The Assistant Coaches

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
We indirectly added Kirk Maclean. Dinosaurs behind the bench I tell ya!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'll reserve judgment until I see how the Flames perform. Muller wasn't too popular with Habs fans towards the end but like players, I think coaches need the right fit too.

Reactions: Nanuuk and Fig

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Kirk Muller is a great hockey mind. Great add.

Cail did a really good job with the players he was given IMO. They were really young in comparison with other AHL teams.

Kirk Muller is so great that he coached Carolina to impressive records:

0.544 in 2014-15
0.438 in 2015-16
0.506 in 2016-17

out of playoffs all three years of course, only to be replaced by one Bill Peters.

He should fit right in.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Muller was a pretty miserable head coach. Would be another Ward if Sutter ever missed time.

Shame that Huska is still apparently employed.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
What do you like about him as a coach?

He pretty much sucks at hockey as a head coach.

Always been my opinion that an assistant coach is more about player relations. You need someone more approachable with Sutter in the head coach position. Muller is a great fit for that imo

Wasn't Muller in charge of the Montreal power play when it was absolutely horrible?

When Jordan Weal was their best option as the bumper top circle? Yes that powerplay sucked

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Always been my opinion that an assistant coach is more about player relations. You need someone more approachable with Sutter in the head coach position. Muller is a great fit for that imo

ah just another nice guy :partytime:

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
ah just another nice guy :partytime:

I mean what do you want me to tell you. He’s won a cup as a player, tons of coaching experience and he’s coming in as an assistant and you’re judging him off a few rough years as a head coach?

I agree we should just hire assistant coaches who have won multiple cups as head coaches. I’m sure there are plenty of those available

Because after massive success as a head coach, people tend to revert back to being assistants for less pay and responsibility. Player relations is an important part of an assistant coaches job whether you like it or not

Though you do strike me as the type that wants 3 Mike Keenans behind the bench lol

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I mean what do you want me to tell you. He’s won a cup as a player, tons of coaching experience and he’s coming in as an assistant and you’re judging him off a few rough years as a head coach?

I agree we should just hire assistant coaches who have won multiple cups as head coaches. I’m sure there are plenty of those available

Because after massive success as a head coach, people tend to revert back to being assistants for less pay and responsibility. Player relations is an important part of an assistant coaches job whether you like it or not

Though you do strike me as the type that wants 3 Mike Keenans behind the bench lol
Great player, horrible coach

that’s all I am saying.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Great signing. Sutter and Muller's experience will be needed. Either to get more out of our existing core or to help jell the new one.

It is also succession planning..

I agree with this as well, I could 100% see Muller taking over from Darryl in 2 years time. I think its likely we will have a younger core then as well.

Also I think Muller is just an excellent hockey mind, I know he's extremely well respected in the hockey world and I do not think he has found the right fit for him to this point. I am very happy he is on the Flames, I have wanted him as our coach for many years.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
It’s seems like Ian Clark extended. I think it was @Mobiandi who suggested the Everett silvertips goalie coach. Let’s grab him for the AHL maybe?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It’s seems like Ian Clark extended. I think it was @Mobiandi who suggested the Everett silvertips goalie coach. Let’s grab him for the AHL maybe?
I'm not against the idea, but the Flames do have Thomas Speer in Stockton now, he was just hired 2 years ago and they got him from the USA Hockey where he worked directly with Spencer Knight the two seasons prior to being drafted. Other guys he worked with are Drew DeRider who is the starter for Michigan State, Cameron Rowe, who just had a great Freshman season for Wisconsin and Drew Commesso who had a very good Freshman season at BU.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'm not against the idea, but the Flames do have Thomas Speer in Stockton now, he was just hired 2 years ago and they got him from the USA Hockey where he worked directly with Spencer Knight the two seasons prior to being drafted. Other guys he worked with are Drew DeRider who is the starter for Michigan State, Cameron Rowe, who just had a great Freshman season for Wisconsin and Drew Commesso who had a very good Freshman season at BU.

Damn... either we're on the right path, or something is still seriously wrong in the goalie development that isn't pure goalie coaching. Either way, I'd love if we can find a way to address it so our goalie development isn't so abysmal overall. (Way too much bad luck mixed in with some confusing and questionable paths to fizzling out)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Damn... either we're on the right path, or something is still seriously wrong in the goalie development that isn't pure goalie coaching. Either way, I'd love if we can find a way to address it so our goalie development isn't so abysmal overall. (Way too much bad luck mixed in with some confusing and questionable paths to fizzling out)
Remember Speer has only had 2 (partial) seasons with the Heat. He has only had the chance to work with Gillies (30 games), Zagidulin (36 games), and Sparks (16 games) for more than a handful of games. Gillies was in his final year with the organization and had never been the same after hip surgery and a bunch of personal loss in a short period of time. Zagidulin had a decent rookie season, was terrible this year but 6 games is too small of a sample size, and he was shuffled between the AHL and the taxi squad all year. Sparks is what he is at this point in time, but did improve over his number the previous season.

And in the NHL LaBarbera has only had 1 season. I know Sigalet has been a talking point in the past but lets be honest, he was trying to polish a turd,

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad