OT: The Arizona Coyotes Lounge XV - Loop 202 IS OPEN!!!!!!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
not only is that device very interesting, the article provides some great info. thanks!

I'm not sure how the device differentiates between multiple carbon-based lifeforms. My bed usually holds two humans and two canines.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'm not sure how the device differentiates between multiple carbon-based lifeforms. My bed usually holds two humans and two canines.
I suppose it could still do it's thing as long as none of them snore.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
You can also get a sunrise alarm clock. It starts slowly lighting the room up ahead of when you've set the alarm to so your body begins to acclimate to the light and starts to wake itself up more naturally. Then you're not startled awake when it's time to get up. I don't have one, as I just get up with the sun; sunrise is at like 4:30am in the summer here (6 something or so in the winter) so that does for me naturally, but I do know people elsewhere who claim it's never difficult to get up in the morning because of them.

With regard to fitness trackers, some of them simply determine the depth of sleep based on how little you move. I have a Moov and the sleep data is useless because I barrel-roll constantly while sleeping, even if I'm deeply out, yet I get like 5% of my night registered as "deep sleep." My partner just never moves and her data shows consistent bouts of deep sleep throughout the night. It's just a proxy for their inability to actually measure delta waves for deep sleep, so just beware you may not fit the profile of the "average user."

Reactions: Kovi

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
You can also get a sunrise alarm clock. It starts slowly lighting the room up ahead of when you've set the alarm to so your body begins to acclimate to the light and starts to wake itself up more naturally. Then you're not startled awake when it's time to get up. I don't have one, as I just get up with the sun; sunrise is at like 4:30am in the summer here (6 something or so in the winter) so that does for me naturally, but I do know people elsewhere who claim it's never difficult to get up in the morning because of them.

With regard to fitness trackers, some of them simply determine the depth of sleep based on how little you move. I have a Moov and the sleep data is useless because I barrel-roll constantly while sleeping, even if I'm deeply out, yet I get like 5% of my night registered as "deep sleep." My partner just never moves and her data shows consistent bouts of deep sleep throughout the night. It's just a proxy for their inability to actually measure delta waves for deep sleep, so just beware you may not fit the profile of the "average user."

With my s8, the alarm clock has an option of progressively getting louder, kind of like the sunrise you mentioned. It will start about 5 minutes before your alarm is set to go off, slow and mellow tone, and progressively get a little louder until your alarm clock time. I imagine that's a better way to get woken up and not totally face slap you when your alarm goes off.

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

I have smart bulbs in my master bedroom and I set my Google Home to brighten them gradually when my phone alarm goes off in the mornings. It makes a real difference.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I have smart bulbs in my master bedroom and I set my Google Home to brighten them gradually when my phone alarm goes off in the mornings. It makes a real difference.
I'm a little surprised you'd have a Google home, aren't you a software engineer?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
That's an interesting question. Why would those two things be mutually exclusive? Asking for a friend, who is also a software engineer.
Not mutually exclusive but in my experience most of the people I know who are highly technical have little interest in digital assistants, and some are even adversarial towards them,
particularly hardware ones,
because of the data mining implications. On the flip side, the people I know who are into them are usually not in the industry or if they are they're sales or marketing types, not engineering types.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
With my s8, the alarm clock has an option of progressively getting louder, kind of like the sunrise you mentioned. It will start about 5 minutes before your alarm is set to go off, slow and mellow tone, and progressively get a little louder until your alarm clock time. I imagine that's a better way to get woken up and not totally face slap you when your alarm goes off.

this is some time ago, I believe around 2005? 2006? Anyway, the fire department implemented heart saver tones for when you get a call. Red lights will go off and a ramp up tone goes off rather than a shrieking bell alarm. Much better than going from 0-100 in seconds.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
this is some time ago, I believe around 2005? 2006? Anyway, the fire department implemented heart saver tones for when you get a call. Red lights will go off and a ramp up tone goes off rather than a shrieking bell alarm. Much better than going from 0-100 in seconds.

I remember that. Even in LA County, where they still use the Motorola SCU tones, they fade in now rather than just sounding over the speaker, and they precede it with lights. I think they also got rid of or severely curtailed the "house buzzer" too.

New York doesn't even use tones, from what I understand - just lights, one low tone, and then an automated voice calling the necessary companies (engine, ladder, battalion, etc.).

(Sorry, I'm kind of a firefighter nerd ever since I grew up watching Emergency!)

Reactions: Lawson of Anarchy

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
in my experience most of the people I know who are highly technical have little interest in digital assistants, and some are even adversarial towards them,
particularly hardware ones, because of the data mining implications. On the flip side, the people I know who are into them are usually not in the industry or if they are they're sales or marketing types, not engineering types.

Okay, fair enough. Predictably, I am a software engineer, and in my experience most highly technical people who are adversarial toward such things tend to....well....just be adversarial in general :laugh: no shortage of 'em though, to be sure.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Okay, fair enough. Predictably, I am a software engineer, and in my experience most highly technical people who are adversarial toward such things tend to....well....just be adversarial in general :laugh: no shortage of 'em though, to be sure.
Eh I think this form of "such things" is defensible, particularly if you're reasonably educated on how they work and their purpose. Regardless what one thinks about them though, they should be free to users in exchange for their data, Google/Amazon of all companies shouldn't get away with double dipping.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Used to drive by that station all the time. It was located in Carson along the I-405 freeway. Which is at least 25 miles from what is known as the Rampart community in downtown Los Angeles.

"Rampart" is actually Harbor UCLA Medical Center, right?

Station 127 in Carson is now the R.A. Cinader Memorial Station (Cinader was one of the co-creators of Emergency!) and apparently they still get visitors all the time wanting to check out "Station 51."

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
"Rampart" is actually Harbor UCLA Medical Center, right?

Station 127 in Carson is now the R.A. Cinader Memorial Station (Cinader was one of the co-creators of Emergency!) and apparently they still get visitors all the time wanting to check out "Station 51."

Yes on the hospital. Had driven by there as well more than once.

Used to go back and forth between San Luis Obispo and SoCal/LoCal back in the 70s and 80s all the time visiting family and friends.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Somewhat Westgate related.....

Work has begun on extending Bethany Home Road between 83rd and 91st Avenues. Huge community going into that open space there, but it will allow another path into and out of Westgate from the East.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Anybody watching The Mandalorian? Looks like it's getting back to the original Star Wars I grew up with. Hope it keeps getting better. Gonna watch episode 3 now.

I have spoken.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Anybody watching The Mandalorian? Looks like it's getting back to the original Star Wars I grew up with. Hope it keeps getting better. Gonna watch episode 3 now.

I have spoken.

Just watched chapter 1. Good so far

Reactions: RemoAZ

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
It's a solid show. Only bad part is they haven't released it all at once!

Eight chapters in total and will be realeased one per week, which in the age of streaming binges is unusual, but I prefer the gradual release. Binge resistance force is weak with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad