The Assistant Coaches

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
So I guess we do have money for coaches? Very interesting. A move like this pushes the chips forward for extending the window, as expected with Sutter.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

I'm a huge Tocchet fan, I even thought he would be a good HC target if we waited until the offseason for a coaching change. If he does come in I think that blows a hole in the theory that ownership wouldn't spend money on a real head coach over Ward and makes it much more likely Treliving just can't find a head coach without them having ties to the team already.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm a huge Tocchet fan, I even thought he would be a good HC target if we waited until the offseason for a coaching change. If he does come in I think that blows a hole in the theory that ownership wouldn't spend money on a real head coach over Ward and makes it much more likely Treliving just can't find a head coach without them having ties to the team already.
How does it blow a hole in that theory when there will be ticket revenue next year? If anything it solidifies it.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Because we still spent money on Sutter this year, looks more like Treliving liked Ward and realized this year that was a massive mistake.
they spent money on Sutter when the year was half over, you're just seeing what you want to see, there was actually a legit rumor (I forget from who) that Ward was hired because he was cheap.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
they spent money on Sutter when the year was half over, you're just seeing what you want to see, there was actually a legit rumor (I forget from who) that Ward was hired because he was cheap.
If Treliving hadn't swung and missed on every coach decision I'd be inclined to believe a rumour but it's just another bad hire.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary

eh looks like he's gonna get the Seattle job.

On the topic of Sutter and Ward though, I recall seeing in Friedman's 31 thoughts that Tre reached out to Sutter after the bubble and when they couldn't come to an agreement they decided to remove the interim tag off Ward, I'll try and find the article if possible.

Reactions: Mazatt and Fig

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Tocchet would be a terrific Huska replacement. Like Muller, mediocre head coach but a solid assistant. Could make acquiring Kessel a possibility too.

But if he does go to Seattle as head coach then lol Krakens

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Im not really myself. The Yotes fans generally really disliked him. His teams play a system, but they have never high levels of success and it’s boring hockey.

However I do respect him and think he would be a good assistant.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
jonathan davis @westcoasthky
Hearing that if Rick Tocchet does not get the @SeattleKraken HC position he could land in Calgary as an assistant

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Im not really myself. The Yotes fans generally really disliked him. His teams play a system, but they have never high levels of success and it’s boring hockey.

However I do respect him and think he would be a good assistant.

I guess huge fan is an over statement. I really liked him as an assistant in Pittsburgh, while this year was a massive disappointment for the Yotes they looked real good in the covid shortened year. While his system is boring I feel like a fair bit of that has to do with the lack of true top end talent on the roster.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
does Sirius NHL Radio and SN960 per his twitter bio
Fair enough, reputable source in some regard then

I don't really know much of Tocchet other than Arizona was renowned for their defense-first system. They did well enough in the covid-shortened year and ended up making it out of the prelims in the bubble.

Ultimately if we're gonna make a run of this with Sutter then I might as well figure that Darryl knows what he's doing lol. And I prefer having some established NHL talent behind the bench in Sutter, Muller and Tocchet than whatever noobs they would otherwise put back there.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Fair enough, reputable source in some regard then

I don't really know much of Tocchet other than Arizona was renowned for their defense-first system. They did well enough in the covid-shortened year and ended up making it out of the prelims in the bubble.

Ultimately if we're gonna make a run of this with Sutter then I might as well figure that Darryl knows what he's doing lol. And I prefer having some established NHL talent behind the bench in Sutter, Muller and Tocchet than whatever noobs they would otherwise put back there.
I find it too difficult to have much of an opinion on any coach other than the head coach.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Treliving's been playing the long game... and he does love his former Yotes
I've never understood the narrative about loving former Coyotes, I can only think of 4 former Coyotes to join us and that includes Maloney. The only of which to be here long-term is Stone. It's not like Sutter who had at least 3 former Sharks on the club in his first season as GM.

That said, it's natural for people to trust those they know. So it's not surprising GMs sign players they are familiar with and repeatedly make trades with GMs they've dealt with before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad