article also says we were going into the draft expecting to draft a defenseman. I think Bouchard really was the guy, I do not think that was a smokescreen at all by the Detroit media. Interesting that Holland was able to end up having him on his team regardless.

When we took Zadina Brian Burke was on Sportsnet talking about how Holland told him that morning that we were taking a D.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Still would have taken one of the D over Zadina.
And then gone forward in 2019.

Reactions: Crunchy

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Yep.

That how I'm playing poker. Never show my real cards.

I didn’t take it as him bluffing. I think Ken was honest, but he never anticipated Zadina falling. It’s very likely he woke up the morning of the draft expecting Bouchard to be the pick.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Still would have taken one of the D over Zadina.
And then gone forward in 2019.

This is why I like that we do a thread every year where we ask people who they would have picked.

I would have went Dobson in 18 and Cozens in 19 based on those threads. We will see if that’s any better than what we actually did. Cozens and Zadina are both scorers. Seider and Dobson are both big RHD that should eat a lot of minutes. We both prioritized similar things, but went with different guys.

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
This is why I like that we do a thread every year where we ask people who they would have picked.

I would have went Dobson in 18 and Cozens in 19 based on those threads. We will see if that’s any better than what we actually did. Cozens and Zadina are both scorers. Seider and Dobson are both big RHD that should eat a lot of minutes. We both prioritized similar things, but went with different guys.
Could have been Hughes and Zegras as well. I would have personally went with Dobson and Cozens IF we didn't chose Zadina and Seider. In the end I am pretty happy with Zadina and Seider.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Could have been Hughes and Zegras as well. I would have personally went with Dobson and Cozens IF we didn't chose Zadina and Seider. In the end I am pretty happy with Zadina and Seider.

I feel the same way. Could a combo of someone like Dobson and Zegras or Cozens end up better? Maybe but I think value in a trade right now Zadina, Seider is about as good as any combo you can make. I'm not as sold on Hughes though as a lot of people are on here. His advanced stats are solid and his numbers are good but when I watch him play I dont think I see a guy you want in a deep playoff run compared to what Seider is developing into. Especially with Zadina looking so good this year I wouldnt change how the wings did things.

I could be wrong but I dont think theres any glaring misses there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad