The Armchair GM Thread - LXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nov 1, 2011
take it. when was the last time van had a tough SOB stay at home that could throw the fists?

SOB?

Both are below average players.

A lot of mediocre players are getting $2M+ this off-season...I have no problem paying top dollar (i.e. $8M) for high end guys, who would get that much whether they are home grown or UFAs but don't go and sign bottom six forwards or bottom pair dmen as UFAs, you need to be able to promote them from within or sign them at the end of the off-season when they are available for cheap and save the $1M+ in cap space.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
SOB?

Both are below average players.

A lot of mediocre players are getting $2M+ this off-season...I have no problem paying top dollar (i.e. $8M) for high end guys, who would get that much whether they are home grown or UFAs but don't go and sign bottom six forwards or bottom pair dmen as UFAs, you need to be able to promote them from within or sign them at the end of the off-season when they are available for cheap and save the $1M+ in cap space.

Son of a b...

I really don't think we need a player of that ilk but whatever. Benning might want to carry a guy or two like that.

Likewise I'd rather promote from within. I'm hoping Stants, Archy or Lainer can show a bit more bite this year.

Nov 1, 2011
What I'd like to see go down including the rumored trades:

1 - Trade Kesler to ANA for Etem + OTT 1st (Ritchie) + ANA 2015 1st (?)
2 - Trade Tanev + VAN 1st to FLA for FLA 1st (Ekblad)
3 - Trade Hansen to COL for Elliot (sign 2 years x $600K)
4 - Re-sign Kassian ($1.75M) + Schroeder/Dalpe ($600K) + Archibald ($600K)
5 - Re-sign UFA Santorelli @ $1.25M
6 - Sign UFA Stastny $8M x 6 years.
7 - Sign UFA Vanek $8M x 6 years.

Sedin - Sedin - Vanek
Burrows - Stastny - Kassian
Higgins - Santorelli/Horvat - Etem/Jensen
Archibald - Richardson - Matthias
Schroeder - Sestito

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Garrison - Ekblad
Edler - Elliot
Stanton

Lack
Markstrom

$1.445M in cap space left.

Adds youth and the main problem of scoring should be addressed. Potential franchise defenseman in Ekblad in the line-up with a good babysitter. Ritchie/Shinkaruk looks to develop into a long-term replacement for Burrows.

GrogZilla

Mar 31, 2013
Posted ths in the caoch thread but probably belongs here:

So far a great offseason:
1. Benning as GM: Check
2. Willie as coach: Check
3. Kesler traded to restock the prospect pool: In progress.
4. Trade up to grab Reinhart: Still possible.

If Linden/Benning can check off all 4 boxes this will be one heck of an offseason

Seems like you must take the "Hockey as a Religion" thing seriously, that's sure sounds like a faith based assessment of our offseason so far.

We fired a coach & GM, hired a new GM & coach. Well OK I was pretty sure we'd have a coach & GM next season. There's no evidence at all that either of those were good moves yet. So that's just a wash so far.

I haven't listened to anything that Linden or Benning have said yet, because they haven't done anything yet. Anything they've said so far is almost certainly predictable & can be boiled down to "we're going to try to make the team better"
I don't care what they say, I care what they do.

So far our offseason consists of buying out Booth & I'm just meh on that. Don't mind it, wouldn't of minded him being back next year.

Long way to go before I have any real opinion on our offseason. I do feel much more pessimistic about the Canucks future then I did 4 months ago.

lolcatz

Mar 6, 2011

Sedin - Sedin - Vanek
Schroeder - Sestito

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Garrison - Ekblad
Edler - Elliot
Stanton

Lack
Markstrom

Adds youth and the main problem of scoring should be addressed. Potential franchise defenseman in Ekblad in the line-up with a good babysitter. Ritchie/Shinkaruk looks to develop into a long-term replacement for Burrows.

I can't get over this dreadful gut feeling when people talk about trading Tanev. He needs to be resigned.

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
Now that Richard's has been bought out by NY, I wonder what that does to the arms race in centermen available.

Teams may opt to get Richard's without having to transfer any assets in exchange.

SunshineRays

Mar 8, 2012
Garrioch's wrote a story today saying Kesler will only go to 2 teams, Pitts or Chicago. Last week Eric Francis wrote a story saying his list is only 4 teams. Friedman, Mckenzie etc still haven't reported what teams are on his list.
Garrioch's link

In the case of Kesler, he requested a trade last fall and only wants to go to either the Chicago Blackhawks or Pittsburgh Penguins and Stastny is talking contract with the Avalanche

Can't imagine he knows anything about Canucks, perhaps posterimg for Spezza trade?

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
I'm starting to wonder now...

Will the Canucks trade up to #1 and then flip the #1 down to Edmonton or Calgary for the #3 or #4 to draft the center they want? I'm starting to really think this could be a legitimate possibility.

To FLA: #6 + Tanev + Hansen
To VAN: #1

To CAL: #1
To VAN: #4 + 3rd round pick.

CAL #1: Ekblad
BUF #2: Bennett
EDM #3: Draisaitl/Reinhart
VAN #4: Reinhart/Draisaitl

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Will the Canucks trade up to #1 and then flip the #1 down to Edmonton or Calgary for the #3 or #4 to draft the center they want? I'm starting to really think this could be a legitimate possibility.

So the Canucks trade a top 4 dman and Hansen and their 6th only to drop 3 spots for an extra 3rd?

And that's plausible to you?

Why in the holy hell would they risk not being able to get the guy they want for an extra 3rd!?

Iridescent*

Sedin - Sedin - Vanek
Schroeder - Sestito

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Garrison - Ekblad
Edler - Elliot
Stanton

Lack
Markstrom

That would be absolutely terrible. Vanek and Stastny for 8m over 6 years? All that does is ensure we cannot afford to re-sign any young talent that breaks out. That would systematically destroy this franchise and ensure we are a terrible team for 10 or more years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patchey*

That's awful for the Canucks

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
No chance the two team list thing is real.

if it is, you keep kesler. I don't care if it turns into luongo 2.0.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Now that Richard's has been bought out by NY, I wonder what that does to the arms race in centermen available.

Teams may opt to get Richard's without having to transfer any assets in exchange.

Not the same teams that would have serious ambitions for Kesler. You don't go from trying to buy filet mignon to diving through someone's dumpster for scraps. Richards isn't a solution for the Anaheim's or Chicago's of the world. Maybe Florida or NYI if they think there is some veteran mentorship to be had there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad