The Art of Custom Made Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapinvert

Feb 25, 2016
And I would wish they have an upload for face scan from there website to the players and an upload for missing player pics too.

Yeah, that would be a great step forward... we definitely need additionnal customization options. I'm big on NHL Legends, but now we can only create legends of the 80's and 90's (and some 70's) as we don't have the option to remove the helmets. I've been hoping for this for years now!

sapinvert

Feb 25, 2016
These are really awesome. Makes me wish that they had a roster share feature even more than I already do.

Yeah...roster sharing would be really nice. I hope they'll finally have it in NHL 20.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Hey awesome to see you put so much time into the player faces. Would you mind sharing some of the formulas you used to create to create them ? I have made a lot of classic rosters on NHL 17 and 18 and I tried my best to make star players look like themselves, but I feel like I fell short on quite a bit. I was more concerned about pumping out as many players as I could so likenesses wasn’t my biggest concern. On NHL 17 I have the all rosters from 05-06 to 95-96 and on NHL 18 I have all roster from 94-95 to 84-85.

Last edited:

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
Amazing work. I did the full 1987 Oilers roster and played a season with them. Gretzky has 97 pts in 45 games.

sapinvert

Feb 25, 2016
amazing work. beezer should have a ohl type cage. you can also use brians pads for the dominator.
I know, but everytime I tried to put the yellow standard CHL mask on Vanbiesbrouck, and then start the game, it automatically changes the cage for a default Panthers mask. I tried with yellow masks from other CHL teams, but it's the same. It's like because the Panthers is an NHL team, the game prevents their goalies from wearing CHL masks, or something. Anyway, I got tired of trying and just left that yellow mask on.

But I did modify his stance. I found he was standing too upright, but Beezer was known for being more crouched on his pads. Here's a new picture of him :
RNFetchBlobTmp_h1xh8uhpjr4rs4nklf45k7.jpg

f16391891dd4a1412c008522f204fc5b.jpg

Attachments

• téléchargement.jpg
    téléchargement.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: Jersey47

sapinvert

Feb 25, 2016
We'd always love to see more
Thanks for wanting more, but that's pretty much all I have done so far. I would love to do more legends from the 50's, 60's or 70's, but we're limited to the fact that we can't remove helmets and to the lack of variety of equipment (vintage goalie masks for example). There's still great players to do though : Turgeon, Leclair, Larmer, Zhamnov, etc. Hopefully other people will pick up from here and share their own creations.

sapinvert

Feb 25, 2016
Hey awesome to see you put so much time into the player faces. Would you mind sharing some of the formulas you used to create to create them ? I have made a lot of classic rosters on NHL 17 and 18 and I tried my best to make star players look like themselves, but I feel like I fell short on quite a bit. I was more concerned about pumping out as many players as I could so likenesses wasn’t my biggest concern. On NHL 17 I have the all rosters from 05-06 to 95-96 and on NHL 18 I have all roster from 94-95 to 84-85.
That is awesome man! Those 20-ish years are like the Golden Era of hockey for me. So many good players! Did you create, let's say, a full 21-team rosters file for 84-85, and another 21-team roster file for 85-86? I'd love to get my hands on your rosters, if there would be a way. Do you have a ps4 or a xbox one?

As for me sharing the formulas for my created players, I can certainly do that if it can help some people to create their own. The easiest way I think would be to create a Google spreadsheet where I'd put all the infos for facial attributes and equipement. I have NHL 17, so the codes # for Heads, Hair, Sticks, etc. would be according to that version. If that's okay I'll try to start doing that soon.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
That is awesome man! Those 20-ish years are like the Golden Era of hockey for me. So many good players! Did you create, let's say, a full 21-team rosters file for 84-85, and another 21-team roster file for 85-86? I'd love to get my hands on your rosters, if there would be a way. Do you have a ps4 or a xbox one?

As for me sharing the formulas for my created players, I can certainly do that if it can help some people to create their own. The easiest way I think would be to create a Google spreadsheet where I'd put all the infos for facial attributes and equipement. I have NHL 17, so the codes # for Heads, Hair, Sticks, etc. would be according to that version. If that's okay I'll try to start doing that soon.
I have a PS4. If you have a PS4 and you’re able to look past some flaws than that might be doable. One of the reasons I was able to get so many rosters done is because I wasn’t as meticulous about smaller details like faces and Jersey numbers. My main goal was to make as many players as I could to the best of my ability first and foremost and then put them on their right teams for that season.When I entered season modes with the rosters I’d usually edit the goalie equipment and jersey numbers then because I could turn retired numbers off.

These rosters were probably 2-3 years worth of work and at times it got real tedious so I got quite lazy at times. Some examples of this show up on the NHL 18 rosters(94-95-84-85) as I only did the faces of top 6 forwards, top 4 D-men and Starting Goalies so guys like Paul yesbaert and Tom Fitzgerald didn’t get the same kind of love.

I was more diligent in NHL 17 (06-07 to 95-96) as the faces are much better for bottom 6 and depth players and most of the goalie equipment is done, but there is one flaw that I wish I could fix and that is the jacked up ratings. In NHL 17 I was using EA’s old rating system where bottom 6 players would sometimes be in the early 80s and the top end players would have jacked attributes. For example I believe Prime Lemieux is a 99, prime Jagr is a 96/97 and prime Hasek is a 98 on the NHL 17 rosters. Ideally I’d like to lower all players in that game by 2-4 points, but that would take an awful lot of time.

Other than that though the rosters are as advertised. They are all post trade deadline rosters and I’ve created custom teams for the teams whose jerseys aren’t in the game like the 90s Blues and original Sens and Sabres and of course relocated teams like Quebec and Hartford. On NHL 17 there are also extra rosters like 12-13 to 14-15 as well. I have a twitch account so if you’d like I could show you on twitch.

Last edited:

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
I have a PS4. If you a PS4 and you’re able to look past some flaws than that might be doable. One of the reasons I was able to get so many rosters done is because I wasn’t as meticulous about smaller details like faces and Jersey numbers. My main goal was to make as many players as I could to the best of my ability first and foremost and then put them on their right teams for that season.When I entered season modes with the rosters I’d usually edit the goalie equipment and jersey numbers then because I could turn retired numbers off.

These rosters were probably 2-3 years worth of work and at times it got real tedious so I got quite lazy at times. Some examples of this show up on the NHL 18 rosters(94-95-84-85) as I only did the faces of top 6 forwards, top 4 D-men and Starting Goalies so guys like Paul yesbaert and Tom Fitzgerald didn’t get the same kind of love.

I was more diligent in NHL 17 (05-06-95-96) as the faces are much better for bottom 6 and depth players and most of the goalie equipment is done, but there is one flaw that I wish I could fix and that is the jacked up ratings. In NHL 17 I was using EA’s old rating system where bottom 6 players would sometimes be in the early 80s and the top end players would have jacked attributes. For example I believe Prime Lemieux is a 99, prime Jagr is a 96/97 and prime Hasek is a 98 on the NHL 17 rosters. Ideally I’d like to lower all players in that game by 2-4 points, but that would take an awful lot of time.

Other than that though the rosters are as advertised. They are all post trade deadline roster and I’ve created custom teams for the teams who’s jerseys aren’t in the game like the 90s Blues and original Sens and Sabres and of course relocated teams like Quebec and Hartford. On NHL 17 there are also extra rosters like 12-13 to 14-15 as well.

Wow I can't believe all the work you put into this. Im a vivid 1980's 1990's guy. Im 40 years old and I just love playing with players from the 80's and 90's. I created a Team 90's in NHL 17. My Gretzky was picture perfect. I played with this team in a full season. I wanted to do a redemption theme. Great teams who didnt win the Cup.

1986 Oilers
1987 Flyers
1989 Habs
1995 Nordiques
1994 Canucks

I'm a goalie so I put alot of time and efforts on them. I wish there would be more options for goalie equipment. in NHL19 they took away the 70's type masks.

I also love how you recreated the 80's Bruins Jerseys almost to a tee. The Blues, Whalers. I did the same thing recreating the Rockies, Nordiques, North Stars, Whalers, Barons, Golden Seals and Maroons.

I wish i could post pictures on here but i,m a bit clueless on how to do it.

I wish we could share rosters thats for sure.

being a Habs fan my favortite year is 1993, and that was the year the NHL94 came out. I played so much on my Sega that I wish id have the patience and time to recreate all the rosters from that season. Working 45h a week, with a full time girlfriend that I adore and split schedule with my 2 kids makes it impossible for me to work on that project.

Reactions: grentthealien

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Wow I can't believe all the work you put into this. Im a vivid 1980's 1990's guy. Im 40 years old and I just love playing with players from the 80's and 90's. I created a Team 90's in NHL 17. My Gretzky was picture perfect. I played with this team in a full season. I wanted to do a redemption theme. Great teams who didnt win the Cup.

1986 Oilers
1987 Flyers
1989 Habs
1995 Nordiques
1994 Canucks

I'm a goalie so I put alot of time and efforts on them. I wish there would be more options for goalie equipment. in NHL19 they took away the 70's type masks.

I also love how you recreated the 80's Bruins Jerseys almost to a tee. The Blues, Whalers. I did the same thing recreating the Rockies, Nordiques, North Stars, Whalers, Barons, Golden Seals and Maroons.

being a Habs fan my favortite year is 1993, and that was the year the NHL94 came out. I played so much on my Sega that I wish id have the patience and time to recreate all the rosters from that season. Working 45h a week, with a full time girlfriend that I adore and split schedule with my 2 kids makes it impossible for me to work on that project.
Thanks for the reply, but I think you’re confusing me with Sapinvert as I didn’t upload any pictures in this thread. I have those teams jerseys done, but I haven’t uploaded any photos of them.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
Thanks for the reply, but I think you’re confusing me with Sapinvert as I didn’t upload any pictures in this thread. I have those teams jerseys done, but I haven’t uploaded any photos of them.

OOPs i DID sorry about that. Its fun to see a few of us love to do those sort of things.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010

1986 Oilers
1987 Flyers
1989 Habs
1995 Nordiques
1994 Canucks

being a Habs fan my favortite year is 1993, and that was the year the NHL94 came out. I played so much on my Sega that I wish id have the patience and time to recreate all the rosters from that season. Working 45h a week, with a full time girlfriend that I adore and split schedule with my 2 kids makes it impossible for me to work on that project

sapinvert

Feb 25, 2016
I have a PS4. If you have a PS4 and you’re able to look past some flaws than that might be doable. One of the reasons I was able to get so many rosters done is because I wasn’t as meticulous about smaller details like faces and Jersey numbers. My main goal was to make as many players as I could to the best of my ability first and foremost and then put them on their right teams for that season.When I entered season modes with the rosters I’d usually edit the goalie equipment and jersey numbers then because I could turn retired numbers off.

I was more diligent in NHL 17 (05-06-95-96) as the faces are much better for bottom 6 and depth players and most of the goalie equipment is done, but there is one flaw that I wish I could fix and that is the jacked up ratings. In NHL 17 I was using EA’s old rating system where bottom 6 players would sometimes be in the early 80s and the top end players would have jacked attributes. For example I believe Prime Lemieux is a 99, prime Jagr is a 96/97 and prime Hasek is a 98 on the NHL 17 rosters. Ideally I’d like to lower all players in that game by 2-4 points, but that would take an awful lot of time.

Other than that though the rosters are as advertised. They are all post trade deadline rosters and I’ve created custom teams for the teams whose jerseys aren’t in the game like the 90s Blues and original Sens and Sabres and of course relocated teams like Quebec and Hartford. On NHL 17 there are also extra rosters like 12-13 to 14-15 as well. I have a twitch account so if you’d like I could show you on twitch.
I have a PS4 too. I would really like to have a look at the ratings of the players. Like you said, it takes an awful lot of time to decide the ratings, much more than to do the facial attributes and equipment I found. The tough part is where to set the baseline so ratings are not exagerated, but dominant players keep on being dominant.

Do you by any chance have a spreadsheet already made that shows the ratings for your players, for each attribute? If you do that would help me to compare my with my own ratings system and edit some of my already created players. It would be quicker than working the other way around. It would also incite me to create more players and try to replicate their likeness.

Reactions: grentthealien

sapinvert

Feb 25, 2016

1986 Oilers
1987 Flyers
1989 Habs
1995 Nordiques
1994 Canucks

being a Habs fan my favortite year is 1993, and that was the year the NHL94 came out. I played so much on my Sega that I wish id have the patience and time to recreate all the rosters from that season. Working 45h a week, with a full time girlfriend that I adore and split schedule with my 2 kids makes it impossible for me to work on that project
Thanks for your comments! Doing the jerseys for the Bruins, Blues and Whalers was a lot of fun. Like you may have noticed in the pictures, I also created the North Stars (early 90's version), the Flames (early 90's), the Jets (90's version), the Sabres (early 90's) and Sharks (early 90's, the best IMO). I would love to see your Rockies, Barons, Golden Seals and Maroons jerseys! You should definitely try upload those.

I also did pretty accurate Team Canada '87 and Team Canada 2002 jerseys/roster, as well as the 1993 All-Star game jerseys/roster that was held in Montreal (the last year of the classic ASG black and orange). I'll post some pictures later this week. I am also a veteran NHL gamer, having created rosters since NHL 1996... on Sega as well. Great to see another passionate fan of the good old 90's!

Reactions: thewall

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
I have a PS4 too. I would really like to have a look at the ratings of the players. Like you said, it takes an awful lot of time to decide the ratings, much more than to do the facial attributes and equipment I found. The tough part is where to set the baseline so ratings are not exagerated, but dominant players keep on being dominant.

Do you by any chance have a spreadsheet already made that shows the ratings for your players, for each attribute? If you do that would help me to compare my with my own ratings system and edit some of my already created players. It would be quicker than working the other way around. It would also incite me to create more players and try to replicate their likeness.
No I didn’t use a spreadsheet I just read as much as I could find about players I had questions on to kind of get an idea of what the narrative on them was.The history of hockey board was very helpful for me. One attribute I keyed in on a lot was speed and skating. I play with attribute effects on 10/10 so the players move the way I want them to. Guys like Bure have Mcdavid like speed at 99 while guys like Brett Hull and Luc Robitalle’s speed are in the lower 80’s, but their shots are in the high 90s. Rico Fata is one of the fastest players I made, but he is utterly useless at everything else lol.

As for setting a baseline I agree. Like I said I was using EA’s old rating system for 17 so I feel like some players are overpowered. NHL 18 intoduced the current rating system which works much better with bottom 6 players being 77 or lower. I’d fix the ratings for 17 , but that would involve me editing each individual roster file which would be quite time consuming. Maybe someday.

If there is a way to upload decent quality YouTube videos straight from my I-pad I could do that. Or I could just take a bunch of pictures and upload them on a site like Imgur for you to look at.

Reactions: sapinvert

sapinvert

Feb 25, 2016
Here's a quick look at my 1987/2002 Team Canada and 1993 ASG jerseys.

TEAM CANADA 2002 (featuring Le Magnifique)
RNFetchBlobTmp_x1jamnkl57ddec7t2b5x6.jpg

TEAM CANADA 1987 (featuring The Great One)
RNFetchBlobTmp_b0tph9juc7dat0h44ujoc8.jpg

1993 ALL STAR GAME (Campbell vs Wales - featuring... you guessed who)
RNFetchBlobTmp_02315n4bi83w2jcvusguh8x.jpg

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Reactions: sapinvert

sapinvert

Feb 25, 2016
Storm day today so I decided to create a few more players.... more to come also :

VINCENT DAMPHOUSSE
RNFetchBlobTmp_jvdl6y5knpbwqszj10v7w.jpg

STEVE LARMER
RNFetchBlobTmp_d21xptxlb5aldvvrfow4x.jpg

ERIC DESJARDINS
RNFetchBlobTmp_g4xfbzpynq824uogocdu8i.jpg

JOHN LECLAIR
RNFetchBlobTmp_k76tl6fts2hqd1ay87kuv.jpg

PIERRE TURGEON
RNFetchBlobTmp_yfmwtn971cpfv5yc8fba5u.jpg

ZIGGY PALFFY
RNFetchBlobTmp_e19blbp8o5usudfss23n.jpg