Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread - It's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Not the cups, but he had a great rookie season, and then lost it.

Obviously you can argue the semantics, but not every parallel is exactly the same. I think you know what I meant.

I dunno if any tragedy precipitated Mason's fall from grace, but Murray deserves the benefit of the doubt considering everything he went through last year.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Not even looking for a #1. Just gimme NHL average.

NHL average over 20 games or NHL average over 50? Because the latter's a #1 and I'm not really sure what's the point of the former as we're still in the same place of worrying about #1.

Not to mention Murray and Jarry weren't that far below NHL average last season with DeSmith above.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I meant that as a parallel to Murray, not as a replacement.

I agree. I was just informing you that Mason had injuries lately, too.

The fact he isn't signed yet, kinda makes me think he's got post concussion syndrome from his last concussion in..March? His numbers weren't great lately, but, the buyout was for a reason. Unless he's got something similar to what Lehner had going on and teams are avoiding him?

So. Not sure signing him helps currently. There's also no better UFA goalies available.:(

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Not the cups, but he had a great rookie season, and then lost it.

Obviously you can argue the semantics, but not every parallel is exactly the same. I think you know what I meant.

Sure and I still think you are wrong. Murray has shown he can hack it under intense pressure and come out on top. We all expected some level of growing pains and last year there were extenuating circumstances. I still think it's early to predict a career like Mason moving forward, but it's possible.

Injuries appear to be his greatest risk to achieving his potential, but time will tell.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Which vet was/is out there who'd provide that sort of voice in Murray's ear and also be a good guy in net if needed - while not objecting to the fact he was blatantly meant to still be 2nd choice if a long injury happened to Murray?

I'm not totally opposed to the idea (although I believe Murray can and probably will figure out the mental side without needing another mentor and also generally favour backing our own products) but I'm curious as to just how realistic an option this is.

Kari Lehtonen still isn't signed from what I can tell. Sure he has had his ups and downs, but last year played 37 games with a 2.56GAA and .912SV%. He has a wealth of experience and while inconsistent as a starter, could probably provide some valuable experience for Murray.

McElhenny was available on waivers and has been a journeyman and probably more comfortable and willing for back up role vs Lehtonen.

Those are just 2 examples off top of my head.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Kari Lehtonen still isn't signed from what I can tell. Sure he has had his ups and downs, but last year played 37 games with a 2.56GAA and .912SV%. He has a wealth of experience and while inconsistent as a starter, could probably provide some valuable experience for Murray.

McElhenny was available on waivers and has been a journeyman and probably more comfortable and willing for back up role vs Lehtonen.

Those are just 2 examples off top of my head.

I wouldn't have objected massively to either, but last season was the first time Lehtonen's achieved league average for a while and McElhenny hasn't really shown he can handle a lot of work for a while... although that doesn't matter so much if promoting Jarry past him. I'm not super keen on them. Still, if Murray really does need that voice, worth it. If.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Plus, Lehtonen is coming off a 5mil contract. Would he rather fade into Euro leagues or get offered a peanuts contract by JR??

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
All is well now... I realized I hadn’t shaved off my mullet avatar after the playoff loss... im sure the avatar change will usher in a new era of fine defensive play and confident goaltending... if the staff takes the hint lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad