Paywall The Athletic article on Jamie Baker

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
What an amazing article, and I'm glad to hear that Baker is doing better. Also, in addition to raising mental health awareness, this story is a big f*** you to the NHL and its idiotic stance on brain trauma and CTE.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Bakes on radio tonight. It was late before article was even referenced.

Couture was post game interviewee and mentioned reading article; Baker thanked him.

And the rest of the post game stuff.

Then Bakes had to read the stars of the game. After reading that he broke down crying giving his words of appreciation for the Sharks organization and it's people for giving him what was needed to get back. Rusanowsky took over and expressed his appreciation/respect to Bakes for getting through what he did.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Bakes on radio tonight. It was late before article was even referenced.

Couture was post game interviewee and mentioned reading article; Baker thanked him.

And the rest of the post game stuff.

Then Bakes had to read the stars of the game. After reading that he broke down crying giving his words of appreciation for the Sharks organization and it's people for giving him what was needed to get back. Rusanowsky took over and expressed his appreciation/respect to Bakes for getting through what he did.

I wish there was a way to get an audio clip of the moment. Would love to hear what Dan had to say about Baker, considering Baker got his start in broadcasting calling the games on the radio.

Reactions: Insignia

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It's pretty strange to me that they didn't unlock this article. Usually for public health type of articles like these, they'll open it up as a freebie.

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
I wish there was a way to get an audio clip of the moment. Would love to hear what Dan had to say about Baker, considering Baker got his start in broadcasting calling the games on the radio.
Same here. I was streaming post-game and my feed cut off a few seconds into this last segment.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
this is the kind of article that should not be behind a paywall
if you download the app you can read it free. that's what i did and i think i'm going to subscribe for a while.
great piece and boy, so happy jamie is doing well.

Insignia

Jan 19, 2010

You can here Logan’s comments at the end here but I would really like to hear the rest.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Woke up to this article this morning.

Very odd timing, as I’m going through my own bout of issues. Absolutely wonderful and inspiring article!

Love me some bakes!

Keep strong, buddy. I've been there too, and while there is no catch-all solution, never give up hope that things will get better, because you will find your solution and they will get better.

Reactions: undercovernerd

ThePlanet

Aug 13, 2008
San Jose
A number of years ago, I had a chance encounter with Baker that left me with a negative impression of him, and to be frank, I've been rather salty.

Sharing his story took an unspeakable amount of courage, and will undoubtedly help a countless number of others. My opinion, and feelings towards him have made a complete 180° turn, and I hope this man remains a Shark for life.

Reactions: NiWa and slocal

Jimmy the Fish

Aug 17, 2004
Sunnyvale, CA
I agree, I don't know much about the Athletic though, I've heard about it here or there.

Looks like I may need to try their trial.

I've been a subscriber since they started. I get that people are hesitant to pay for online content nowadays when there is so much that is free, but honestly, if you can afford it, I highly recommend it. As someone who is old enough to remember the good old days of diligently reading the sports section of newspapers and magazines like Sports Illustrated and Sport, reading The Athletic daily really is like the "good old days". What really set The Athletic apart is that the vast roster of local and national writers they have hired is quite impressive. From a local Bay Area angle, they started with Tim Kawakami and Marcus Thompson, ex-SJ Mercury writers and have a pretty loaded roster of recognizable local writers. Now, say what you will about Kawakami because he is a pretty polarizing figure in Bay Area sports journalism, as the editor in chief of the local branch of The Athletic, he's done a great job of allowing the writers to write interesting, informative and long articles without the shackles of time sensitive deadlines and editorial barriers. Whether you are interested in stats and metrics, human interest stories, analysis of games, whatever, The Athletic has done an unbelievable job of giving subscribers a lot of value for their money. Kevin Kurz, who I know is not terribly popular around here, has actually done a great job as the main Sharks reporter. He's written great analysis on the team this season.

I know this comes across as a paid endorsement, and really it isn't. I've rarely posted on this board even though I've been a member for a while but I thought I'd chime in because a bunch of people have asked whether or not The Athletic is worth it. The Jamie Baker article is just about the best thing The Athletic has published to date, and that kind of quality writing is pretty consistent in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad