The annual apology letter

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Any guesses as to when Katz will put his yearly gem out? Will the timeline be based on our record, or jersey tosses? Will he just sift through the library of apology letters and copy and paste the parts he liked from previous letters, kind of like when a sitcom has a clip show?

Also, curious if people here think we should beat him to the punch this time. I don't know what running a 1 page add costs, but if someone was ballsy enough to raise money on kickstarter or some website like that, a 1 page letter to Katz via the SUN/Journal airing any and all grievances with how this organization has spiralled down the crapper could get some decent media coverage. The billboard was a nice touch last year, but we need to keep the pressure on. Eventually something's gotta give, doesn't it?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I liked their threat letter much better. The letter in the journal after failing to sign Nylander was stuff of legends.

"Oilers Statement regarding Michael Nylander

The Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club is compelled to clarify the unfortunate and unprecedented circumstances surrounding the Edmonton Oilers and Michael Nylander.

On Sunday, July 1, 2007, Kevin Lowe, Oilers General Manager, and Mr. Mike Gillis, Certified Agent for Michael Nylander, negotiated and agreed to a multi-year NHL Standard Players Contract, starting in 2007/08. Mr. Gillis confirmed same to the Oilers in writing.

The Oilers then proceeded with preparations to announce Mr. Nylander’s contract agreement on July 2, and concurrently continued with the process of negotiating with other free agents based upon Mr. Nylander being an important roster ingredient for the future.

However, while the Oilers were expecting the returned, signed agreements from Mr. Nylander and Mr. Gillis, the Oilers discovered through public announcements made mid-afternoon on July 2, that Mr. Nylander had subsequently entered into a long-term contract with the Capitals.

The Oilers can find no precedent for such conduct in our history. The Oilers are examining and pursuing every course of action available in the best interest of the team and our fans.

For legal reasons, the Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club will not be discussing the details any further at this time. "

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
didn't Katz release a statement after visiting Seattle?

well, his group did:

The following statement is attributable to Bob Black, Executive Vice President, Edmonton Arena Corporation, Katz Group:

"I can confirm that Daryl Katz, Patrick LaForge, Kevin Lowe and others from the Oilers leadership group are in Seattle for meetings and to attend the Seahawks game.

We remain committed to working with City Administration to achieve a deal commensurate with what Winnipeg and Pittsburgh have done to sustain the NHL in those small markets. If we can achieve such a deal, the Oilers will remain in Edmonton and we can get on with the important work of developing the new arena and investing in the continued revitalization of Edmonton's downtown core.

Nonetheless, and as the City of Edmonton is aware, the Katz Group has been listening to proposals from a number of potential NHL markets for some time. After more than four years of trying to secure an arena deal and with less than 24 months remaining on the Oilers' lease at Rexall Place, this is only prudent and should come as no surprise.

We are extremely grateful to Oilers' fans for their patience and loyalty as we work through this process towards what we sincerely hope will be a long and successful future for the Oilers in Edmonton. We have no further comment on the status of our discussions with other markets at this time."

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Just looked into a full page add in the SUN. $ 5,680 Per day, Mon-Sat. Sunday's cost more. After reading the rules to Kickstarter it looks like everything would fit within their confines of rules for fundraising. They also take 5% of the fundraising, plus there is some 3-5% processing fee, so the fundraising goal would likely have to be $6, 248 to cover all possible costs.

If 1250 fans gave 5 bucks each, we could make some noise. Just saying it's an idea, thought I'd float it out to the HF Oil community and see what you guys think.

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
An ad in the Sunday edition of the Edmonton Journal would be absolutely hilarious and keep the heat up for sure.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Just buy another 100 jerseys and have a mass jersey toss. All #4 jerseys with Lowe on the back.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
I'd donate to a kickstarter do sure, although I bet once media picked up on the online portion it would raise quite the ruckus even before it for fully funded.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
probably in the new year when the team is 20 games out of a playoff spot and 10 points back 13th in the conference, status quo remains and their are public calls for Lowe's head.

Really, can Lowe survive another billboard? if he did, that would have to a business first.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Christmas season is always a nice touch for releasing this type of letter, to distract from the glaring issues.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
boycott rexall, pharmacy and arena. I go to shoppers now which is giant inconvenience for me because rexall is accross the street from my house.

Eff katz

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
come on, guys. Katz isn't that bad. He's a builder; he wants to make his and our city better.

He just has a glaring weakness in that he doesn't treat his Oilers toy like the rest of his businesses. Its his boys club. It's his curling or slow pitch team. He can't bring himself to skid his friend, the guy that talked him into buying the team in the first place.

Loyalty is admirable, i suppose, in almost every other situation. Its his business; he can employ whomever he wants. It just so happens that this particular business happens to be the vessel that we live vicariously thru.

The whole thing sucks. Eventually, even he will realize that KLowe really the root of the problem. I suspect KLowe will resign if the team finishes last.

fysloc

Dec 23, 2011
I don't think a kickstarter would work very well as I believe you have to provide rewards to backers with reward tiers. Don't think I have seen a kickstarter without some kind of reward to backers.

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
I don't think a kickstarter would work very well as I believe you have to provide rewards to backers with reward tiers. Don't think I have seen a kickstarter without some kind of reward to backers.

Fans get to craft a personal insult that will go into the ad. $1000 and over.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
I recall the guy with the sign on the back of his pickup (Bill Day) and the dude who headed the "Kevin Lowe has to go" Facebook page (John) didn't really like the negative attention they received.

Charities would not even accept the donations raised from the bumper stickers sold during the campaign.

I'm too apathetic to financially support this team one way or the other.

So, meh.

Eirhead*

Let's pool our money and buy as many of the tickets as possible for the islanders game in January, then shred all the tickets and let the team play their dynasty rival in an empty coliseum.

EnthusiasticYak

Mar 7, 2014
Let's pool our money and buy as many of the tickets as possible for the islanders game in January, then shred all the tickets and let the team play their dynasty rival in an empty coliseum.

The previous posters in this thread are talking about spending $7000 for a Sunday newspaper ad, and you wanna buy out Rexall lol?

Average resale ticket price for the Oil are $259 each and Rexall seats 16,900. Even if the tickets each cost $60 (they do not) you're still looking at just over a million dollars.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Guys, guys - you can't fight stupid.

Shall we make a list of every tool the org has to sway public opinion their way?

- Serving coffee at Tim Horton's.
- Visiting the sick kids at the Stollery.
- Players personally delivering season tickets to holders.
- Scapegoating and firing the coaches.
- Scapegoating and trading the goalies.
- Scapegoating and exiling disgruntled players.
- Roger's Place construction updates.
- Throwing rookies into the line-up as shiny new toys.
- Having the radio shills toss out hot trade rumours for a distraction.
- Oil Change - until the production team quit, lol.
- Uniform changes (wait for oranges, coming soon enough).
- Players and coaches lambasting fans for acting out of frustration.

Each one of these, along with the "No True Scotsman" fallacy, will always be enough to turn public opinion against the dissenters and effectively silence them. It's just good business.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad