The "All Things NYC" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Actually, one last, kind of strange question.

I found on the FAQ on MSG's website that you can bring backpacks into the arena but it's recommended to travel as lightly as possible.

Well, we decided that instead of driving we would take an amtrak up to Penn Station.

I'm traveling lightly, but for the train I decided I'd bring my laptop to use as a dvd player. Would MSG allow a laptop be brought into the arena?

Not exactly an MSG-specific question, more general about all arenas, but figured I'd see if anyone knew. Thanks guys.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
They're definitely going to search your bag, but I don't think it will be a problem. Taking in a huge bag becomes a hassle for not only yourself, but everyone around you, that's why they recommend you pack light. If it can fit easily enough under your chair, you should be fine. I would keep it to the bare minimum, and nothing suspicious looking.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Actually, one last, kind of strange question.

I found on the FAQ on MSG's website that you can bring backpacks into the arena but it's recommended to travel as lightly as possible.

Well, we decided that instead of driving we would take an amtrak up to Penn Station.

I'm traveling lightly, but for the train I decided I'd bring my laptop to use as a dvd player. Would MSG allow a laptop be brought into the arena?

Not exactly an MSG-specific question, more general about all arenas, but figured I'd see if anyone knew. Thanks guys.

Yeah you can. My cousin brought his Mac with him for a game a year or two ago and had no problems bringing it in. MSG's security is the worst so even if you bring in something you're not supposed to, you can get it in anyway.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Yeah you can. My cousin brought his Mac with him for a game a year or two ago and had no problems bringing it in. MSG's security is the worst so even if you bring in something you're not supposed to, you can get it in anyway.

They don't even bother searching my bag when I come after school :laugh:

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
OT: Tolls into NYC area

Hey all I live near Syracuse and I had to drive down to Astoria b/c my gf lives there and got sick. Google navigation took me down 81to through PA then through NJ on I-80 into the GWB. I'm really getting hammered w/ these $12 tolls and then another $6.50 onto the FDR. At least I think its the FDR...but is there some way to enter the NYC area, driving, w/o these fees? If it involves driving to the north part of NYC and then coming down I guess that kind of cancels it out because I'd prolly use that much in gas anyway...

Just wondered if i'm taking the most efficient route into queens. Thanks!

Tommy Dodge

Sep 19, 2009
Hey fellow Ranger fans,
My wife and I are heading down from the maritimes in Canada for a couple of Ranger games in March, Lanche and Devils, to be precise. Looking at tix for the 100s behind Henrik? any recommendations? Also somewhere in the middle for the Devils game. Without selling the house, any thoughts on what should be a reasonably priced ticket with a decent view?
It will be over the St. Paddy's day weekend, and staying at The Manhattan in Times square. I know there is lots of great info for a first-time NYC tourist. Does anyone is the hotel location a long walk to MSG? Central park? and other tourist spots? Besides the huge parade any other events on that weekend? What pubs would be good for game/St.Paddy's?
Will the Rangers actually wear the Green St. Paddys jersey, or is that just a fan gimmick?

gluvhand

Jul 30, 2009
Rockland County
Hey all I live near Syracuse and I had to drive down to Astoria b/c my gf lives there and got sick. Google navigation took me down 81to through PA then through NJ on I-80 into the GWB. I'm really getting hammered w/ these $12 tolls and then another $6.50 onto the FDR. At least I think its the FDR...but is there some way to enter the NYC area, driving, w/o these fees? If it involves driving to the north part of NYC and then coming down I guess that kind of cancels it out because I'd prolly use that much in gas anyway...

Just wondered if i'm taking the most efficient route into queens. Thanks!

Pretty much going to cost the same no matter how you come down. I guess you could get yourself to the NYS Thruway to the Tappan Zee to I-87 to the Hutchinson River Pkwy to the Whitestone or Throggs Neck Bridge into Queens. Might save a little in tolls.

ShotDownCrosby

Sep 29, 2009
Ontario
Ok, so I posted stuff in the lounge then someone pointed out that I was being a dumb blonde for doing so, and should have posted here! Yes, this is a much better place!

So a group of girls and I are planning a road trip down to NYC (in april), and were wondering a few things.

1) Good places to stay (hotels and area's that are best to stay in)
2) Good places to eat/drink/clubs
3) Good places to see (we won't be able to see everything, so what are top things to see, and some places that may be great to see, that I wouldn't think of).
4) Also, any advice on parking and costs? As we will be driving down, just looking for ball park costs -- not planning on actually doing any driving while there).

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated! Us nurses need a break after a year of crap at work!

BwayBshirt

Mar 31, 2004
My NY State of Mind
Ok, so I posted stuff in the lounge then someone pointed out that I was being a dumb blonde for doing so, and should have posted here! Yes, this is a much better place!

So a group of girls and I are planning a road trip down to NYC (in april), and were wondering a few things.

3) Good places to see (we won't be able to see everything, so what are top things to see, and some places that may be great to see, that I wouldn't think of).
4) Also, any advice on parking and costs? As we will be driving down, just looking for ball park costs -- not planning on actually doing any driving while there).

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated! Us nurses need a break after a year of crap at work!

For hotels, it's almost always reasonably cheaper to stay anywhere but Manhattan. However, for 1st-timers I always suggest that you stay in Manhattan; preferrably somewhere in Midtown. It's easiest to navigate/understand the layout of the city that way.

Also, as ultimately uncool as it will eventually be...I do recommend that new visitors walk through Times Square as one of their first stops even if they only do it once.

It's a tourist trap, and it's heavily crowded. But day and night, for better or worse, it gives one the idea of the pulse/vibe/energy of New York. And the 'hood has some of the best access to the subway in the city.

Just don't buy anything in the area. Please.

Last edited:

NHRangerfan

Pretty much going to cost the same no matter how you come down. I guess you could get yourself to the NYS Thruway to the Tappan Zee to I-87 to the Hutchinson River Pkwy to the Whitestone or Throggs Neck Bridge into Queens. Might save a little in tolls.

To both posters between tolls, gas and parking, I would look to get to the city by train...you'll either come into Penn Station (underneath MSG) or Grand Central Station depending on the train you take based on where your coming from. As others have said staying in the city will be expensive, you could try to stay in NJ or somewhere in in NY outside of the city close to a train station to commute into the city will save you a good chunk of $.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

Times Square is full of hotels. Westin,Doubletree,Marriott,Hilton. All of them are located within 4-5 blocks of each other. The subway is located right there. You can go anywhere you want.

Central Park is nice in April. Statue of Liberty. You can talk a bus tour of New York. Empire State Building. The top of 30 Rock. Go to a Broadway Show.

Parking your car. You can get the rates here. This company operates many parking lots/garages in Manhattan

http://www.iconparkingsystems.com/index.asp

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Times Square is full of hotels. Westin,Doubletree,Marriott,Hilton. All of them are located within 4-5 blocks of each other. The subway is located right there. You can go anywhere you want.

Central Park is nice in April. Statue of Liberty. You can talk a bus tour of New York. Empire State Building. The top of 30 Rock. Go to a Broadway Show.

Parking your car. You can get the rates here. This company operates many parking lots/garages in Manhattan

I say pass on the Statue of Liberty. Going to Liberty Island, to me, is not a good use of time. Lots of time spent for very little pay off. You can get great views of the Statue from lower Manhattan or the Staten Island Ferry.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
I say pass on the Statue of Liberty. Going to Liberty Island, to me, is not a good use of time. Lots of time spent for very little pay off. You can get great views of the Statue from lower Manhattan or the Staten Island Ferry.

Whether you go to Liberty Island or take the SI Ferry, you're guaranteed a great view of the city so definitely do either. And to the poster who said to take the Throggs Neck bridge, as far as I know it's just as expensive as the other ones, $6.50 each way.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC

Agreed, climbing up the Statue is overrated. I took the Ferry every day for 4 years. The views are great. I always tell people to take it at night. Less of a crowd and I think it's nicer anyway. Plus, you then get an awesome view of the lit up Manhattan skyline on the way back.

And you can buy beer on the ferry, so it can make for a good pregame. :naughty:

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
Hey fellow Ranger fans,
My wife and I are heading down from the maritimes in Canada for a couple of Ranger games in March, Lanche and Devils, to be precise. Looking at tix for the 100s behind Henrik? any recommendations? Also somewhere in the middle for the Devils game. Without selling the house, any thoughts on what should be a reasonably priced ticket with a decent view?
It will be over the St. Paddy's day weekend, and staying at The Manhattan in Times square. I know there is lots of great info for a first-time NYC tourist. Does anyone is the hotel location a long walk to MSG? Central park? and other tourist spots? Besides the huge parade any other events on that weekend? What pubs would be good for game/St.Paddy's?
Will the Rangers actually wear the Green St. Paddys jersey, or is that just a fan gimmick?
As far as reasonably priced tickets the 300,s offer the best value as the lower bowl is very expensive. The walk from Times Square to MSG is reasonable but depending on how much you want to walk Central Park is a stretch because once you get to the park you will still have plenty of walking in the park.
I don,t recall the Rangers ever wearing a Green St Patricks Jersey but with all the marketing you never know

ShotDownCrosby

Sep 29, 2009
Ontario
For hotels, it's almost always reasonably cheaper to stay anywhere but Manhattan. However, for 1st-timers I always suggest that you stay in Manhattan; preferrably somewhere in Midtown. It's easiest to navigate/understand the layout of the city that way.

Also, as ultimately uncool as it will eventually be...I do recommend that new visitors walk through Times Square as one of their first stops even if they only do it once.

It's a tourist trap, and it's heavily crowded. But day and night, for better or worse, it gives one the idea of the pulse/vibe/energy of New York. And the 'hood has some of the best access to the subway in the city.

Just don't buy anything in the area. Please.

Thanks for this! I definitely plan on at least attempting the crowds of Times Square. As for buying anything, I don't really plan on buying much while there.

Trip is mostly about fun not shopping!

To both posters between tolls, gas and parking, I would look to get to the city by train...you'll either come into Penn Station (underneath MSG) or Grand Central Station depending on the train you take based on where your coming from. As others have said staying in the city will be expensive, you could try to stay in NJ or somewhere in in NY outside of the city close to a train station to commute into the city will save you a good chunk of $.

If staying outside of the city, what are typical transits to take and prices? I am open to staying out of the city, but it is me and 3 other girls and everything will be split 4 ways. So even if parking is pricey it will be split. And with Parking, do most major hotels have parking available? Or would I have to find other arrangements?

Thanks! Super helpful! Any Broadway shows you would suggest?

Whether you go to Liberty Island or take the SI Ferry, you're guaranteed a great view of the city so definitely do either. And to the poster who said to take the Throggs Neck bridge, as far as I know it's just as expensive as the other ones, $6.50 each way.

Agreed, climbing up the Statue is overrated. I took the Ferry every day for 4 years. The views are great. I always tell people to take it at night. Less of a crowd and I think it's nicer anyway. Plus, you then get an awesome view of the lit up Manhattan skyline on the way back.

And you can buy beer on the ferry, so it can make for a good pregame. :naughty:

Cool! Thanks for the tips. Ferry + Beer is always good (our work does a boat cruise and its always a good time). lol. Good to know many people think Statue of Liberty is a waste! Only going for 4 nights and so need to weed out what's not worth it.

Really really appreciated guys!!!

rangersfan111

May 6, 2010
hey guys ... if someone could please respond to this question.. it would be very much appreciated...

I had a discussion with my friend yesterday and he argued that New Jersey is not located in New York. Now I know New Jersey is it's own state but is it not located in New York? I thought Buffalo as well.

By the way I'm Canadian.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
hey guys ... if someone could please respond to this question.. it would be very much appreciated...

I had a discussion with my friend yesterday and he argued that New Jersey is not located in New York. Now I know New Jersey is it's own state but is it not located in New York? I thought Buffalo as well.

By the way I'm Canadian.

How could New Jersey be in New York if it's it's own state? You answered your own question :laugh:

Buffalo is a city which is located in northwestern New York. New Jersey's a state that's west of NYC and south of the rest of the state of NY.

rangersfan111

May 6, 2010
How could New Jersey be in New York if it's it's own state? You answered your own question :laugh:

Buffalo is a city which is located in northwestern New York. New Jersey's a state that's west of NYC and south of the rest of the state of NY.

Sorry, I thought there was regions as well as states. I thought there was a New York Region that included buffalo and new jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad