Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread | Simon Recalled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yeah. I'm totally ok with Sullivan being replaced in the off-season. His ego, which has lead to a Dan Bylsma-esque inability, actually, refusal is a better term, to make adjustments. His lineup decisions are putting his team in a position to lose.

Unless somehow he leads his team deep into the playoffs (they have the horses to do this, still), totally okay with him being axed.

That's a bit extreme ...

Reactions: PensandCaps

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
The problem with this theory, though, is Sid never looks good with Rust. He looks frustrated playing with Rust. If Sid had his pick and choose, why would he insist on someone he himself should realize he doesn't mesh with?

Because he doesn't think he meshes with anyone except for Guentzel (and Kunitz)

You need to trust me on this.

Reactions: KIRK

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Because he doesn't think he meshes with anyone except for Guentzel (and Kunitz)

You need to trust me on this.

Then why is Guentzel ever removed from his line?

I'm not saying Crosby doesn't have preferences, I'm just finding it hard to believe he's got a big say in who he plays with. If he had that much control over his linemates, Guentzel would never be taken off his line and Hornqvist would never be put on it. Yet both things have occurred, and for long stretches of games.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I’d run with

Guentzel Sid Kessel
Hagelin Malkin Rust
Simon Brassard Hornqvist
Kuhnackl Sheahan Sheary

But it’s more likely to be

Guentzel Sid Simon
Hagelin Malkin Hornqvist
Rust Brassard Kessel
Kuhnackl Sheahan Rowney/Sheary

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Then why is Guentzel ever removed from his line?

I'm not saying Crosby doesn't have preferences, I'm just finding it hard to believe he's got a big say in who he plays with. If he had that much control over his linemates, Guentzel would never be taken off his line and Hornqvist would never be put on it. Yet both things have occurred, and for long stretches of games.

How often has Hornqvist played with him since the 2016 playoffs?
Jake was taken off his line when both he AND Jake were floundering during the first 3 months of the season.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Jake was taken off his line when both he AND Jake were floundering during the first 3 months of the season.

Sheary/Crosby/Hornqvist was a line for pretty much all of last regular season, until like the final 15 games of the season.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
We were playing great when we were running Malkin-Rust-Hagelin, then paired Guentzel & Kessel together before Sully inexplicably broke all that apart and completely f***ed up the lines..

Reactions: ncm7772

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't even buy that you need Rowney for PK duties because he can take faceoffs. The only unit that absolutely needs a center is the first unit for the initial draw. After that you generally change on the fly. And if there's another faceoff soon after Sheahan leaves the ice, surely Crosby or Brassard can take it, then hop off the first chance they get.

Heck, Toronto's top PK unit is usually Komarov and Hyman, neither of which are even centers.

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
That'
31.6%CROSBY,SIDNEY - HORNQVIST,PATRIC - SHEARY,CONOR
28%CROSBY,SIDNEY - GUENTZEL,JAKE - RUST,BRYAN
19.3%CROSBY,SIDNEY - GUENTZEL,JAKE - SHEARY,CONOR
10.9%CROSBY,SIDNEY - SHEARY,CONOR - SIMON,DOMINIK
10.2%CROSBY,SIDNEY - GUENTZEL,JAKE - HORNQVIST,PATRIC
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That's 2017-2018. 41.8% of the time. So my guess is a lot.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
well at least Murray skated on his own and not off in a dark room somewhere.
now at least one of the goalie call-ups was due to Murray being injured, I thought that injury callups don't count against the limit. to lazy to go lookup the rule right now ;)

I mean if we are down to only one callup left, then there is literally no way Sprong is coming up until wbs season is done. I really wanted Sprong to get a second shot on a line with Sid *THIS* season. JR needed to moneyball sully's toys away...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That'

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

See, this is what I mean. If Crosby has as much sway as people say in picking linemates, and if he hates Hornqvist that much, why has he played with Hornqvist so much?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
He's doing nothing to put this team in the best position to win. It appears to me his ego is more important than winning. How else do you explain his decisions?

Not trying to argue or be rude, but explaining why I'm a bit extreme ATM.

What is wrong with you? Come on now. Sullivan could miss the playoffs and he still wouldn't deserve to get fired.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
What is wrong with you? Come on now. Sullivan could miss the playoffs and he still wouldn't deserve to get fired.

Well if he misses the playoffs you can’t fire all the players so that leaves the coach. If we had major injuries he’d get a pass but we haven’t.

We are making the playoffs anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: ncm7772

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
See, this is what I mean. If Crosby has as much sway as people say in picking linemates, and if he hates Hornqvist that much, why has he played with Hornqvist so much?
That'

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

What are the stats after Jake's second call up when he PERMANENTLY joined the team?

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY

Opinions differ, bro.

My opinion is that he doing one of the worst things you can do as a head coach, and that is play your favorites over other players that give your team the best chance to win.

If you aren't bothered by his lineup decisions, that's cool, but most people are. His asinine decisions are KILLING this team right now, and have at other times this year, as well.

To quote another member;

"We were playing great when we were running Malkin-Rust-Hagelin, then paired Guentzel & Kessel together before Sully inexplicably broke all that apart and completely ****ed up the lines.."

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What are the stats after Jake's second call up when he PERMANENTLY joined the team?

No clue. But I'm not sure why Guentzel being on that line precludes Hornqvist since one (primarily) plays LW and the other (primarily) RW.

I mean, even if he insists on Guentzel, you still need a RWer. And the options are Rust, Hornqvist or a Sheary on his off-wing. I don't think Sid has played with one of those more than the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad