The Athletic’s NHL Awards For the 2019-20 Season

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
I’d still give the Norris to Carlsson. I feel like he is being punished for having the season shortened and his totals not being what they would be.

Good work by the athletic though.
I'm a Caps fan, Carlson shouldn't win the Norris because he hasn't been good at all defensively this year. For nearly 3 months he's been a pylon and just plagued by giveaways. I don't care how many points he compiled early in the year, that shouldn't win you an award for the best dman.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Miller trade had zero to do with Cirelli. Miller was never going to play centre for us, and he wasn't a defensive forward like Cirelli. Cirelli is 50% of the reason we moved Stamkos to wing permanently.

The biggest loss for Tampa this year is the fact the cap won't move. Pretty much seals the deal on losing Cernak.

sure it did and I said so at the time as Cirelli was an emerging young forward with a much better cap hit plain and simple.

TB had an excess of top 9 forwards at the time and the ability for them to get a top return on an asset they didn't need nor could they afford with the 20-21 signing they required made the deal for them an extremely good one.

Miller has turned out better than expected for the Canucks but they still "overpaid" given the cap circumstances for TB at the time.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Miller trade had zero to do with Cirelli. Miller was never going to play centre for us, and he wasn't a defensive forward like Cirelli. Cirelli is 50% of the reason we moved Stamkos to wing permanently.

The biggest loss for Tampa this year is the fact the cap won't move. Pretty much seals the deal on losing Cernak.

sure it did and I said so at the time as Cirelli was an emerging young forward with a much better cap hit plain and simple.

TB had an excess of top 9 forwards at the time and the ability for them to get a top return on an asset they didn't need nor could they afford with the 20-21 signing they required made the deal for them an extremely good one.

Miller has turned out better than expected for the Canucks but they still "overpaid" given the cap circumstances for TB at the time.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

Just because you said it, doesn't make it right. Miller was simply moved because we needed cap and he didn't have a NTC kicking in until July 1st. It was either move Miller or Gourde and Brisebois chose to move Miller. Mostly because of the return, I am guessing.

Cirelli had nothing the do with making Miller expendable. Tampa was never moving Cirelli, an Entry Level Centre who plays a defensive game with an offensive touch. Yes, Tampa had an excess of top 9 players, but pretty much all of them had NTC clauses and Miller didn't. That is your answer.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Sure it did and I said so at the time as Cirelli was an emerging young forward with a much better cap hit plain and simple.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Sakic dominating was surprising. I respect giving Josi the Norris. Finally making it not just a points race but complete play.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Personally I think Carlson should get the Norris over Josi (I can see both sides though) but it’s pretty good other than that.

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
I wonder if a team that finished first overall has ever not won a single voted-on trophy (ie. not Richard, Jennings, President's, etc.)? I am not saying I don't agree with those votes (although I think Rask deserves to be closer than that), just wondering if that has happened before.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Sure it did and I said so at the time as Cirelli was an emerging young forward with a much better cap hit plain and simple.

Tampa had to get rid of either Gourde or Miller. Cirelli had nothing to do with any of that

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Tampa had to get rid of either Gourde or Miller. Cirelli had nothing to do with any of that

Having a young forward like Cirelli and his contract status surely didn't hurt.

And really you are just guessing that they could have traded anyone in reality, Miller just made the most sense from a need and salary cap perspective.

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
As a caps fan I’m glad that Carlson got pushed out. He has been a black hole the past couple of months and is a big part of the Caps’ struggles in 2020 - especially on the powerless play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad