3. Mike Sullivan, Penguins - 17.07%

General Manager of the Year
1. Joe Sakic, Avalanche - 39.02%
2. Don Sweeney, Bruins - 12.2%
T-3. Julien Brisebois, Lightning - 9.76%
T-3. Jeff Gorton, Rangers - 9.76%

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Whoa - Hellebuyck with a 92% majority win in the Vezina is shocking to me. I guess his games played really mattered. 58.

I don't think he's a bad choice for the award per se - i'm just shocked he won by so much.

Reactions: Beneven Stanciano

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
Pretty good. I'd say O'Reilly should at least be a Selke finalist, but cant complain too much with the three listed.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Decent sample size
and nice variety of the sample
I'll bet quite a few actually get a vote in the real voting

So much for that Tuuka Rask claim
& so much for the Calder voting not being close.

Last edited:

FanTheFlames

Aug 20, 2017
Id be fine with these rankings and not suprised if thats the way it ends up, but definitely thought Josi and Carlson would be closer together than that more like the Makar/Hughes situation where its like a 55/45 split type of thing.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Does anyone know if these awards will still be handed out (no ceremony, but trophy gets sent via courier, maybe?), or if they will just skip any awards for this season?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
How the f*** is Josi ahead of Carlson for Norris?
Arguments for both sides: Roman Josi vs. John Carlson: Who deserves the Norris Trophy?
Adam Vingan: On Feb. 5, I published a story titled, “Is John Carlson the clear favorite over Roman Josi for the Norris Trophy? Not so fast.” Tarik, I am delighted that most of our colleagues agreed with me.

My argument was that when you look below the surface, Josi is a more complete defenseman than Carlson. I understand the temptation to anoint Carlson as the best defenseman in the league because of his point total, but that does not tell the entire story.

Tarik El-Bashir: Is Josi a more complete defenseman? That’s debatable. What you cannot debate is this: From a points perspective, Carlson is having one of the most dominant seasons that a defenseman has had in a long time. He’s got 75 points, 10 more than Josi, and his 60 assists are fourth in the league, ranking behind dynamic forwards Leon Draisaitl, Connor McDavid and Artemi Panarin. Also, it’s not like Carlson is just feasting on the Capitals’ Alex Ovechkin-led power play. In fact, Carlson is 11th in power-play points

Look, Josi is having a nice season, but Carlson, who was on pace for 89 points when the season was suspended, is having a historic one. The last defensemen to have at least 89 points in a season were Ray Bourque and Sergei Zubov in 1993-94.

AV: In regards to my assertion that Josi is a better all-around defenseman than Carlson, our colleague Dom Luszczyszyn explained it well as part of his recent analysis on the NHL awards:

"The big difference, though, remains on defense, where Josi has had a very strong positive impact, while Carlson has not only been negative but among the league’s worst. What good are all those points if he gives them right back? Carlson’s season has been strong, and he still lands in the top 10 among top-pairing defensemen, but he’s a long way from the value that Josi and others have provided due to his one-dimensional play this season."

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Hellebucyk winning in a landslide surprised me a bit. Thought it would be a little closer.

Everything looks right, no complaints.

I mean the other guys play on teams that really keep the work load easier on the goalie. Halak, who looked like he was done with the Islanders, hasn't been that much worse than Rask. Helly has been doing it alone.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Agree on the Selke voting. Since Cassidy took over Bergeron has been used like a regular #1C instead of his extreme defensive usage under Julien. He should have won more Selke's earlier in his career... especially the one he lost to Toews which was an embarrassing display by the voters... but Couts deserves it this time around.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Whoa - Hellebuyck with a 92% majority win in the Vezina is shocking to me. I guess his games played really mattered. 58.

I don't think he's a bad choice for the award per se - i'm just shocked he won by so much.

Pretty much this and the rest of the awards and heck even the percentages look reasonable here.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Just happy Cirelli is recognized for the Selke.

He is one reason why TB traded JT Miller and it didn't hurt them a single bit.

Trading that 1st rounder for a playoff round that won't happen this year for Coleman hurts but he is still signed for next season and its kinda like playing with house money for TB.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
He is one reason why TB traded JT Miller and it didn't hurt them a single bit.

Trading that 1st rounder for a playoff round that won't happen this year for Coleman hurts but he is still signed for next season and its kinda like playing with house money for TB.
Miller trade had zero to do with Cirelli. Miller was never going to play centre for us, and he wasn't a defensive forward like Cirelli. Cirelli is 50% of the reason we moved Stamkos to wing permanently.

The biggest loss for Tampa this year is the fact the cap won't move. Pretty much seals the deal on losing Cernak.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Had no idea Cirelli was that good. That and I thought Carlson had Norris locked up, guess I gotta pay more attention.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Hard to believe that Carlson has fallen into second place in the Norris discussion. I remember in December, we basically crowned him this year's Norris winner.

Also I understand that Hellebucyk is the clear-cut favourite for the Vezina, but I think Rask should get a lot more consideration.

Crow

May 19, 2014
I’d still give the Norris to Carlsson. I feel like he is being punished for having the season shortened and his totals not being what they would be.

Good work by the athletic though.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad