Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread | Simon Recalled

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Still think the best course of action atm is to run Sid, G, Sheahan. Rowney down the middle and simply letting Brassard fill in for ZAR while he's out.
Putting Sheahan in unfamiliar spots + expecting Brassard to be a Bones or Cullen is a terrible strategy.

I'd run something like:

Jake/Brass-Sid-Horny
Hags-G-Rust
Brass/Jake-Sheahan-Phil
Rowney C'ing 2 of Simon, Sheary, Kuhn and played sparingly.

Other thing is sticking Sheary where he could get his game back potentially:

Sheary-Sid-Horny
Hags-G-Rust
Jake/Brass-Sheahan-Phil
Brass/Jake-Rowney-Simon/Kuhn or Simon-Brass-Rowney/Kuhn

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Still think the best course of action atm is to run Sid, G, Sheahan. Rowney down the middle and simply letting Brassard fill in for ZAR while he's out.
Putting Sheahan in unfamiliar spots + expecting Brassard to be a Bones or Cullen is a terrible strategy.

I'd run something like:

Jake/Brass-Sid-Horny
Hags-G-Rust
Brass/Jake-Sheahan-Phil

Sheary-Sid-Horny
Hags-G-Rust
Jake/Brass-Sheahan-Phil

“Best course of action” and Rowney the 4C and even worse Rowney the 4C with Brassard/Guentzel his LW is

rOg0X.gif

EDIT: I don’t think your completely off but Sheary shouldn’t be rewarded til he shows it. The 4th line until he proves otherwise. Sheary, Sheahan and a harder RW will help. Rowney shouldn’t play.

Last edited:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

I'd run something like:

Jake/Brass-Sid-Horny
Hags-G-Rust
Brass/Jake-Sheahan-Phil

Sheary-Sid-Horny
Hags-G-Rust
Jake/Brass-Sheahan-Phil

Dont think it matter what line Sheary is on until he corrects his main problem..strength. Being that short he should have been focusing on his build(lower body mainly). Theres plenty of small players who dont get knocked off the puck that easily. And the fact he knows it will happen makes him spaz out like that. The guy is always at full speed..skating and decision making.

Add some muscle, gain some confidence because of it...and he can play a much simpler game. He has the talent. Weve seen him make some great plays and take some nice shots. But usually happens when nobody is near him.

May sound far fetched to some but its helped so many players improve their game after finding the right trainer. Nothing can be done about his reach(playing with a mini stick) but will allow him to play to his potential..he has the skill.

Wouldnt give up on him yet, since we wouldnt get a good return in a trade.

Last edited:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
“Best course of action” and Rowney the 4C and even worse Rowney the 4C with Brassard/Guentzel his LW is

rOg0X.gif

Well, they went on their run with Sheahan as the 3C and Rowney centering the 4th with what was it? Sheary/Simon-Rowney-Reaves since Kuhnackl was out with injury.

They're trying to force Brassard into a Bones/Cullen role while giving him Sheary-Phil as wingers to accomplish it(lol) and putting Sheahan(their best defensive C'men. the one that can win a draw and get it to the OZ) between Kuhnackl and Rowney or throwing him on LW with Brass or sometimes Sid.

They're trying to stuff round pegs in square holes atm.
Brass isn't Bones, Cullen or Sheahan.
Sheahan IS the Bones, Cullen atm.
Your 4th line just needs to keep it's head above water.(which Sheary/Simon-Rowney-Reaves did during their run).

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Well, they went on their run with Sheahan as the 3C and Rowney centering the 4th with what was it? Sheary/Simon-Rowney-Reaves since Kuhnackl was out with injury.

They're trying to force Brassard into a Bones/Cullen role while giving him Sheary-Phil as wingers to accomplish it(lol) and putting Sheahan(their best defensive C'men. the one that can win a draw and get it to the OZ) between Kuhnackl and Rowney or throwing him on LW with Brass or sometimes Sid.

They're trying to stuff round pegs in square holes atm.
Brass isn't Bones, Cullen or Sheahan.
Sheahan IS the Bones, Cullen atm.
Your 4th line just needs to keep it's head above water.(which Sheary/Simon-Rowney-Reaves did during their run).

Rowney has 0 points in 2018 and 2 points since the 21st October, 2017.

If he’s keeping his head above water I don’t see it.

depositphotos_2086011-stock-photo-ocean-storm.jpg

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
On offense, as everyone has stated, we need to start rolling four lines. Trust the youth. Playoffs let's see:

Guentzel Sid Sprong
HGH
ZAR Brassard Kessel
Sheary Sheahan Rust

If the lack of size on the fourth is a concern, swap Rust and Horny. I don't think Sheary's done contributing, but I'd reduce his role, then let him build back up. I don't think short of playing guys on their off wing, that there's a way to not stick a too talented guy on the 4th, but that's probably a good problem to have.

On defense, should we spread out our top four in order to minimize the bottom pairing's issues? Maybe playing stronger players with lesser players brings out the best attributes in the other sometimes. Something like:

Dumo Letang
Oleksiak Schultz
Maata Ruhwedel

The top would still be the same. The middle line gets more physicality with Oleksiak but Oleksiak doesn't have a burden of a partner, instead he has a skilled counterpart. Ruh makes up for Maata's slow speed, and Maata can cover for Ruh defensively since he's less experienced. Still better than Hunwick, and no one playing their off side either.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Well...we got Tobias Lindberg for Reaves...6'3 and fast. So we possibly upgraded on Archibald because of Reaves.
Im not sure hes ours for real. He got loaned back to his old team right away after the trade. Wouldnt surprise me if he was just a paper transaction, and if Vegas wants him back after the season we will give him to them for "future considerations"'.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Rowney has 0 points in 2018 and 2 points since the 21st October, 2017.

If he’s keeping his head above water I don’t see it.

depositphotos_2086011-stock-photo-ocean-storm.jpg

Obviously not saying Rowney needs to play but if he has to be in the lineup right now him C'ing a 4th line that gets played sparingly is the best place for him. Not anchoring him to your best 2-way C.
During their run Sully double shifted Sid with his wingers as well.
Rowney wasn't used for his offense. He was used to win DZ draws and his line being decent enough to get the puck to the OZ.

Only way Brass+Sheahan works as the #3-4C's is a)giving Sheahan the majority of the DZ draw responsibilities with competent wingers. Something that can be done even with Phil on his RW ala HBK and b) having Brass+Sid's lines setup best to win DZ draws and get to the OZ. Jake-Sid-Rust/Horny should be ok'ish at it but Sheary-Brass-Phil will ALWAYS be terrible at it.

If i was going for no Rowney or Kuhn atm:

X-Sid-X
Hags-G-Rust
X-Sheahan-Phil
X-Brassard-Horny

would be my template and lines 3 and 4 get the DZ start responsibilities but you can throw Sid out there in place of Brass for the FO.
Can also flip Rust and Horny or Phil back with G(sorry KIRK) and Horny+Rust are Sheahan+Brass's RW'ers(prefer Sheahan-Rust).

Also shows you why i'm not opposed to being afraid of going back to some rendition of Sid and the kids cuz it releases Rust and Horny down to where they are needed atm, for me.
And hey, they refuse to play Horny with Sid anyway, so...

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Obviously not saying Rowney needs to play but if he has to be in the lineup right now him C'ing a 4th line that gets played sparingly is the best place for him. Not anchoring him to your best 2-way C.
During their run Sully double shifted Sid with his wingers as well.
Rowney wasn't used for his offense. He was used to win DZ draws and his line being decent enough to get the puck to the OZ.

Only way Brass+Sheahan works as the #3-4C's is a)giving Sheahan the majority of the DZ draw responsibilities with competent wingers. Something that can be done even with Phil on his RW ala HBK and b) having Brass+Sid's lines setup best to win DZ draws and get to the OZ. Jake-Sid-Rust/Horny should be ok'ish at it but Sheary-Brass-Phil will ALWAYS be terrible at it.

Obviously he wasn’t used for offense because he hasn’t scored or assisted in 2018.

Now to his faceoffs. In 2018 he’s at 58%. Someone at 45% would only be 0.7 faceoff wins a game behind. It’s not a reason to have him in the side.

He should be the first guy out and never return. He brings nothing, nada, zip.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Obviously he wasn’t used for offense because he hasn’t scored or assisted in 2018.

Now to his faceoffs. In 2018 he’s at 58%. Someone at 45% would only be 0.7 faceoff wins a game behind. It’s not a reason to have him in the side.

He should be the first guy out and never return. He brings nothing, nada, zip.

Disagree. Kuhnackl should be the first one.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Disagree. Kuhnackl should be the first one.

What does Rowney do better than Kuhnhackl?

I mean, we're splitting hairs a bit here since it's like asking whether you'd rather fall in mud with your new clothes on or fall in mud and then have a bird crap on you in your new clothes, but of the two Kuhnhackl is at least an NHL player (even if he's a fringe one). Rowney's an AHL player who had a miracle run last year and has since stuck around because his coach fell in love with him.

Reactions: vabm8 and Tom Hanks

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

I mean, we're splitting hairs a bit here since it's like asking whether you'd rather fall in mud with your new clothes on or fall in mud and then have a bird crap on you in your new clothes, but of the two Kuhnhackl is at least an NHL player (even if he's a fringe one). Rowney's an AHL player who had a miracle run last year and has since stuck around because his coach fell in love with him.

Speaking of him, wasnt he expected to be more of an offensive guy with a great shot? Its good to see he worked on other areas, but where did his shot go?

I remember people being excited about him because of that

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Well, he can win a draw 58% of the time in 2018 and is better on the boards(although not by much but a touch better at winning a puck and moving it).
Rowney's also clearly played with an injury for the majority of this season.

But i agree that they both are extra F's at best in this league.
I'd prefer a Wilson or Archibald over either.
I'd prefer to give Bleuger a spin than to continue playing Rowney at C.

My point about going with him at 4C right now is he played there when things were going well.
It's an option that has worked this season.
And i dunno if he'll ever go out if Sully starts Brass in the OZ alot more like he did vs BOS.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Start giving some dmen some rest and play some of the ahl'ers to see what we have.

Wont count against the number of call ups if they say theres an injury. Which im sure theyve already done before.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Start giving some dmen some rest and play some of the ahl'ers to see what we have.

Wont count against the number of call ups if they say theres an injury. Which im sure theyve already done before.

They’re not even a lock for the playoffs yet, they should probably worry about that first.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

They don’t need a rest. They need to work harder at defense (forwards included).

Last 10 games we have scored 43 goals. Which is crazy! We’ve only won 6 of those games which is crazier!

Let’s start with Ruhwedel in, Hunwick out first

EDIT: Any D in the AHL that we’d call up are injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad