The Annual “Is scoring up?” Thread

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I dont understand the obsession with more goals. I'd much rather see a good hitting, fundamentally sound game with good goaltending. Most games I have seen this year have been very sloppy.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
I dont understand the obsession with more goals. I'd much rather see a good hitting, fundamentally sound game with good goaltending. Most games I have seen this year have been very sloppy.

Offense and goals sells the game better to the average sports fan, though.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Last year was the highest scoring year since 06-07. From the games i've watched this year it looks like teams are faster than ever so i expect the high scoring to continue. Fun to watch so far for sure.

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014
Guys afraid to play physical, no hitting hockey leads to faster hockey with more scoring

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Between 1967-1968 and 2003-2004, only 10 seasons had scored at a lower rate than the 17-18 NHL season did. If the game is being "Americanized" it was "Americanized" long before present day
Yes. It started in the 80s. All they cared about was scoring no one played defense. It was brutal but at least the game was physical. The game became more defensively responsible in recent years but now everyone is crying for more offense. The league is changing rules that are specifically meant to add offense. Leave the game alone.

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
Yes. It started in the 80s. All they cared about was scoring no one played defense. It was brutal but at least the game was physical. The game became more defensively responsible in recent years but now everyone is crying for more offense. The league is changing rules that are specifically meant to add offense. Leave the game alone.
All of the 70's and most of the 90's scored at a higher rate than last season, was the game "americanized" in those decades too?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I think it's because of s very loud group of people that grew up watching the 80s. Scoring to them means hockey is good again.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Sloppy games are part for the course at this time of the year.

Goals are good for the game though. You and I will watch no matter what, but I believe the casual fan locks in when the goals are flowing and there are individual records on the line.

It's like in baseball, I believe the casual fan loves home runs. I remember the major buzz when long standing home run records were falling.

If the game wants to continue to grow, more goals gives you chance because it can open the door to the casual fan, and perhaps he can then be converted into a hardcore like us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad