The All-Purpose Panic Thread

BlueAero

Apr 19, 2013
Houston, TX
I was in all panic mode but now I'm somewhere in the middle.

The Blues played the best game they've played in a while and matched a tough Hawks team all game and were really the better team for a lot of the game.

At the same time there's still a long way to go. As everyone remembers we went up on LA 2 games to none last year and then lost 4 straight. That was then and this is now but I'm still cautious.

This. Still, teams that take a 2-0 lead in the SC playoffs win 88% of the time so the odds are really favorable if (when) we win today. If we can eliminate Chicago's stretch passes and play the kind of lockdown D we did after the first period on Thursday, I like our chances a lot.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
This. Still, teams that take a 2-0 lead in the SC playoffs win 88% of the time so the odds are really favorable if (when) we win today. If we can eliminate Chicago's stretch passes and play the kind of lockdown D we did after the first period on Thursday, I like our chances a lot.

But I will point out that the Blues were up 2-0 against the Kings last year and lost 4 straight. I will remain in the middle for now until the Blues win THAT 4th game of any series.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Is Backes done for the series....this is true panic as the Blues are already down Berglund and were weak at center to begin with.

Hitch is saying that Backes is "not good". That was pretty obvious from what we seen on the ice, but a coach not even being guarded in his comments on a players status during the postseason? Impossible to get any grasp of the situation at this point, but I don't think it's possible to overplay how much losing Backes would impact our chances of a long run.

Bob McKenzie
‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
I'll bet Seabrook's violation is less Rule 48 (head shot), more interference (late) or charging (launching). @NHLPlayerSafety reviewing.

Bob McKenzie
‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
CHI-STL nasty old-time 70s/80s style hatefest. Bickell on Sobotka, Ott on Toews, Keith stickwork...Bet NHL will aim to turn down temperature

Seems like some mixed messages from Mac there. It's no secret that I utterly hate how pathetic the NHL are with suspensions, and I expect to be complaining more about their impotence again tomorrow.

HockeyGuy73

Oct 29, 2010
Tad south of STL.
Backes was pretty wobbly on a hit earlier in the season too, and I think he only missed a game or two. Hopping this is the same thing. Also, Backes foot was still bothering him, and it has been pointed out by many members of the forum. I'm not saying its a good thing he is out, but it will give that foot a little more time to heal.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Backes was pretty wobbly on a hit earlier in the season too, and I think he only missed a game or two. Hopping this is the same thing. Also, Backes foot was still bothering him, and it has been pointed out by many members of the forum. I'm not saying its a good thing he is out, but it will give that foot a little more time to heal.

Second concussion though, I fear he's done for several weeks.....which means the rest of the playoffs. Hard to imagine the Blues being able to go all the way without their 1C. But regardless of all else....I really want to eliminate the Blackhawks now, at all costs.

Jzk

Mar 12, 2009
No telling with concussions. Worst case is obviously he's just done. Best case is he's back for next season.

Jzk

Mar 12, 2009
That's actually not "best case" at all. That's worst case.

You really think that guy should be playing at any point in the playoffs? I don't know if Oshie should even be out there. Have we not learned how bad concussions are yet?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
You really think that guy should be playing at any point in the playoffs? I don't know if Oshie should even be out there. Have we not learned how bad concussions are yet?

Oshie is out there because he is fine to play. Players will play through injuries that can't be exacerbated, they won't be out there in situations where something relatively routine could become career threatening.

Nobody knows what Backes concussion is going to be like. Losing consciousness gives little indication of the significance of the concussion. The fact he had a concussion earlier in the year also plays no factor in this.

Concussions are extremely serious, but we've got to stop assuming that they all mean a player is going to be out for weeks/months and if they aren't then they are being rushed back. Symptoms can not be predicted.

The best case scenario is that he is back for Game 4, but obviously unlikely. It's too early to even consider how bad worst case is.

Quiddity

Feb 17, 2014
Oshie is out there because he is fine to play. Players will play through injuries that can't be exacerbated, they won't be out there in situations where something relatively routine could become career threatening.

Nobody knows what Backes concussion is going to be like. Losing consciousness gives little indication of the significance of the concussion. The fact he had a concussion earlier in the year also plays no factor in this.

Concussions are extremely serious, but we've got to stop assuming that they all mean a player is going to be out for weeks/months and if they aren't then they are being rushed back. Symptoms can not be predicted.

The best case scenario is that he is back for Game 4, but obviously unlikely. It's too early to even consider how bad worst case is.

Certain inference can be made as to the severity of the concussion by witnessing the force of impact and the immediate response to it. And, to my understanding, multiple concussions over the course of a season is most certainly a factor in how a player will be able to rehabilitate from the trauma.

I would be shocked to see Backes take the ice before the Conference Finals.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Certain inference can be made as to the severity of the concussion by witnessing the force of impact and the immediate response to it. And, to my understanding, multiple concussions over the course of a season is most certainly a factor in how a player will be able to rehabilitate from the trauma.

I would be shocked to see Backes take the ice before the Conference Finals.

Any inference that you can make from the force of impact and immediate response to it is very limited. It does not predict how long concussion symptoms will last, the best neurosurgeon in the world can't draw any solid conclusions from it. Losing consciousness does not go hand-in-hand with a bad concussion, but it will typically make someone more groggy in the immediate aftermath.

A history of concussions will always be a worry, to a degree. The fact it was earlier this season doesn't really come into it, he had recovered from his concussion symptoms. The worry about multiple concussions in a short period of time is largely linked to receiving a second concussion while still suffering symptoms from an earlier one. That isn't the case here.

I do agree that we probably shouldn't be expecting him back before the Conference Finals, but we just don't know. The Blues medical staff won't know either.

superblues

:sarcasm: implied
Oct 29, 2011
Frankly, I could care less that this is a playoff game and the refs need to "let them play". We as fans need fair play. We want to beat the Hawks fair and square. Not calling penalties or not properly suspending flagrant violators corrupts the game.

Im quoting this poster from another thread because I think my response is more appropriate in this thread...

It's unpopular, especially around "true fans" but I'm sick of the "let 'em play" mentality, playoffs or no. I'm tired of the flexibility of the rule book and those who interpret it. I have no problem with a hard hitting game so long as the hits are clean and legal. I'm sick of "the code" and I'm sick of the notion that players should police themselves. I'm sick of clutch-and-grab and legalized obstruction. I'm sick of incompetent and inconsistent officiating. I'm sick of justifications for dirty plays like "he should have kept his head up" and "he shouldn't have been admiring his pass". I'm sick of staged fights and "sending a message". You want to send a message? Win the ****ing game. That's the only message that actually matters.

I'm sick of seeing quality players having their careers prematurely shortened by marginal players barely capable of handling a puck. I'm sick of the glorification of the Scott Stephenses of the game.

I'm all for wearing down your opponent with physical play, legally. I like big hits, but I greatly prefer unbelievable passes, stunning goals and impossible saves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad