The All Purpose Pens Off Day Thread - Injuries, Practice, Lines, etc (Dumo Injured - 8 weeks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
yeah...apparently there’s some stuff online saying it’s a 6-12 week recovery process depending severity, etc

Well f***. And I'd rather he stay out as long as possible...only because he's getting older and if it doesn't heal 100%, well...shut the Cup window for sure.

Guess we'll see him for the annual late push for playoffs.

Reactions: Andy99

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Luckily NJ, NYR and CBJ are trash this year. Pens should be able to make the playoffs regardless of injuries.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Btw, hockeyviz has 19-20 shot charts available for non-subscribers now. I'm going to go into more detail when I get home, but a few things that stood out:

-JJ, McCann anf Tanev are all asininely good defensively while being asininely bad offensively
-Galchenyuk has gotten an unfair amount of crap from Penguins fans, he's been one of their better offensive generators
-The bottom-6 has generally been bad at generating chances, but they're phenomenal at limiting chances

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Galchenyuk has gotten an unfair amount of crap from Penguins fans, he's been one of their better offensive generators

Word on Chucky in AZ was that he started real slow last year after an injury (which sounds familiar) then really picked it up in the 2nd half. With the injuries up front you’d like that sort of timeline to accelerate a bit but I’m willing to give him some time.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Luckily NJ, NYR and CBJ are trash this year. Pens should be able to make the playoffs regardless of injuries.

I wouldn’t say trash but unlikely to make the POs...however, we’ll be fighting with CAR and Philly for that third division spot since the Isles and Caps are running away from the pack...if we don’t get the third spot, we’ll be in competition for a WC spot with teams like the Leafs, TB and Sabres, FLA...it’s going to be tough...let’s hope Murray has a god mode activation switch because we need him more than ever now...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Btw, hockeyviz has 19-20 shot charts available for non-subscribers now. I'm going to go into more detail when I get home, but a few things that stood out:

-JJ, McCann anf Tanev are all asininely good defensively while being asininely bad offensively
-Galchenyuk has gotten an unfair amount of crap from Penguins fans, he's been one of their better offensive generators
-The bottom-6 has generally been bad at generating chances, but they're phenomenal at limiting chances

eye test supports this I think...AG has had some good chances, just doesn’t finish them, which is a theme throughout the lineup this year...

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Sullivan needs to just play MiracleOnIceSpeech.mpeg next meeting.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Really glad he went through with it instead of waiting. Just...try to take it easy for the recommended period :help:

Reactions: TNT87

turd

Feb 1, 2013
No he hasn’t. He’s here to score goals and he hasn’t done that. Charts are only good for so much. Eventually, the stat line needs to start showing something and his isn’t. He’s been a huge disappointment so far no matter what the fancy stats might say.

Reactions: Trade

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It'll make me long for the days of Tangradi-Comrie-Malkin. :laugh:

The kings of that years pre-season. Man...the good ol days here. The arguments on Staal as 2C and Malkin as the wing because for a couple games in the SCF, Talbot took a draw or two for Malkin in the defensive zone. Who was is that said something to the effect of "I really think they are grooming Staal to be the future 2C of this team and they will ship Malkin out for help on the wing"? Man oh man...you see kids, you're opinions today are not totally asinine. Posters have been doing here for generations. Doesn't make you any more right than them...in fact, you're all wrong still...but there should be comfort in knowing you're not wrong all by your lonesome selves.

Reactions: vodeni

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Not even 20 games in and this season is already utterly demoralizing.
It's not that bad man. We're 10-6-2 despite heavy injuries. PK is #2 in the league. #6 in GA/GP. Murray and Jarry playing well. We've put up 7 4 times. Among the best teams 5v5. Been quite consistent with the compete level.

Today is a tough day with this news but there's hope they'll survive this.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I'm going to try to stay positive. By saying at least 6 weeks, they actually mean that it "could" take 6 weeks, but covering their butts if it actually takes longer. My guess is he will be back in the lineup Dec 30 against Ottawa at home. If the team is in a strong playoff position at that point, then he would likely wait and play the first game of 2020 at home against the Sharks.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'm going to try to stay positive. By saying at least 6 weeks, they actually mean that it "could" take 6 weeks, but covering their butts if it actually takes longer. My guess is he will be back in the lineup Dec 30 against Ottawa at home. If the team is in a strong playoff position at that point, then he would likely wait and play the first game of 2020 at home against the Sharks.
My friend had the exact same injury and he was out of commission for 3 months. You have to think that with the professional care Sid will get, it'll be much sooner than that. 2 months tops IMO.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Okay, I have a chance to actually look at the stats more closely:

1. Pettersson-Schultz has been pretty predictable this year IMO, a good offensive driver while being bad defensively. It seems like the pair hurts the team more defensively than he helps offensively in terms of relative stats, but the pure on ice results are still good
2. The stats for JJ-Marino also match the eye test, non-factors offensively but absolutely great defensively. Johnson has actually been a somewhat better offensive driver than Marino has this year (-6% threat level for JJ, -13% threat level for Marino). I think the 3rd pair has probably been better than the 2nd pair this year, but you're comparing 2 pairs with extremely different results.
3. Dumoulin has been their best defenseman this year, he's the only D on the roster who has been a net positive both offensively and defensively (Letang's a negative defensively relative to the rest of the team).
4. Crosby's line (so Guentzel and Simon as well) has really carried this team's good offensive numbers. Crosby's been terrific offensively (+34% threat level), while the rest of the team does nothing offensively (-7%). On the other hand, Crosby's line has been bad defensively this year, while the rest of the team has been great defensively. This is probably due to Malkin missing a lot of time, though.
5. Malkin's been great offensively this year, but god damn he's been a defensive train wreck. He's at a +4% threat level defensively while the team overall is at a -17%.
6. Bjugstad does nothing positive defensively while hurting them offensively. Hornqvist, Galchenyuk and Rust does nothing positive offensively while hurting them defensively (although a small sample size in Rust's case).
7. Lafferty gets crazy overrated on here based on his actual on ice results. He's a slight positive defensively while being a huge negative offensively. Blueger is in a similar position, although better defensively.
8. McCann, Kahun and ZAR have been asininely good defensively while Tanev isn't far behind them. Kahun has probably been their best analytical forward outside of Crosby this year.
9. I think Tanev deserves his own point here, he's similar to Lafferty in that he's a massive negative offensively, but he's also been a huge positive defensively and he draws a ton of penalties.

Overall, while the team results are good, I think this is a pretty flawed team. Not flawed as in "bad", but flawed as in specialized. Things aren't evenly distributed like you want to see, you have 2 offense only lines and 2 defense only lines. I think a 3rd line with Kahun and McCann as 2/3rds of it has been showing signs it can become a positive both offensively and defensively, but it's not quite there yet. Your 4th line is capable of being a legit shutdown line, but they'll provide next to nothing for you offensively. All of your offense is going to come from your top-6 if the 3rd line doesn't develop further. Your top-6 will be bad defensively, but that's fine as long as you have a great defensive bottom-6 (which they do). It's the same thing with the defense, the top pair is great, but the 2nd and 3rd pairs both have 1 huge strength and 1 huge flaw.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
This news really really sucks but I don’t have that same sinking feeling in my stomach that I get when I see Crosby get hit in the head. For whatever that’s worth.

Amen. When its the "we dont quite know what's wrong with him" that's when I start getting really scared.

Six weeks sucks, but 87/71 have been doing this for 10 years: One goes down or looks off for a bit, and the other picks up the flag and says "follow me". That + the spirit in this younger team makes me confident about seeing this through.

Sully said it when we had all the bodies missing at the start of the year. It was a next man up mentality, and I think these guys all play better when they do it with a chip on their shoulders.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Word on Chucky in AZ was that he started real slow last year after an injury (which sounds familiar) then really picked it up in the 2nd half. With the injuries up front you’d like that sort of timeline to accelerate a bit but I’m willing to give him some time.

Unfortunately, he’s out of time with all the injuries to their top players.

After Guentzel, he’s suppose to be their next best goal scoring winger.

He needs to step up now and help this team or JR needs to move on and find help, because there isn’t anyone in WBS after Lafferty I think helps them right now.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
My friend had the exact same injury and he was out of commission for 3 months. You have to think that with the professional care Sid will get, it'll be much sooner than that. 2 months tops IMO.

Hmm...well that sounds closer to 8-12 weeks then it does 6. But I'm not a doctor, trainer or professional athlete. Still going to try to stay positive. But if Geno is forced to play with Simon and Rust, instead of Jake and Rust, staying positive is going to be difficult. As I mentioned yesterday, I'd go with this:

Jake - Geno - Rust
Kahun - McCann - Tanev/Lafferty
Chucky - Bjugstad - Simon
ZAR - Bleuger - Lafferty/Tanev

Run with these PP's for a bit

Gally, Geno, (Bjugstad/Jake/McCann)
Schultz, (Tanev/Rust)

(Jake/Bjugstad), (McCann/Bjugstad), (Tanev/Rust)
Marino, Petterson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad