Paywall The Athletic article on Jamie Baker

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Once at a place of ‘no hope,’ Sharks broadcaster Jamie...

For this game, on Jan. 31, 2018, he’s clad in a sharp blue suit, orange shirt, patterned tie and austere pocket square. His analysis seems easy, effortless. His demeanor, upbeat.

At the start of the third period, he discusses the superlative play from Sharks goaltender Martin Jones, who held a buzzing Detroit squad scoreless through the first 40 minutes. There is nothing to suggest to viewers — or to those around him — that anything is amiss.

But during the second intermission, Baker made a decision with both urgency and permanence. He pulled out his phone, booked a flight home to California and resumed his day’s work as if nothing was wrong.

In those 20 minutes between periods, Jamie Baker decided to end his life.

Reactions: CrazedZooChimp

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
On a related note, anyone read the article on Ray Emery from a couple weeks ago? Another amazing yet painful story.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Personal news:

As mentioned in the OT thread (I don't subscribe to The Athletic, FWIW), suicidal thoughts hit close to me. When I was a senior in high school, my sister ended her life by overdosing on anti-depressants. She had multiple diagnosed mental disorders. Life at home was very hectic, and a couple of weeks prior to her committing suicide, I committed to go to college over 2500 miles away. I wanted to go really far away from home and "start my life over". It didn't work out, unfortunately (college, that is). My sister was admitted into the hospital several times (and had to stay there for awhile). I kinda knew it was inevitable (her taking her life), but I still feel really guilty about that.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yeah it sucks for anyone who is poor.

Not even about being poor. Some people just don't want to pay for sports articles. Especially since most articles written are just opinion pieces that any one can make by just doing a little bit of research.

Reactions: Frosty415

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Its not about that for me, mental health is a big deal and if we as a society are going to try and be more open and accepting of it we should not be hiding it behind paywalls of any kind.

Agreed 100%

It's also a great advertisement for the site, these are the kinds of articles that might convince me the quality of a site is good enough to be worth paying for. So it's a good business decision as well.

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
The site said I could read the article for free via the app. I was eventually able to, but it was a bit of a hassle. I installed it, but didn't make an account or enter any information. Eventually a mobile push notification came up highlighting the article, and I was able to read the whole thing. Great article that's worth reading and worth the extra effort if you don't want to sign up. Given the focus on mental health, I agree that I wish this article was widely available for everyone to easily read. Glad to hear that Bakes is doing better, and I hope everyone is able to get help that they need.

poppap527

Aug 3, 2006
If you download the Athletic App, you get 3 free articles a month. They usually put out 3 to 5 articles of this quality a month. I don't need to subscribe.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I almost teared up reading that story. It's amazing how much he hid it to keep his professionalism, but it was eating him up inside. I'm so happy he's in a better place now and has the courage to talk about it publicly. What a great read.

Also, there were times when I've criticized Baker for his analysis, mainly that he seemed to talk too much (Like during that game in Ottawa). I apologize for that. Baker automatically gets a free pass from me from now on. Also, for the most part, he is a pretty good color guy, probably better than Ramenda now that we've gotten used to him more.

Last edited:

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
The site said I could read the article for free via the app. I was eventually able to, but it was a bit of a hassle. I installed it, but didn't make an account or enter any information. Eventually a mobile push notification came up highlighting the article, and I was able to read the whole thing. Great article that's worth reading and worth the extra effort if you don't want to sign up. Given the focus on mental health, I agree that I wish this article was widely available for everyone to easily read. Glad to hear that Bakes is doing better, and I hope everyone is able to get help that they need.
I went and did this, man, that was painful to read about him :(

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Personal news:

As mentioned in the OT thread (I don't subscribe to The Athletic, FWIW), suicidal thoughts hit close to me. When I was a senior in high school, my sister ended her life by overdosing on anti-depressants. She had multiple diagnosed mental disorders. Life at home was very hectic, and a couple of weeks prior to her committing suicide, I committed to go to college over 2500 miles away. I wanted to go really far away from home and "start my life over". It didn't work out, unfortunately (college, that is). My sister was admitted into the hospital several times (and had to stay there for awhile). I kinda knew it was inevitable (her taking her life), but I still feel really guilty about that.

I appreciate your honesty. I have no doubt that it is a very hard reality for you.
I commend you for letting out something that most won’t that creates bigger issues.

An equal appreciation to Jamie Baker, he’s shown a side that even people in the spotlight can fall victim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad