The annual apology letter

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
The previous posters in this thread are talking about spending $7000 for a Sunday newspaper ad, and you wanna buy out Rexall lol?

Average resale ticket price for the Oil are $259 each and Rexall seats 16,900. Even if the tickets each cost $60 (they do not) you're still looking at just over a million dollars.

$259? lol.

There are a ton of weekday tickets for $20 a pop. Get 20-30 people to join up and chant all game. You'll be noticed.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
The previous posters in this thread are talking about spending $7000 for a Sunday newspaper ad, and you wanna buy out Rexall lol?

Average resale ticket price for the Oil are $259 each and Rexall seats 16,900. Even if the tickets each cost $60 (they do not) you're still looking at just over a million dollars.

So you're saying there's a chance ....

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Guys, guys - you can't fight stupid.

Shall we make a list of every tool the org has to sway public opinion their way?

- Serving coffee at Tim Horton's.
- Visiting the sick kids at the Stollery.

- Players personally delivering season tickets to holders.
- Scapegoating and firing the coaches.
- Scapegoating and trading the goalies.
- Scapegoating and exiling disgruntled players.
- Roger's Place construction updates.
- Throwing rookies into the line-up as shiny new toys.
- Having the radio shills toss out hot trade rumours for a distraction.
- Oil Change - until the production team quit, lol.
- Uniform changes (wait for oranges, coming soon enough).
- Players and coaches lambasting fans for acting out of frustration.

Each one of these, along with the "No True Scotsman" fallacy, will always be enough to turn public opinion against the dissenters and effectively silence them. It's just good business.
:shakehead You can't be serious.

If you are really dismissing community engagement as some propaganda tool as some here put it, then perhaps you need a break from the team.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
:shakehead You can't be serious.

If you are really dismissing community engagement as some propaganda tool as some here put it, then perhaps you need a break from the team.

Like I said, I can't fight stupid. Great attempt to silence criticism, telling a fellow fan to go away. Congrats, you're a true mark. You're the very person I'm speaking of.

EnthusiasticYak

Mar 7, 2014
$259? lol.

There are a ton of weekday tickets for $20 a pop. Get 20-30 people to join up and chant all game. You'll be noticed.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/toronto-maple-leafs-most-expensive-ticket-in-nhl-all-teams-listed-1-to-30/

I do like your idea of buying a good chunk of seats in the 300's and doing a chant of some kind but i'd have to think that even 20-30 people chanting "Fire Lowe" would be removed from the arena. I know that i've heard of people doing it before and being asked to stop or be removed, which is completely within the Oilers right as it is private property.

Maybe a satirical type "Kev-in Lowe" chant might work? Even then that'd likely be grounds for removal as no one in their right mind would mean that in a positive way.

On the topic of the apology letter, it would mean nothing. Mostly because i'm aware that it really doesn't matter what the Oilers do at this point; they're going to struggle for the foreseeable future with the current management. For me, the Oilers circus has just become comedy. I've been a life long fan of the Oilers and i'd love to see successful playoff hockey in Edmonton, as was the promised result of this rebuild, but i'm a hockey fan first and foremost and there is plenty of excellent NHL hockey to watch these days.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Let's pool our money and buy as many of the tickets as possible for the islanders game in January, then shred all the tickets and let the team play their dynasty rival in an empty coliseum.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/toronto-maple-leafs-most-expensive-ticket-in-nhl-all-teams-listed-1-to-30/

I do like your idea of buying a good chunk of seats in the 300's and doing a chant of some kind but i'd have to think that even 20-30 people chanting "Fire Lowe" would be removed from the arena. I know that i've heard of people doing it before and being asked to stop or be removed, which is completely within the Oilers right as it is private property.

Maybe a satirical type "Kev-in Lowe" chant might work? Even then that'd likely be grounds for removal as no one in their right mind would mean that in a positive way.

On the topic of the apology letter, it would mean nothing. Mostly because i'm aware that it really doesn't matter what the Oilers do at this point; they're going to struggle for the foreseeable future with the current management. For me, the Oilers circus has just become comedy. I've been a life long fan of the Oilers and i'd love to see successful playoff hockey in Edmonton, as was the promised result of this rebuild, but i'm a hockey fan first and foremost and there is plenty of excellent NHL hockey to watch these days.

What about this idea - blackout. By that, I mean target one game later in the year (when we've reached our Lowe-est point) and urge people not to wear jerseys or Oiler clothing of any sort, but black. If you support the need for organizational change, wear black. The Oilers used to do a "whiteout" theme in the playoffs (yes, it was more of a Winnipeg thing, but for some reason we did it one year), the blackout concept is the perfect passive protest. You hype it enough, a couple months in advance, and hopefully you get a visible amount of support.

It's too much to ask people to boycott the Oil, mainly because even if STH don't mind foregoing a game at their own expense there are usually charities that take underprivileged kids to games and I wouldn't want to see that program hurt at the expense of making a statement. But if this movement got the right exposure, I could see STH that may have otherwise given up their tickets (out of frustration or disgust) actually going to the game to have their opinion of management recognized.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
What about this idea - blackout. By that, I mean target one game later in the year (when we've reached our Lowe-est point) and urge people not to wear jerseys or Oiler clothing of any sort, but black. If you support the need for organizational change, wear black. The Oilers used to do a "whiteout" theme in the playoffs (yes, it was more of a Winnipeg thing, but for some reason we did it one year), the blackout concept is the perfect passive protest. You hype it enough, a couple months in advance, and hopefully you get a visible amount of support.

It's too much to ask people to boycott the Oil, mainly because even if STH don't mind foregoing a game at their own expense there are usually charities that take underprivileged kids to games and I wouldn't want to see that program hurt at the expense of making a statement. But if this movement got the right exposure, I could see STH that may have otherwise given up their tickets (out of frustration or disgust) actually going to the game to have their opinion of management recognized.

love the idea, put it in motion!

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
It'll be soon. The "Lowe Must Go" Facebook page has two billboards going up soon, one this weekend at 50st and 137ave, and another one going up at WEM.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The Lowe must go bit is going to just play into the hands of the Oiler propaganda machine. Another perfect deflection of the total ills of the team.

Evil Ernie

Nov 2, 2011
come on, guys. Katz isn't that bad. He's a builder; he wants to make his and our city better.

He just has a glaring weakness in that he doesn't treat his Oilers toy like the rest of his businesses. Its his boys club. It's his curling or slow pitch team. He can't bring himself to skid his friend, the guy that talked him into buying the team in the first place.

Loyalty is admirable, i suppose, in almost every other situation. Its his business; he can employ whomever he wants. It just so happens that this particular business happens to be the vessel that we live vicariously thru.

The whole thing sucks. Eventually, even he will realize that KLowe really the root of the problem. I suspect KLowe will resign if the team finishes last.

I agree that he means well, but you're right. He needs to get better people running the ship.

I think that it may take a trade demand from Nuge or Hall to get that done.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Like I said, I can't fight stupid. Great attempt to silence criticism, telling a fellow fan to go away. Congrats, you're a true mark. You're the very person I'm speaking of.

have you ever had a sick child in the hospital? trust me it's not something i'd wish on my worst enemy, and those kids don't care if the team is winning or losing, they're just exstatic to see their sports heroes in person. also, visiting sick kids is not something the org just starting doing when this team went in to the tank, it's been happening for years whether this team was successful or not. for you to say that's a ploy by the current management to sway public opinion is completely idiotic. so i guess your right, you can't fight stupid, especially when its coming from your own mouth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad